does an exhaust reduce mileage?

ProFiver

:
2003.5 Silver Protege5, 2006 black Charger
so i was reading on the MOCC board that Alan got 35 mpg. people were sayin an exhaust reduces gas mileage. i was thinking of a racing beat but i don't want to get even suckier mileage. what yall kno?

i find the best thing for milage regardless of mods is going to be driving habits. you can get a few mpg from this or that, but you have to watch how you drive. I got 13 mpg at buttonwillow redlining it every shift, but i can get 35-36 on the highway keeping it at ~72 mph

also it depends on the type of driving you do normally. to save gas in the city learn to anticipate lights and accelerate and decelerate slow and smooth, dont use the AC, shift early. On the highway keep the windows up (using AC is fine) keep it under 75, reduce aerodynamic drag (remove roof racks, etc)

i dont think getting an exhaust will improve or worsen milage to a significant degree.

with all my mods on teh 1g, i went from 32 mpg to 35 consistently. thats conservative driving, under 85. thats not that bid of a difference, but exhaust/intake/etc helps the engine breathe better, making it do less work = better gas mileage

yeah, its all about driving habits...if i drive conservatively and avoid jackrabbit accelerations, i can get around 26+ mpg...however, if i use the triptronic and drive "spiritedly", then i usually get around 20-21 mpg...

On my old Acura I got a 5mpg bump when I installed a K&N short ram and exhaust.

Free flow from intake and exhaust helps it run smoother and breathe better.

otmsp said:
performance mods dont really help mpg.The answer is NO.
Performance mods such as exhaust and intake do help... the problem is that the driving style usually changes after you modify those two things. Since there is more noise... you usually shift at a higher rpm because you like hearing the noise, which in turn makes you use more gas.

I just took a trip from southern utah up to northern, was stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours, and the rest of the time averaged about 80mph, and still got 32 mpg on the tank of gas. All i have is a injen CAI and a custom magnaflow exhaust.

this just in...is the stock exhaust on the pro5 the same as the stock exhaust on a mazdaspeed? i wud assume it to be since that turbo would need a better way to relieve itself?

oh yeah anyone got a rb exhaust system to sell?

ProFiver said:
this just in...is the stock exhaust on the pro5 the same as the stock exhaust on a mazdaspeed? i wud assume it to be since that turbo would need a better way to relieve itself?

The stock MSP exhaust is an RB exhaust, different than P5

no they are not the same
ProFiver said:

i just got 30mpg without trying. Must be the Unichip leaning things out and saving me some gas! haha

wipedawg said:
Performance mods such as exhaust and intake do help... the problem is that the driving style usually changes after you modify those two things. Since there is more noise... you usually shift at a higher rpm because you like hearing the noise, which in turn makes you use more gas.

I just took a trip from southern utah up to northern, was stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours, and the rest of the time averaged about 80mph, and still got 32 mpg on the tank of gas. All i have is a injen CAI and a custom magnaflow exhaust.
yes your prbly right.but just the fact that one adds performance mods to a car means you`re looking for hp and to make that you needs GAS lots of GAS >.so the answer in my opinion is no hell no you wont save gas with an exhaust or much less cai and s*** like that .....I know i have lots of mods and if any mod would help mpg it would be something like an afc or unichip or such.my 2 cents.

Better airflow (i.e an aftermarket exhaust) will improve engine efficiency and overall improvement in mileage.

otmsp said:
performance mods dont really help mpg.The answer is NO.

but he wasnt asking if it helps, he was asking if it decreases

and yea i dont think it will matter as long as you keep same driving habbits then youll keep getting about the same mpg

SkinnyJoint said:
but he wasnt asking if it helps, he was asking if it decreases

and yea i dont think it will matter as long as you keep same driving habbits then youll keep getting about the same mpg
true! (thumb)

well i have been driving conservatively...you know accelerating smoothly and stuff, trying to coast whenever i can, and anticipating stuff. jus trying to get the most outta the crazy gas prices...prices have been going down tho. seeing 2.69 and 2.71 in san fran.

Latest posts

Back