Does Walk Away Lock turn on alarm?

:
Carless
Does walk away lock just lock your car or does it also turn your car alarm on?

I know its just called walk away lock and not walk away lock + alarm.

Curious if anyone knows definitively which prevents me from shaking my car.

I guess that would be an alarm?!? No need to be a smart ass. :D
I've never experienced that. I seriously don't think US CX-5s have an alarm.

Since there is no separate way to arm the alarm I would have to assume any time the car is locked the alarm is active.

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8fy4ee17e/contents/04080305.html

I don't think I've seen that icon in my dash.

No big deal but what cars don't come with an alarm? or theft deterrent system? I just have a stock car.

Either way by the looks of the link it will auto arm itself after about 20 seconds.

Its just when you use the key fob, 1 press locks the door, 2 presses activates the alarm. With walk away the car only beeps 1 and locks the car, so i was unsure.

Hmm, I wonder also since I always have to press my lock on my key fob everytime I walk away even though I hear it auto locking. Old habits...

Guess the best way to test it is by having someone stay inside the car and let it auto-lock and have that person open the door.

I would say it could be one of those if fitted features. In most of Europe, all CX-5s have a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser and alarm. To test it, leave a window open, lock the door then lean through the window and see if it goes off. Ours has a separate sounder that wails and not the horns.

Leave it a minute or so to arm first.

Last edited:
so i had a couple of minutes at lunch and saw when i did the walk away (or toss the key on the grass) the red lock in the dash cluster started to blink. So i'm assuming the alarm/anti-theft deterrant is active.

Next i'll try it with the window down and opening the door from the inside, stay tuned for future progress reports...

The manual covers how to arm the system (if your car has the theft deterrent system, which appears to be an intrusion system)

But it doesn't appear to mention what happens if you use the auto-lock function. I will try this out tonight when I get home.

I wonder if my CX-5 has the intrusion system? I'll have to check later

'The intrusion sensor uses ultrasonic waves to detect movement inside the vehicle and to raise an alert of an intrusion into the vehicle.

'The intrusion sensor detects certain kinds of movement inside the vehicle, however, it may also respond to phenomenon outside the vehicle such as vibrations, loud noise, wind, and air currents.'

so i had a couple of minutes at lunch and saw when i did the walk away (or toss the key on the grass) the red lock in the dash cluster started to blink. So i'm assuming the alarm/anti-theft deterrant is active.

Next i'll try it with the window down and opening the door from the inside, stay tuned for future progress reports...

Sweet! Per the manual, the red lock you mention, will flash twice per second for 20 seconds when activated. After 20 seconds, the security feature is armed.

Apparently it can also engage if the sunroof is open. If anyone has a cat, try throwing the cat through the sunroof to really test this intrusion feature out =D

Sweet! Per the manual, the red lock you mention, will flash twice per second for 20 seconds when activated. After 20 seconds, the security feature is armed.

Apparently it can also engage if the sunroof is open. If anyone has a cat, try throwing the cat through the sunroof to really test this intrusion feature out =D

well the lock was a slightly different icon, its just a lock not a car/lock combo, and it stayed on after 20 seconds, no additional noises or indications after 20 seconds.

someone try the cat method and film it, sure it would be useful to future owners

well the lock was a slightly different icon, its just a lock not a car/lock combo, and it stayed on after 20 seconds, no additional noises or indications after 20 seconds.

someone try the cat method and film it, sure it would be useful to future owners

Ah, yeah the manual shows a lock/car combo. Interesting.

I have this vision of a CX5with an alarm sounding and a panicking cat shredding all the seats at about 70 mph revolutions before crapping all over the place. Leaning in through an open window works ;-)

ok more updates.

1. Why cant you roll down the windows in accessory mode? I had to start the engine to roll the window down, annoying...

2. the icon is the same as the link above, its the lock/car combo, i couldn't see the full icon at the angle when i first tried it.

3. i had the window rolled down, shut the open door, beeped, tossed the key about 6 feet again and another beep (auto walk away). the car/lock Icon blinking the whole time.

4. reached in and unlocked the door lock button then opened the door, no alarm or anything.

5. shut the door and waved hand in front of the sensors, again using a USA car, and no alarm or noise.

Next i tried the same thing but pushing the lock on the key fob 2 times making the horn go off and tossing it in grass. reached in and opened the door again through the window, no alarm.

I'm not sure how "smart" this advanced keyless system is, unless the alarm goes off with only a trying to start the ignition without the key, i can see a broken window and person reaching it and it not making any noise.

I have this vision of a CX5with an alarm sounding and a panicking cat shredding all the seats at about 70 mph revolutions before crapping all over the place. Leaning in through an open window works ;-)

Definitely, I was just throwing a fun spin on it :). Look forward to finding out the answer! I can test it in a few hours but I hope someone beats me to it.

Definitely, I was just throwing a fun spin on it :). Look forward to finding out the answer! I can test it in a few hours but I hope someone beats me to it.

so i just tested it but it would be good to get someone else to confirm my findings, i might be high or drunk...

ok more updates.

1. Why cant you roll down the windows in accessory mode? I had to start the engine to roll the window down, annoying...

2. the icon is the same as the link above, its the lock/car combo, i couldn't see the full icon at the angle when i first tried it.

3. i had the window rolled down, shut the open door, beeped, tossed the key about 6 feet again and another beep (auto walk away). the car/lock Icon blinking the whole time.

4. reached in and unlocked the door lock button then opened the door, no alarm or anything.

5. shut the door and waved hand in front of the sensors, again using a USA car, and no alarm or noise.

Next i tried the same thing but pushing the lock on the key fob 2 times making the horn go off and tossing it in grass. reached in and opened the door again through the window, no alarm.

I'm not sure how "smart" this advanced keyless system is, unless the alarm goes off with only a trying to start the ignition without the key, i can see a broken window and person reaching it and it not making any noise.

What year and model do you have? Per the manual, it should detect and engage the alarm based on what you did.

Do you have anything blocking the theoretical intrusion sensor? The manual describes where it's placed and what may block it.

I'll try to link it here, for the 2018 model.
http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/04080300.html?kw=alarm&hw=alarm

What year and model do you have? Per the manual, it should detect and engage the alarm based on what you did.

Do you have anything blocking the theoretical intrusion sensor? The manual describes where it's placed and what may block it.

I'll try to link it here, for the 2018 model.
http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/04080300.html?kw=alarm&hw=alarm

I have a 2018 GT with the premium package (USA version), i picked up the last this past Friday, 3/30 and have about 60 miles and i'm trying to figure this out as its important to understand how this works so i can understand it and use it properly.

Nothing is blocking the sensor, i just reached in and waved my hand in front of it.

Back