Does the 2023 CX-5 Rear Window wiper lift up to clean?

Maybe a dumb question but I never had a rear wiper before. When I'm cleaning my front windshield I can pull the wipers up to standing to clean under them. My rear blade "looks" hinged but it doesn't seem to want to lift and I don't want to break anything. Please tell me if it does lift up. Thanks! 🙃

Maybe a dumb question but I never had a rear wiper before. When I'm cleaning my front windshield I can pull the wipers up to standing to clean under them. My rear blade "looks" hinged but it doesn't seem to want to lift and I don't want to break anything. Please tell me if it does lift up. Thanks! 🙃

Not a dumb question at all. On my CX-9, at the base of the wiper assembly, there is a plastic cover that you can pop off. That cover also prevents the blade from lifting off of the glass. So if you remove that cover, you'll be able to lift the wiper off the glass. Again, this is for my CX-9, but I imagine it should be the same for the CX-5.

Not a dumb question at all. On my CX-9, at the base of the wiper assembly, there is a plastic cover that you can pop off. That cover also prevents the blade from lifting off of the glass. So if you remove that cover, you'll be able to lift the wiper off the glass. Again, this is for my CX-9, but I imagine it should be the same for the CX-5.
Thanks--I'll check that out.

Here's a pic from my CX-9 (sorry, it's dirty af right now lol). I'm pretty sure you just pinch and pull and it'll come off.

20230323_145508.jpg

I've never seen rear wipers that actually stay up as the front ones do on any car....
See above wlong01’s post. I can lift the rear wiper all the way up like the front ones on my1998 Honda CR-V too.

Interestingly enough, the rear wiper on my daughter’s 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback has similar design like the CX-5. But when I lift the cover, it sways up with the base side always attached. Thus unlike the Mazda’s design I’ll never lose the cap if I forgot to put the cover back after the cleaning.

My 2023 turbo lifts just high enough to clean under it when I’m detailing the car. I did not have to remove anything in order to lift it. I’m not pulling it up much more than an inch or so, just enough to get under it.

Here's a pic from my CX-9 (sorry, it's dirty af right now lol). I'm pretty sure you just pinch and pull and it'll come off.

View attachment 318043

That's what the base cover plate looks like on my 2016.5 CX-5.

You grab each of the "ears" on the underside, then pull up. It covers the nut that holds the wiper arm onto the bolt. A minor pain, but quickly done for cleaning the wipers.

My 2023 turbo lifts just high enough to clean under it when I’m detailing the car. I did not have to remove anything in order to lift it. I’m not pulling it up much more than an inch or so, just enough to get under it.
My 16 and 19 both lift couple inches to get underneath the wiper too. Is the OP not able to move the wiper up and down?

Just to clean the rear glass, lifting it up by an inch or two is sufficient for the purpose.
I don't see it as a problem.

Just to clean the rear glass, lifting it up by an inch or two is sufficient for the purpose.
I don't see it as a problem.
yes, you're probably right. just didn't want to break the thing. it's just nice to stand the front wipers while I'm cleaning the car...

Just for future reference....
Removing that base cover plate, and standing the wiper up, makes it much easier to change the wiper.
(I'm not sure you can remove the wiper with the base cover plate in place.)

This is a link to a video showing how to remove the base cover plate, and then the wiper.

Just for future reference....
Removing that base cover plate, and standing the wiper up, makes it much easier to change the wiper.
And also makes cleaning that part of glass and wiper itself much earlier too.

(I'm not sure you can remove the wiper with the base cover plate in place.)
No, you can’t remove the blade without removing the cover to make the rear wiper arm standing up:

Back