Difference between FP & FS protege engines??

TheMAN said:
stop making a more fool of yourself while you still can, ok?

how at all by speaking the plain and simple truth about the matter is it foolish? its not going to make worthwhile power by just dropping it in and running it off the american ECU, end of story. you're only 'right' by your own definition, like it or not. its already been said why the thing would not work for this particular customer regardless and you have not addressed those concerns. and hey if you want to trust an FS-ZE from ebay for $500 by all means go for it. as for dropping it in with the MP3 ecu and making a whopping extra 20whp on a tune not even designed for that motor - yeah, thats a GRAND idea. higher compression on MP3 ignition timing has already been proven to be a lousy combination.

TheMAN said:
I need not say anything more, I'm done with this thread

good because for all reasonable purposes, you are still wrong, and as usual more into picking fights with people than having a constructive argument. i respect your knowledge edwin and never said anything to warrant your insulting remarks. if you want to have an intelligent conversation, do so. you want to be a tactless arrogant jerk about a car thats been out of production for three years plus, do so. but you can't do both.

Captain KRM P5 said:
how at all by speaking the plain and simple truth about the matter is it foolish? its not going to make worthwhile power by just dropping it in and running it off the american ECU, end of story. you're only 'right' by your own definition, like it or not. its already been said why the thing would not work for this particular customer regardless and you have not addressed those concerns. and hey if you want to trust an FS-ZE from ebay for $500 by all means go for it. as for dropping it in with the MP3 ecu and making a whopping extra 20whp on a tune not even designed for that motor - yeah, thats a GRAND idea. higher compression on MP3 ignition timing has already been proven to be a lousy combination.

good because for all reasonable purposes, you are still wrong, and as usual more into picking fights with people than having a constructive argument. i respect your knowledge edwin and never said anything to warrant your insulting remarks. if you want to have an intelligent conversation, do so. you want to be a tactless arrogant jerk about a car thats been out of production for three years plus, do so. but you can't do both.

With that being said, thankyou Ken for explaning WHY it is not ok to install a FS-ZE in a 2002 mazda protege 5.

TheMAN said:
ok, 1st time:
did I say the?

NO.

and what did I say the 2nd time?

!= means
it's normally typed as != because it is easier to do so than looking up ≠.

And in case you failed 5th grade math:
≠ means "not equal to"

so now the 3rd time:
THIS auction https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) is for a 626 FS-DE, it is NOT the same motor as the Protege one and will NOT provide the same performance as a stock Protege motor

I don't know or care what your reading comprehension problem is, but I hate repeating myself and if you think I'm an asshole now, what was I doing before?

Being nice.
(owned)

Captain KRM P5 said:
yeah we've had this conversation, and without the JDM ecu or something mapped like it (standalone) you aren't going to net the 40hp gains over the DE with the stock american ECU. correct me if i am wrong, but using the intake manifold with the USDM ECU will not exactly work either and will throw a check engine light, rendering the car non-compliant for emissions, which in the state he lives in won't fly. same with using a standalone.

so unless you are finding 170hp FSZEs real cheap, its not cost effective for the purported gains you might get nor is it - to me - easy. but yes, it will drop in and bolt up. if it were that easy, you'd see 626s, Mx-6s, Probes and Proteges running around dropping these motors in left and right and talking about big gains.

my definition of easy is not your definition of easy though (spin)

If you leave the VICS/VTCS solenoids hooked up to electricity it won't throw a CEL. :)

Kansei said:
If you leave the VICS/VTCS solenoids hooked up to electricity it won't throw a CEL. :)

yes, i should have realized that as i preach the same thing with the 626 manifolds on the MSP. that said, the engine itself is not emissions compliant regardless. edwin and i shared a very constructive phone call today about this thread and that matter did come up.

its not that its not doable, but its not a plug-and-play-drive-away 170hp wunderkind and should not be percieved as such. to get the results to justify the cost, alot more would have to be done. thats been my point all along, not that it can't be done.

Back