DGM front lip install-questions

Strata

:
Mazda Protege 5
I just got my front lip in like...20 mins ago...I take it out of the box..(its full urethane) and I run outside like a giddy school girl and just kinda fit it up to the front it looks fine, im going to get it painted once I get the cash and find a good place, but my question is...where are all the mounting points and stuff like that? I know 2 screws in the fender wells of cource but anywhere else?

if anyone has pictures of where the bolts are in their lips could you please post em up, this is my first mod to this car..but before I put the lip on im going to get my injen CAI on first because I gotta take the fenderlinings out anyway...so I got some time..but if you have any pics or could get some pics of the mount points that would help me out very much.

I know there are threads on this subject but I cant find any pictures...thx!

(rockon)

Some people put tape. I put a 2 part epoxy glue. It is almost permanant.

And the screws under the foglights. "ditto"

Use automotive/industrial strength double sided 3M tape and the 2 screws. Be sure you have no gaps first.

yeah, definitely fit it properly before painting.

I used one screw in each wheel well, plus one screw under the front license plate (Canada). You don't want it to be attached too permanently because the more solid mounting points, the less flex you will have if it ever hits anything.

I don't trust double sided tape at all. I am going to be using some special glue type stuff for this type of thing. Not 100% stuck, but close. Along with screws in the sides.

Johndg, good idea on the screws under the foglights. I'll probably do that instead of the glue I was going to do. I just want it to look clean and be totally safe.

daKiNeP5 said:
I have two screws in the fender wells and also a screw on each side under the fog light.

same here, just put mine on along with some DGM eyelids...enjoy

I would suggest pulling a civic-esque move of having it on the car for a couple weeks in the hot sun, unpainted so that it gets all of the kinks out...

I had mine mounted for an entire winter like that (my friend was going to mold it and paint it but he was a little beotch when it came to getting out in the cold), with screws in the fender wells and the double sided tape that was on it from DG. it held on there driving upwards of 115mph (trying to get out of a bad storming situation in KS) so if you do the screws in the fog light I'm sure you'll have no problems...

i finally got lip now for the paint how many people did it themselves or did they go to professional if anyone did it themselves can you put steps and products you bought to make it work thanks.THe reason why is shop is charging me 160-200 dollars

Unless you have quality materials and experience, I would not recomend it. I've completed many "off the shelf" paint jobs on various car parts, etc. and even that is costly in just materials alone. Shop around for prices, but be sure to get someone reputable.

I did two screws on each wheel well, and a lot of 3m tape... the good stuff. I've had it on over a year now and it's solid. Little scratched up along the bottom, but it's never moved an inch from where I mounted it. About the paint, get it done right... and make sure they sand it good and treat it with something to eliminate fish eyes (urethane release agent leaves the surface a lil oily). Also make sure they use a flex primer so the paint will resist cracking if the lip flexes at all. That's all I can think of right now...

i have 2 screws in each wheel well and a bunch of the 3m adhesive tape like everybody else.....no problems yet. i like the ides of a screw under the fogs but i think my fogs sit too far back and it would be visable!!

I just installed mine yesterday finally.... I added bolts to the upper part of the opening to attach it directly to the bumper. Couple small holes and some stainless hardware.

No chance of it falling off now.

I do not trust double sided tape with body parts... Defiantly not a good idea to rely on that for the entire front.

Back