Did Anyone Get A Tie Down Hook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
Occupied Calif.
:
2019 CX 5 GT-R
I was checking the tire pressure in my spare this morning and noticed that there is a cutout in the styrofoam panel forward of the spare for one of those eyelet type tie down hooks or tow hooks but the tool was missing. They are supposed to thread into the hole under the plastic covers on the front or rear bumpers.
Mazda shows it as part # KD53-50-EJ1B and I have attached a photo.

The manual says that the hook is just to tie down the vehicle while being transported but I thought they were also useful should your car end up in a ditch and someone wants to hook a cable onto it to recover the vehicle.

Anyway, did anyone receive the part with their CX 5 ? If so I am going to call the dealer and request that they send me one.

Attachments

• 8c8eeb4ed6c86546b16f09ba42730836.jpg
    8c8eeb4ed6c86546b16f09ba42730836.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 317
My manual shows a short and long version but both are marked with asterisks. I don't think I have either one but there is a yellow plastic round disk which also seems useless.

I never got one in my 16.5, I had thought i was the only unlucky person not to receive one. I do have the Yellow disc!

I was checking the tire pressure in my spare this morning and noticed that there is a cutout in the styrofoam panel forward of the spare for one of those eyelet type tie down hooks or tow hooks but the tool was missing. They are supposed to thread into the hole under the plastic covers on the front or rear bumpers.

The manual says that the hook is just to tie down the vehicle while being transported but I thought they were also useful should your car end up in a ditch and someone wants to hook a cable onto it to recover the vehicle.

Anyway, did anyone receive the part with their CX 5 ? If so I am going to call the dealer and request that they send me one.

I got one with my 19 but I had to ask for it. Call your dealer and ask for one. I'm sure they take them off the vehicles and send them back.
It's good if you end up in a ditch and bubba comes along in his monster truck.
I would think most tow operators have a supply of them.

The part number you quoted is the proper tow eyelet that should be used for recovery purposes. The hooks that the manual mentions are shipping eyelets that should only be used when the cars are on their way to the port. They are not suitable for recovery, which is why Mazda stopped leaving them in the cars starting in 2014.

I believe the part you need is about $15-20 at the dealer.

I don't have one and I forgot to ask the dealer for mine 6 months ago.. I wonder if it is too late!?

previously I had gathered this information
Front tow hookKD53-50-EJ1B
Rear tow hookKD53-50-EJ2B

note both will work in either location (threaded the same). The front part number is longer, to help clear plastic parts and such.

To expand on what @sm1ke said when indicating "not suitable for recovery" this like so many things, it is to reduce consumer lawsuits for improper usage.

If you have never done a vehicle recovery or have never been recovered there are a LOT of things that can go wrong..

don't be these people:

TLDR:
"stuck" and "recovery" mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Can these tow hooks be used for some recoveries - yes; can they be used for all recoveries - no.

Educate yourself BEFORE you need it, have the correct clevis or hook that fits the eyelet, use the correct strap. If you are going to carry the tow hook, then also carry the other parts of the solution that work with YOUR vehicle. Make sure everything fits and you know how to attach it correctly to YOUR vehicle.

The recoveries I do... I always hook my vehicle up, and I let the other person (under watchful eye) hook up their vehicle. I am watching for stupid stuff that will harm me and my vehicle. Ultimately safety is everyone's responsibility, so speak up. Always have a plan, discuss the plan before you begin the recovery. How will you signal a problem (horn 3 times or long horn) make sure each person agrees. How long / how many times will you try before stopping and trying something different? What is plan B? How far will you go to flat / unstuck? A little common sense goes a LONG way here folks.

some helpful terms:
tow strap / rope - static length; no give or elasticity; used once the vehicle is on flat smooth ground and not stuck.

recovery strap / rope - or otherwise known as snatch or kinetic strap / rope; this is what is used to 'pop' a vehicle out of the snow or mud. can be used for towing, but since they are more expensive people often swap them once the vehicle is moving more freely.

Last edited:
There are long and short towing eyelets. You only need the long version as it works for both front and back. My 2016.5 didn't come with them but when I mentioned this to my salesman, he ordered a set for me. My 2016 MX-5 didn't come with them either, I bought the long version for this car.

My signature came with the tow eyes and the salesperson showed me how to use them. I think this is very important.

My signature came with the tow eyes and the salesperson showed me how to use them. I think this is very important.

It's important to differentiate between the shipping eyelets and the tow/recovery eyelets. Using the shipping eyelets for towing/recovery purposes will cause damage to the threads in the holes the eyelets screw into.

Different markets may include the correct eyelets, but again I stress the importance of making sure they are the correct eyelets. At least in the North America market, shipping eyelets should not be left in the trunk by the dealer/PDI tech.

The tiedown eyelet showed in the picture is “designed only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged.”, “Do not use the front and rear tiedown eyelets for towing the vehicle.

The damage would be the frame where the tiedown eyelet screwed in, not the tiedown eyelet itself. You certainly don’t want that happenIng to your CX-5!

For gen-1 CX-5 there’re 2 tiedown eyelets. The longer one is for front and the shorter one is for rear. For gen-2 CX-5 Mazda uses only 1 tiedown eyelet showed in your picture for both front and rear. There’s no such thing as tow/recovery eyelets

And Mazda stopped providing any tiedown eyelets since 2016 MY CX-5. I had to purchase 2 tiedown eyelets by myself for my 2016 CX-5, just for filling up 2 empty slots to look nicer!

9E408B84-8975-47EE-B5D9-996A6310B863.jpeg

2120E42C-C64B-40D4-9722-AF252E19C404.jpeg

My manual shows a short and long version but both are marked with asterisks. I don't think I have either one but there is a yellow plastic round disk which also seems useless.
You must have a gen-1 CX-5 so your owner’s manual shows 2 tiedown eyelets. Gen-2 CX-5 has only 1 tiedown eyelet for both front and rear.

The yellow plastic round disk is flat tire hold-down bolt and you have to use it to hold the flat road tire down in the spare tire well. The one with shorter thread holding the compact spare tire won’t fit as the road tire is much wider.

The tiedown eyelet showed in the picture is “designed only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged.”, “Do not use the front and rear tiedown eyelets for towing the vehicle.

There’s no such thing as tow/recovery eyelets

And Mazda stopped providing tiedown eyelets in all 2014 MY vehicles.

Again, the eyelet mentioned by DwightFrye (P/N KD53-50-EJ1B) is absolutely the correct recovery eyelet for the 2nd gen CX-5. It does indeed exist, as referenced on many different parts sites. It is also the same recovery eyelet used on the 2016+CX-9, 2014+ Mazda3, 2014+ Mazda6, and 2016+ Miata. They do call it a "tow hook", but IMO it should only be used for recovery or to tow the vehicle onto a flatbed.

For reference:

Ask me how I know..

I had a little trouble trying to see all of the empty spots because I have so much stuff back there but I can confirm I have the empty spots.

It looks like the manual mentions them so they can be used to secure the vehicle to a flatbed or maybe a ferry?

I will mark my yellow disk with a Sharpie in case I ever need it.

@yrwei52 yes the manual says not to TOW. Towing is the act of dragging a disabled vehicle by means of rope or strap for a great distance. There is the whole other conversation about lubrication for axles and differentials while in neutral. Often people TOW (often called flat towning) their vehicle using another vehicle to a repair shop if tow trucks (flat beds or tow trucks will dolly) are not available. The act of towing any vehicles is risky and dangerous. For this vehicle and unibody construction with no real tow point or chassis anchor it is even more so dangerous.

I checked the 2019 GTR today -- there simply is not a frame spot or other proper spot for easy attachment for RECOVERY. For me personally, RECOVERY in this vehicle would be me in 4" of snow and sliding off the road on to non-pavement and now I'm in 6" or 8" of snow. The wheels spin, AWD is worthless and method of floor mat or removing snow around the tires has failed. I would RECOVER the vehicle by attaching the aforementioned accessory and getting a gentle tug to the road. Once on the road and moving under vehicle power, all recovery connections would be removed and this would be to bring my family to safety and to avoid a cold overnight in the snow. This is how I would use this accessory - in an emergency in an instance where other options have been exhausted.

I would not use this accessory to tow my vehicle and great distance (id say if I'm not recovered in 30ft to 40ft, it is time to think of other options).

Having the accessory and not using it every is better than not having the accessory and wishing you had an option to use it.

Of course this accessory alone is not going to get the job done.. as I previously mentioned you will want a snatch rope/strap and proper clevis' to make a proper attachment.

TLDR - don't TOW your vehicle; call a professional recovery service; don't take risks with the fragile vehicle and prepare for a wait as others to come to your aid. Know the limits of your personal skills and experience. Know when to spend $400 to call someone.

Of course I have extensive experience with personal vehicle recoveries as my other vehicle affords me the fun of dragging it across obstacles in all sorts of terrain with a group of people of similar experience and vehicles so we get stuck sometimes. :)

Again, the eyelet mentioned by DwightFrye (P/N KD53-50-EJ1B) is absolutely the correct recovery eyelet for the 2nd gen CX-5. It does indeed exist, as referenced on many different parts sites. It is also the same recovery eyelet used on the 2016+CX-9, 2014+ Mazda3, 2014+ Mazda6, and 2016+ Miata. They do call it a "tow hook", but IMO it should only be used for recovery or to tow the vehicle onto a flatbed.

For reference:

Ask me how I know..
KD53-50-EJ1B “tow hook” is the “tiedown eyelet” (longer one) for front on gen-1 CX-5 and front and rear on gen-2 CX-5 provided from factory. I bought one with that part number, and also mentioned by CX5_Driver’s post above. The naming is confusing for sure, but Mazda does remove them starting 2016 MY to prevent the frame damage by owner’s misusage of these tiedown eyelets. The tiedown eyelets are very strong, you simply can’t damage them. But the frame where the tiedown eyelet screws in is not. Any towing action on these tiedown eyelets, especially with some angle on pulling force, could damage the frame as the result. And that’s what the owner’s manual says, and that’s the reason why Mazda took away these tiedown eyelets since 2016 MY once the new vehicles have delivered to the dealerships.

KD53-50-EJ1B “tow hook” is the “tiedown eyelet” (longer one) for front on gen-1 CX-5 and front and rear on gen-2 CX-5 provided from factory.

Incorrect. The tow hook (KD53-50-EJ1B) is not a tiedown eyelet - do not call it that. Calling it a tiedown eyelet just creates confusion. KD53-50-EJ1B is used for recovery. It can also be used as a tiedown eyelet. But it is first and foremost a recovery tool used in emergency recovery.

I bought one with that part number, and also mentioned by CX5_Driver’s post above. The naming is confusing for sure

Then don't go by the name, go by the part number. You bought the tow/recovery eyelet. You did not buy a tiedown eyelet. Either the person you bought it from called it the wrong name or you're calling it the wrong name. To avoid confusion with names, just use the part number provided. Simple.

Mazda does remove them from 2014+ MY vehicles to prevent the frame damage by owner’s misuse of the tiedown eyelets. That’s what the owner’s manual says, and that’s why Mazda removes the tiedown eyelets from all 2014+ MY vehicles.

2014, not 2016.

Incorrect. The tow hook (KD53-50-EJ1B) is not a tiedown eyelet - do not call it that. Calling it a tiedown eyelet just creates confusion. KD53-50-EJ1B is used for recovery. It can also be used as a tiedown eyelet. But it is first and foremost a recovery tool used in emergency recovery.

Then don't go by the name, go by the part number. You bought the tow/recovery eyelet. You did not buy a tiedown eyelet. Either the person you bought it from called it the wrong name or you're calling it the wrong name. To avoid confusion with names, just use the part number provided. Simple.
Whatever you call it, KD53-50-EJ1B is the “tiedown eyelet” stated in the owner’s manual. And both the short and long ones were there in the new 2015 CX-5‘s and prior, but got removed by Mazda since 2016 MY. When I got my 2016 CX-5 in March, 2015, I personally checked these 2 tiedown eyelets in the new 2015 CX-5 which came from factory in dealer’s lot, and compared those I bought, KD53-50-EJ1B long onr for front and KD53-50-EJ2B short one for rear, and they’re exactly the same. Besides, these 2 part numbers are the only items available as “tiedown eyelet” or “tow hook”, whatever you prefer to call them, from CX-5 parts list.

2014, not 2016.
As I said, those “tiedown eyelets” were provided in 2015 CX-5’s and prior, but were missing in 2016 CX-5’s at the time I got my 2016 CX-5.

Allow me to continue this circular discussion. Mazda also calls it a tow hook. You may also use it as a tie down point. https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-tow-hook-kd5350ej1b

I call it a $30 piece of steel that weighs 3 pounds. I think it's up to the task for simple recovery use or tie down use. I have a kinetic recovery rope from my old truck and soft shackles, along with my Rotopax and traction mats, battery jumper, and other junk.

@yrwei52 yes the manual says not to TOW. Towing is the act of dragging a disabled vehicle by means of rope or strap for a great distance. There is the whole other conversation about lubrication for axles and differentials while in neutral. Often people TOW (often called flat towning) their vehicle using another vehicle to a repair shop if tow trucks (flat beds or tow trucks will dolly) are not available. The act of towing any vehicles is risky and dangerous. For this vehicle and unibody construction with no real tow point or chassis anchor it is even more so dangerous.

I checked the 2019 GTR today -- there simply is not a frame spot or other proper spot for easy attachment for RECOVERY. For me personally, RECOVERY in this vehicle would be me in 4" of snow and sliding off the road on to non-pavement and now I'm in 6" or 8" of snow. The wheels spin, AWD is worthless and method of floor mat or removing snow around the tires has failed. I would RECOVER the vehicle by attaching the aforementioned accessory and getting a gentle tug to the road. Once on the road and moving under vehicle power, all recovery connections would be removed and this would be to bring my family to safety and to avoid a cold overnight in the snow. This is how I would use this accessory - in an emergency in an instance where other options have been exhausted.

I would not use this accessory to tow my vehicle and great distance (id say if I'm not recovered in 30ft to 40ft, it is time to think of other options).

Having the accessory and not using it every is better than not having the accessory and wishing you had an option to use it.

Of course this accessory alone is not going to get the job done.. as I previously mentioned you will want a snatch rope/strap and proper clevis' to make a proper attachment.

TLDR - don't TOW your vehicle; call a professional recovery service; don't take risks with the fragile vehicle and prepare for a wait as others to come to your aid. Know the limits of your personal skills and experience. Know when to spend $400 to call someone.

Of course I have extensive experience with personal vehicle recoveries as my other vehicle affords me the fun of dragging it across obstacles in all sorts of terrain with a group of people of similar experience and vehicles so we get stuck sometimes. :)
Yeah but not just against towing with these “tiedown eyelets” (or “tow hooks”), the caution also said: “They have been designed only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged.

You can use these tiedown eyelets or tow hooks for any other purposes as you wish such as to tie down the canoe carried on the roof top. But just use them with common sense and caution, as Mazda has warned owners these “tiedown eyelets” (or “tow hooks”) are designed ONLY for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping, or the damage (to the frame, definitely not to tiedown eyelets or tow hooks themselves) could occur.

Finally, although the parts list calls these 2 tiedown eyelets (or 1 for gen-2 CX-5) mentioned in the owner’s manual as tow hooks, they’re exactly the same parts. Don’t get confused by different naming standard between 2 different systems by Mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back