• YES with aftermarket tires

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • NO with aftermarket tires

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
I'm doing a pole here to see if you think the CX5 has high road noise. I especially want to see if there is a difference between the Yokohama Geolander G91A 17" tires and the Toyo A23 19" tires. Please select the vote that applies to the tire size you have.

Compared to our other cars- past and present, I don't hear much of a difference. This is with a 2014 GT. The other cars we have or had include a Toyota sienna, Honda CRV, Honda Accord, Toyota Avalon, and a Subaru outback.

I can confirm the 2014 CX-5 GT is quieter than the 2012 5 GS in city and highway driving. Both with stock exhaust and tires/rims.

Few notes:
1. 'Road noise' is a bit vague; there is powertrain related noise, wind noise, external noise (e.g. from a truck). 'tire noise' is more specific.
2. Obviously, measuring noise level would be more scientific way of doing this; with all good intentions, people are subjective and may compare noise level in different categories of cars. For example, Lexus vs. Dodge Neon.
3. If anything, there is some wind noise in my CX-5. No complains about tire noise.
2. I rode in a CX-5 with non-OEM tires, which are supposedly better, at least according to tirerack. Tire noise was about the same.

Road noise/tire noise is a non-issue in my 2013 GT equipped with 19" Toyo tires.

It's at a low enough level to be similar to several Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Toyota vehicles driven and/or owned equipped with grand touring or all-season type tires.

Yeah I know the noise level is subjective (versus instrumented testing which doesn't tell the whole story really), but I have very good hearing and a broad exposure to a wide variety of vehicles.

When I recently had my stock intake and exhaust back on, ride was quiet, I am using 20" wheel with summer tires.

Couple of things I've noticed; if you tend not to listen to the radio or listen to AM radio than the road noise may never really bother you because its highest in the lower frequency range. If you dont drive on the highway a lot than you may never really notice it and the opposite is true in if you drive on the highway a lot you'll notice it. If you want to listen to the radio while driving on the highway that is where its most noticeable and annoying. The low frequency rumble from the tires drowns out all the other frequencies from the stock speakers and makes it very hard to make out the vocals in the music. This is of course my observations. I never really noticed it much either until I started doing almost all highway driving. I used a decent Radio Shack meter to measure this road noise with two frequency ranges. They are 500 hertz to 10,000 hertz and 32 hertz to 10,000 hertz. With the setting on the 500 hertz to 10,000 hertz I get a very respectable 68 dB traveling at 70 mph on the highway, almost luxury car levels. With the setting starting at the lowest frequency of 32 hertz its a whopping 85 decibels at that same speed. 85 decibels is as loud as a circular saw cutting wood and the threshold by which hearing loss begins. I came from a 2001 Toyota Tundra, which was bank vault quiet compared to the Mazda CX5. That was such a good truck.

It’s amazing that there has been 308 views and only 34 votes. What gives?

It’s amazing that there has been 308 views and only 34 votes. What gives?

many people, myself included, like to browse without logging in.. and it's a lot of work to log in just to vote on a poll :)

Also, non-members, search indexers and automated scripts all make up a portion of the views.

Back to the topic:
I voted that my 17 inch tires do not make a lot of road noise.
This is true on good pavement and concrete, but on old cracked pavement they do make some noise, but I blame that on the pavement not on the tires.

It's quieter than my CX-7 was and on that car when I switched at 50k to Nitto tires it became quieter but as the tires wore the noise returned until they were replaced again with Nitto's at 100k

It is a common trait for tires to become nosier as they wear, some worse than others.
The 17" Yoko Geolanders are some of the worst I've ever experienced this condition with. They were very subdued when they were new. 31,000 miles later, and they absolutely roar. I've been pretty displeased with these tires overall.
Personally, I've been wanting to replace them for a year now, mostly due to the roar, or "road noise". However, my wife wants to squeeze every last mile out of them. She seems inept when it comes to refinement sensibilities.

Road noise is almost always a condition of the tires on the vehicle, and the road surface they are riding on. The variable is how well has the manufacturer isolated the cabin from the tires/road, by means of design or engineering.

compared to my old '03 Accord, it's very quiet. In that car, you couldn't even have a conversation while driving on the highway without shouting.

It is a common trait for tires to become nosier as they wear, some worse than others.

Thanks, good reminder about this tendency and how some tires are worse than others in this regard.

25K+ miles on 19" Toyos, still quiet.

My Geolanders have plenty of tread left, perhaps this is the reason I think they are OK.
In any case, I am not going to stick with the OEM tires for sure.

Is it possible that GT vehicles have more insulation than other trims?

Is it possible that GT vehicles have more insulation than other trims?

From what I gather here, insulation is probably same on the 3 versions.

Regarding GT, beside tires, another consideration or difference is the Bose sound system and noise compensation capabilities might be impacting perceived road noise levels. Just a thought...

Results so far

Jeremy44 if you are voting for the snow tires than you voted for the wrong tire. Your vote should go under aftermarket tires unless you are referring to the stock tire then.

The results so far for the 17" are:
28% say YES
72% say NO

The results for the 19" are:
23% say YES
77% say NO

This is much closer than I thought it would be and so far they are basically a tie. Wish I could get more votes though.

I switch to Michelin Latitude Tour and that helped some, but then had Lizard Skin sprayed in wheel wells, under floor pan and under back tire, in inside door skins of all doors. Did foam under back tire. That absorbed a lot of noise, and then installed LLP - second under front carpet in various sections.

Back