Do I have a transmission problem?

jxs1

:
Mazda CX-9 Sport AWD 2010
I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 AWD with 37000 mi. When the car had less than 20000mi two years ago, I was told it had dirty transmission fluid. I took it to another shop for second opinion and was told the fluid was normal for the mileage of the car, so I didn't do anything.

Early this year, the car stalled once in the parking garage at work. I took it to the dealership as a precaution. They didn't find anything wrong other than dirty transmission fluid and changed/flushed it. For the last 3 days, I noticed faint buzzing sound when gear shifts. I can only hear it in quiet streets at work when I first drove it out of the garage in the afternoon. After driving less than half a mile, I can no longer hear it.

I bought the car new 4.5 years ago, so I hope anything major will still be covered under powertrain warranty. However, when I brought it in last time, I was charged a "diagnosis fee" for a total of almost $500 to just change the fluid. I was able to negotiate a discount after going back and forth with the sales person over the phone for over an hour, but still paid close to $400. Apparently, he had to "talk to the parts department" several times, reminding me car salesman talking to their managers... I'm not sure I want to go through that again. Should I take it to (another) dealership or a transmission shop (the AAMCO commercial comes into mind)?

Thank you for your help!
Jeff

When they did the trans flush and you picked up the car did you check the dipstick and see if the fluid was red. I had gone to a dealer that did the trans flush and it as i was watching through the window on the side of the building i saw that he may have used no more than 3 quarts of new fluid. When i questioned this the tech had told me he flushed it twice which was a lie. I did this because when i checked the dipstick which you should have being a 2010 year, i saw that the fluid was still a bit dark. I have since gone to another dealer where they let you watch and when i check the dipstick the fluid is always red. Also on another note a few people on this forum perform this service every 15 to 20k miles as to prevent trans failure. I have it down every 20k miles. It is cheap insurance.

Thank you for your reply, kornholio. Yes, I did check the color, it is red.

When you are near the mileage for the trans flush. Go to the mazdausa website and look for a coupon. I pay 162 dollars including the tax for my trans flush. When you schedule the appointment tell them that you are just bringing it in for the trans flush. You can also print out coupons for other stuff that you may look to do as well.

Back