Did I fry my PCM trying to fix a P0113?

khoney

:
2007 Cosmic Blue MS3, 2018 CX-9 Signature
Hi all,
Looking for a little help with my son's 2006 Mazda3s.

In diagnosing a P0113 code (IAT sensor circuit input high), I inadvertently shorted pins A and B of the MAF connector instead of pins D and E (I did not notice the view drawing showing the orientation being from the harness side, not the pin side, and given that you cant even access the pins from the harness side I assumed it was the pin side). I got a spark, and I believe this shorted B+ to GND back at the PCM. Need to find the wiring diagram to verify. Afterwards, I saw that the pin D wire had broken loose from the connector. I managed to resolder the wire to the pin in the connector, and was getting proper IAT temps using a scanner. However, when I started the car up, it was running very rough, barely able to idle, and I had no throttle response. Something seriously wrong. The codes below all came up when running. I suspect that I fried the PCM, given that these are unrelated circuits (other than all being PCM-controlled). The other commonality is that they are all fed from the main relay. I swapped the main relay with one from my own Mazdaspeed3 and it made no difference. Before I dump $500 into a PCM for a car with 180K miles, Id like to hear if anyone has any other possible things to check?

P0102 MAF sensor circuit low input
P0403 EGR valve (stepper motor) circuit problem
P0443 Purge solenoid valve circuit problem
P2009 Variable tumble solenoid valve circuit low input
P2088 Oil control valve (OCV) circuit low
P2101 Throttle actuator circuit range/performance
P2128 Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor NO.2 circuit high input

Also, if I do have to replace the PCM, will I be able to start the car? Are there special procedures to marry the PCM with the vehicle?

I will hope for the best, but it sounds like you already know what happened. The ECU is likely fried. Yes the 3 does require the Mazda IDS software to program a new ECU to start the car.

I lucked out! Found someone with a very similar problem on another forum, and his post caused me to recheck the fuses. The ENGINE BAR 1 fuse had blown - don't know how I missed it when I was checking them them last night. I replaced the fuse, then the car would start and immediately die. I recleared all of the codes and all is well again. No codes, and she's running well again. Looks like I'll be able to enjoy the Sunday wildcard games after all :)

Back