Do all P5s come with Keyless?

GraySurf

:
2002 Protege5 5spd
After a mini wrench meet the other day with brian_k and Jigabro it was brought to my attention that i should have keyless entry on my car. I don't have any remotes and I have read all the threads about programming new remotes. But I cant find something that says that Keyless was STANDARD on all Protege5s. Anyone know? or know where the keyless receiver would be so i can just look and see.

I believe the keyless box is a clear box hanging under the left side of the dash. You should be able to see it if you remove the flat side panel on the driver's side where the door reveals when it opens.
thats where/what I think it is..

I think they just activate it if I am not mistaken. I currently don't have one but I am looking into it.

I wondered the same when I bought mine. I bought a remote on ebay for $20 followed the instructions and it worked fine. All the research I did came back saying it was standard equipment.

Sounds good. I do have a little clearish white control box behind the dash so i might have to just suck it up and buy a remote and do the program dance where you open and s*** the doors hop on one foot and stick out your tongue. wgb3 how has the ebay remote worked out for you, Ive read mixed reviews of it so far. some say it was as good as new some have said the are a refurbished pos. Let me know I'm ready to pull the $20 trigger.

It's something you can live without since you never knew about it until now. Me personally, I have it and all it does is locks itself after 2 minutes. Also with that I was really discourage when I found out that the 2002 models don't come with stock alarms. So if you need it don't waste your time or money on it, just go buy a real alarm and you will knock out two birds with one stone.

Ya but if I'm going to get an alarm its going to be one that kills the ignition, has motion sensors and pages me if someone farts too close to my car. and since i don't have $200, a $20 remote sounds great.

Don't know if you can find one anymore but I did a few yrs back. There is a factory alarm that does starter kill and has the vibration sensor for glass breakage. It plugs into the existing wiring harness in 3 or 4 places and you just have to ground 1 wire & make a hole for the blinking light IIRC. I drilled one of my switch blanks and put led there. I know folks said they had issues with them and got rid of them but mine has worked fine. I even bought a 2nd one for a backup if the 1st one failed. 1st one was brand new in the oem box for 47.00 complete with instructions. 2nd one was removed because someone got a different alarm but it was still working. Here is a pic of the oem stuff and instructions with part numbers in view in post #4..........

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123772331-P5-alarm-upgrade&highlight=P5+Alarm

No problems out of mine. Even had a good battery in it. Been using it for a month now. I can PM you the sellers info on eBay if you'd like.

This thread got my curious. When i bought my p5 it didnt come with a key fob or the original key so i just bought a key fob on ebay ill post the results when it comes in.

I must note that he does ask on his listing that you confirm that the remote will work with your car by checking the fccid# of your car, however i did not and just decided to roll the dice and and the remote ended up being the right one for my car.

Update, keyless4u, your awesome!

I also found a second remote on the net at Remote-Superstore.com for $12.95 with a broken case ( shows three available ). I in turn bought a brand new case for it on Ebay with Ebay Bucks. I only paid $5 out of pocket LOL. Just waiting for it in the mail so I can program them again for the final time. My P5 is a 2003 and came with the keyless entry already. Clear box to the upper left side under the dash.

This key fob from
keyless4u worked like a charm. Lights and horn go off like when I had my 01 LX 2.0 back in 2001. Man I miss that Protege. I finally can lock and unlock my doors wirelessly! Yea I bought two, one for me and one for the wife.... or as a back up.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing, since I just bought my P5, which came with only one key and no key-fobs. I did learn one thing though - you can call your local Mazda dealer, talk to the service department, and ask for a replacement key fob. You don't actually have to buy it from them (costs $150), but they will then ask for the VIN, and they can verify whether or not the car has keyless entry. Worked for me, and I didn't have to take my dash apart :)

You can then get a keyfob off ebay for about $30, and program it yourself.

Back