DIY coolant reservoir question

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
Since our reservoir is just an unpressurized tank, a custom/DIY tank is a pretty simple proposition... the one question I have is the best way to vent it, without risking spillage from sloshing coolant?

Doing some light searching, I've seen some OEM reservoirs that have a tee sticking out of the cap... one side of the tee is attached to the radiator cap and leads down to a straw in the reservoir. The other side of the tee is just an open vent with a tube angling down like the vent on our reservoir caps. Seems like this would be a good way to go, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for a part like that.

Anybody else have thoughts or ideas?

hi there, i also have a problem with coolant reservoir tank. I thought I was overheating only at high speeds,but it seams to be loosing coolant threw the vent on the reservoir? (pressure in cooling system?). Then it begins to overheat.....Since there isno rad cap, does the reservoir cap regulate the pressure? thanks

Any container with an small opening at the top will be fine. Just don't overfill the container and nothing should spill out. I know that I've seen universal coolant reservoirs at jegs.com. But when mine cracked, I pulled a new one from the junkyard for 4 bucks.

Untitled.png

This is how mine is set up. So that if it pressurizes and over flows into the upper tube.

Works fine.

What's your email. I'll send you pics of my new setup

photo13-4.jpg

Here is where it would sit, sleek and out of the way.... =)
photo16-2.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled a new one from the junkyard for 4 bucks.

any specific instructions on how to remove said reservoir ? i need to find a junkyard with a 3rd gen protege. Noob question:are the coolant reservoirs the same on a p5 and sedan?

Back