Debating on purchasing a MS6

goose8651

I currently own a 2001 Toyota Tundra and I once I move down to Texas, I am debating on purchasing a used MS6 or another vehichle. I am not planning on moving down till February of next year and don't think dealerships will have any 07's left, which is why I will be looking for used.
I have upgraded my truck considerably and am still debating on selling it. I have added about $8,000 of changes to my truck. I really like it, but my company is giving me a company truck and I no longer need it. I am mainly looking into a car that I can have fun in during the weekends and at night. Another decision I have to make is selling it through myself, or trading it in. I do not think Mazda will notice all the changes I have made to my truck to get a good enough trade in value.
Some other cars I have been looking into is a Lexus IS 300, Audi A4, and a VW GTI. I am mainly looking at the Lexus due to how well my Tundra has been in the past couple of years. I like the Audi and VW, but I am afraid of the repairs.
I really like the Mazda, but I am skepticle becasue of the Ford relationship. I have never liked Ford and am worried about it. My father used to own a B2200 and then purchased a Tribute, which was a mistake. We had so many problems with it. When I think about the price of the MS6, it wonder if I will have problems with it.
If any of you guys could help me out with this, it would be great. Thanks.

I used to have the IS300 before trading it in for the MS6..

To be honest, the IS300 was more refined in terms of build quality and nicer weighted steering feel (personal opinion) well.
The stock sound system in the IS is great too, that's one of the things that i missed on my previous IS.

However in terms of interior space, it's a huge leap.
The trunk of the IS300 is too small for me too.
For the MS6, i could put the seats down (although not full access with the metal braces across, it's sufficient for my own needs)

I've driven long distances in both cars before (8 - 10hrs in a row), and I prefer the MS6 overall.

One of my criteria was to make sure my car has ample comfortable space in the backseats for passengers, and of course the power :D

I've test driven the GTI several times, but the cost was waaaay too much at that time, and the MS6 had the most bang for the buck. Also my experiance at VW dealerships are bleh...

But if i had the money, i'd keep the IS300 as a second car...comfy, easy to park in tight spaces and has much better turning radius (yes, the mazda's turning radius is bad to start with)
Well, the warranty on my IS was gonna end too, and the it's gonna be a PITA out of warranty.

Of course, you would have to test out by yourself and see if it fits your needs or not.

When you look at the MS6, ask for documentation or proof if any warranty work was done or not...
I had my share of issues with my MS6, but was taken are of (mostly).

All in all, I'm happy with the car and mid Dec would be my 1 year of ownership...

Hope this helps.

thanks for the help. i like how you were a previous owner of the Lexus. I am glad that you could compare the two vehichles.
I have been reading lately and most people do not have many problems with the MS6. What are the negatives to the MS6?

As far as i've been following, the common serious problems was the rear-differential bolts sheering off

Also, the "smoking" issue where the turbo seals were leaking. I believe most owners had these issues rectified under warranty

There's also the infamous stuttering issue. A recent TSB for the ECU reflash seems to be a temporal solution for some owners, but i did not have much of the stuttering problem now after the reflash. The reflash smoothes out the power band for me...but i'm beginning to like it.

I'm keeping my fingers cross big time cause i didn't have any of these issues, besides the stuttering, which is gone for now...(Mine's still fine and is an early model, year 2006 built on 9/05)

From my experiance, I have random squeaks and rattles occasionally.

Also, the turning radius just kinda suck...hehe

I wish the NAV was touch-screen (I'm just picky...pardon me)

I didn't like the clutch initially, but got used to it as it "soften-up" abit now. I have to admit i was denied the clutch TSB 3 times, but learnt to live with the clutch and it's good for me now.

I do hope these are not breaking points for you, every car have their ups and downs...

The MS6 is a great car overall and I have a good experiance with the car, and i like it for what it is...to me it's a nice sleeper cruiser with the power when i need it.
*I'll be honest, if i have lots of serious issues with this car, i'll be saying otherwise...but mechanically it has been solid for now

I'm sure if you're patient, you'll find a great car...good luck !! (drive2)

Last edited:
That seems pretty good. Regarding the turning radius, it cant be as bad as my truck. That thing turns like a tank.
I agree with you being a sleeper crusier. I like how it is a "family" hauler, but if you need it, you can bring the power out.
The NAV is not a big issue for me. I have never owned one and I do not really need it.
The rear diff. bolts shearing off and the leaking of the turbo seals are probably the most worrisome areas.
I guess since you names the cons, what are your pros? Thanks for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

Aren't all AWD vehicles prone to reduced turning radiuses? My old Eagle Talon Tsi AWD had the worst turing radius of any car I have ever owned.

Aren't all AWD vehicles prone to reduced turning radiuses? My old Eagle Talon Tsi AWD had the worst turing radius of any car I have ever owned.

it's not just the AWD...my ms3 has a terrible turning radius too...=/ that's probably one of the biggest annoyances for me. that and the rattles! i wish they could have done better with the rattles, but they were on a huge budget constraint, so even though i love the look of the interior, it seems to suffer in quality...=/

I thought the turning radius was pretty good on the MS6. But, I have driven trucks my entire life.

It kind of worries me about the rattles. but all vehichles have them. I just have to drivie with my stereo up (I think this is where my rattles came from though).

I had the 6 for a loaner, my CX-7's A/C compressor went out, didn't let it start, and I can honestly say, the turning circle on the MZ6 is bigger than that on the CX-7, so it definitly is wider than it should be.

On my side, it would be kinda biased.

It has REAL cupholders...haha..seriously, the cupholder in the IS holds only sodas-sized cans...can barely fit a medium dunkin donuts coffee :p
On a side note, for the IS300, the 04+ models (i think) have a re-designed cupholder to hold larger cups.

I like the steering wheel buttons that controls the volume, cycle through CD/AUX/Radio, mute, cruise control...more of a personal perference but works very well for me...

A small nice touch is the one-touch roll up windows on all 4 windows, usually it's only on driver's side

Also, the seats are more comfortable, as it has longer thigh support...i'm small sized and it fits me nicely.

I also like the keyless entry (an option with the car), as i don't have to take any keys out to unlock the car. I jsut walk up to the car and press on the handle's button and it unlocks.
Not a perfect system but i've gotten used to it...of course nothing beats a secure physical key.

Mainly I love the car for it's power, and it's my first turbo car too...it looks like any ordinary car out there, as in not overly flashy and not many people know about it...

Everyday I merge "briskly" onto the highway...makes my day after a bad day at work :D

It's nice when I see other mazda owners waving at me, or when I wave at them and they respond :)

Back