Dongar dashcam adapter - It's the shizzle

Yeah I have a 2022 CX-5 S "preferred" Its a lower S model with some gadgets added on.. and it still had the auto dimming homelink mirror. Evidently in 2019 then went from a mirror with a black plastic border. Someone with more knowledge can correct me. but I don't believe the mirror has changed since they went to the frameless. 2017-2022 Mazda CX-5 Mirror, Auto-Dimming, Homelink 0000-8C-R06 | RealMazdaParts.com
I stand corrected. I thought the frameless homelink mirror was standard, but evidently you can still get a model with the framed mirror. It appears my 'preferred' packaging delivered the frameless mirror.

CX-5 2.5 S PREFERRED
The new CX-5 2.5 S Preferred package will add a power moonroof and power rear liftgate from the previous model. Inside are black or silk beige leather seats with both driver and passenger receiving power adjustability in eight-way and six-way, respectively. The driver’s seat also includes two-position memory. Auto-dimming rearview mirrors with Homelink is also added to this package.

I can confirm that the Donger from the Amazon link works perfectly on my 2022 CX-5 S non-turbo with non-frameless mirror, plug and play! My garage door opener works when power to car is off and dash cam turns on when the car starts.
My only issue was getting the mirror cover off which took a little bit of work but I got it done.
The dash cam is mostly hidden behind the mirror from my point of view when driving and I do keep the screen turned off.

Attachments

• C5AAD434-34EA-4329-91E7-6E18F845AE13.jpeg
    C5AAD434-34EA-4329-91E7-6E18F845AE13.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 15C17542-356E-4033-B93E-6789A7D2EF9C.jpeg
    15C17542-356E-4033-B93E-6789A7D2EF9C.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 246
Man that adapter is such a find. I have never been able to skip running wires from the fusebox up and around the windshield. So nifty.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-08-15 16-12-31.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-15 16-12-31.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 193
When removing the thingy, pry the 2 sides apart only, do not pull down
Exactly! I tried pulling apart by hand and how they did it in the video from the bottom edge, but neither really worked for me. I found it easiest to put a plastic pry bar inside the large opening where the mirror comes through, not the vent, of the two pieces and then pulled to the side (right in my case) to remove one of the edges

1692284485528.png

Apologies for posting on this old thread but I have this mirror. It does have auto sensing dimming and the home link (garage door opener) on there. This is the framed version I believe?
Do I use the Type E or should I use other version?

Or would it be easier for me to just open up and confirm the size that way so I don’t have to go back and forth?

View attachment 321586
Apologies for posting on this old thread but I have this mirror. It does have auto sensing dimming and the home link (garage door opener) on there. This is the framed version I believe?
Do I use the Type E or should I use other version?

Or would it be easier for me to just open up and confirm the size that way so I don’t have to go back and forth?
It makes more sense to open it up. It's surprisingly easy to do on the CX-5 (unlike my Civic). Though instead of the Dongar, I plan to use this one from MX5 Things, as I plan to use a Thinkware camera.

If you have the framed mirror with the older 10-pin plug (as seen below), buy the Type A.
20230813_232930.jpg

If you have a different plug, buy the Type E.

Though it may be best to buy both and return the one that doesn't work. I've heard that the framed mirrors may use the Type E plug from the frameless mirrors.

I wish Amazon or Dongar still had these in stock. It seems like the 10 pin type A is if you want to plug it in to the back of the mirror, and the type E is if you want to pop the cover off and pull from power in there. Neither are in stock : (

all homelink mirrors have two power sources.
constant 12v (even if the car is off) and switched 12v.
One can use either depending on the needs.
What. I was told the mirror wasn't powered when the car is off so I needed the hardwire kit...so I have that on the way from Viofo. Ugh.

I wish Amazon or Dongar still had these in stock. It seems like the 10 pin type A is if you want to plug it in to the back of the mirror, and the type E is if you want to pop the cover off and pull from power in there. Neither are in stock : (
Ok, so what's the difference between the two sources? Maybe I can cancel the order for the hardwire kit.

Ok, so what's the difference between the two sources? Maybe I can cancel the order for the hardwire kit.
It’s if you want to pull power from outside the mirror vs inside the mirror itself. Same power source, one is from the plug on the back of the mirror and the other is where that same plug connects but on the inside the mirror.

The Viofo mk3 cable will provide you extra protection if that puts you at ease. It’ll stop providing power when the car battery dips below a voltage you select on the Viofos harness.

It’s if you want to pull power from outside the mirror vs inside the mirror itself. Same power source, one is from the plug on the back of the mirror and the other is where that same plug connects but on the inside the mirror.

The Viofo mk3 cable will provide you extra protection if that puts you at ease. It’ll stop providing power when the car battery dips below a voltage you select on the Viofos harness.
Ok, that is good to know. I didn't know it had that functionality. Seeing some reports that these newer CX-5 batteries may be sketchy, I don't really trust them. Especially if my car ends up sitting for a few days to a week.

Back