Debating - Mazda MMS or Mazda Remote Start?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
For my 2016 have MMS option OR Remote Start thru key FOB. Debating between the two. Having both obviously can't be possible ($ wise). I know with MMS its $65 yearly. Parts wise, am getting the same price: $420 and this includes the kit, harness, hood switch. Installation wise - I think its more or less the same effort/time.

Any assistance much appreciated.

The Mazda remote start requires an additional, larger fob. It doesn't work with the regular keyfob. I think Mazda missed on that one. The mms seems like a cool idea but $65 a year seems wasteful to me. I don't know how much I would use it.

I'm not sure if you saw this, but there was a discussion on the Mazda MMS system a few months ago: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Mazda-MobileStart-vs-Aftermarket-Remote-Start

Some people were claiming it could take up to 4 minutes to start the car, others said it was closer to 1 minute. It only takes 5 seconds with the Mazda Remote Start and there are no annual charges.

There are only 2 advantages that I see for the Mazda MMS:
1. The MMS has no distance limitation. You can remote start your car even if it is miles away. The Mazda Remote Start has a claimed nominal distance limitation of around 300 feet. I haven't verified this, but I know it works at around 100 feet.

2. With the MMS you don't have to carry the additional Remote Start FOB. This was not an issue for me because I only use the remote start at home, so I don't need to carry the FOB.

Last edited:
I went with None because idling is just a waste of gas, will lower your MPG. But I live in CA.

Yea I'm with you. I dont quite get it.

Sometimes you need to warm up the engine to keep the windows clear after scraping them. But I don't get it either. Can't you just walk out, open the door and push the button. Yes, you have to hold the brake pedal down but I don't find that to be a big deal.

It does seem like you have to spend a bunch of money and personal time to get it working. And it's one more thing to re-program anytime your battery is disconnected for a service procedure. And then there's the extra fob you need to carry around with another battery to replace and, in some cases, subscribe to an annual service with an annual fee.

Easier to just push the button manually!

I got the MMS and LOVE IT!

It takes about 30-45 seconds to start the vehicle once I open the APP. It's a great option during winter. I can start the car and defrost the windows and enter into a vehicle that is ready to drive.

No extra FOBs and no distance issues since it uses cell tower signals.

It takes about 30-45 seconds to start the vehicle once I open the APP.

Sounds like a step backwards. My CX-5 starts as soon as I push the button.

No extra FOBs and no distance issues since it uses cell tower signals.

Is that a free service or is there a monthly fee? I've closed all my bank accounts that had monthly account fees so it would suck to pick up a new fee just to be able to start my car!

if MMS was available at the time of purchase of my CX-5, i would have purchased it. but it wasn't so i went aftermarket with a Viper system which works great. it is $150 for 3 years of activated service ($50/yr) and works from an app on your smartphone. once the app is open it is ~5-10 secs to start the car. i like starting the car as i head out of work into the cold and getting into a warmer car. it is easy and reliable, but does cost money so you have to make sure it is worth it to you.

if MMS was available at the time of purchase of my CX-5, i would have purchased it. but it wasn't so i went aftermarket with a Viper system which works great. it is $150 for 3 years of activated service ($50/yr) and works from an app on your smartphone. once the app is open it is ~5-10 secs to start the car. i like starting the car as i head out of work into the cold and getting into a warmer car. it is easy and reliable, but does cost money so you have to make sure it is worth it to you.

I don't see your location. Anyways how much was the installation and what's the model # of Viper?

I don't see your location. Anyways how much was the installation and what's the model # of Viper?

i am in northern NJ. the viper smartstart module is VSM300. the total installation including the aftermarket remote starter (which is separate from the viper module) was $500. add the $150 3-yr subscription to Viper, then the total was $650. The cheapest quote i got from any local mazda dealer to install the MMS aftermarket was $800 not including the $65/yr subscription.

That's strange JCP. BTW: I recommend you update your profile to add your location. BTW: Does your system offer remote trunk release? I heard Viper has a module which can trunk release remotely?

Anyways, you're near to my Mazda dealership where I bought my CX-5 from. PM me if you're interested. If you buy OEM all the parts, then this dealership quoted me $280 for installation with 1st. year free. Check Medcenter, the sponsor of this forum and they have it for $415. Effectively, it'll be $695. If you look around, you may find the parts for even cheaper. If you go to CJ or SJ, I have quotes going down to $220 also (Princeton area).

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm jumping into this conversation late, but what is the advantage to getting MMS vs the Mazda Remote Start? Especially is there are no monthly fee with the remote start. Is the Mazda key fob that big?!

I'm going back and forth as to whether I should get the remote start when I purchase a CX-5 this month.

Yeah, its quite big and heavy. I would say 50% more width and 70% more in height than the car's key fob. Heavier too. Also its got a LCD screen on top and they are freakily expensive. You get only 1. You need to carry your car and this one: together. Range is not that great. Now if you drop it and the screen breaks... well.

On the other hand MMS has $65 subscription fees, its more expensive to install but there's no extra FOB to carry. If you have multiple members in your family, they can all use it. Range is NOT a problem. Looks like a no-brainer, right? Wrong! The smart-phone software is a bit crappy. Every time you want to use it you need to enter a PIN. Then it takes an average of a minute to actually start up the car. Finally, there are threads here which talk about service going down/unavailable for sometime. If you think its giving you lots of features: no. It's very basic.

Seriously, on hindsight I agree with Mike here. It doesn't take that much effort to start the car, warm it up and then drive off. Cost: $0. If Mazda had only wanted subscription fees $65/month I might have considered it. But the initial investment is rather high.

Just now spoke to Best Buy. Since you're in NJ (USA) you don't have a factory alarm (Viper remote start disables factory alarm). If you go with Viper's most basic 1-way model it's $199 with installation and it gives you 1/4 mile range. 2-way model is $249 with install here. Later you can add the smart-phone modules, security modules as add-ons.

That's strange JCP. BTW: I recommend you update your profile to add your location. BTW: Does your system offer remote trunk release? I heard Viper has a module which can trunk release remotely?

Anyways, you're near to my Mazda dealership where I bought my CX-5 from. PM me if you're interested. If you buy OEM all the parts, then this dealership quoted me $280 for installation with 1st. year free. Check Medcenter, the sponsor of this forum and they have it for $415. Effectively, it'll be $695. If you look around, you may find the parts for even cheaper. If you go to CJ or SJ, I have quotes going down to $220 also (Princeton area).

thanks bmninada - since i already took the plunge with the Viper system, no need for the MMS anymore, but good to know there was more room to negotiate had i pursued it. viper yearly subscription is a bit cheaper as well. it does NOT include remote trunk release since the mazda remote itself does not have a trunk release. doesn't bother me nor do i see myself using it.

The fortin evo-one, and evo are suppose to work with 3x clicks of the factory keyfob. I haven't yet been to the shop around me that carries their stuff. There's also a Mazda specific interface from fortin as well. I think directed makes one that does 3x click as well

Sounds like a step backwards. My CX-5 starts as soon as I push the button.

Is that a free service or is there a monthly fee? I've closed all my bank accounts that had monthly account fees so it would suck to pick up a new fee just to be able to start my car!

Mine starts with a push of the button also. You must have misunderstood.

It's free for the 1st year then I think it's like $100 a year afterwards.

I just had MMS installed yesterday. I negotiated for it as part of my deal. I bought a 2016 CX-5 GT for $865 off sticker, they install the starter, and I feel a good price on my trade. I previously had a compustar with the drone and really liked it. The first year is free then $65 p/year after that. The drone was closer to $50 per year. Reasons I wanted MMS over keyfob version are 1) my wife and I hate carrying an extra key, 2) the one that uses existing fob only has 300' range, my wife is a school teacher and that would not work from her classroom to parking lot.

After app times out, which seems to be an hour or two you do have to enter your password to log back in. It takes about 30 to 45 second to login. After pressing the start button you have to enter your 4 digit pin and the 30 to 45 seconds to start, same as the drone. I don't mind the pin as there were a few time we started the last car with the drone by accident but wish you did not have to enter password to login in. The drone app session never timed out. I decided to go with the MMS over the drone because I felt it would be better for warranty and resale being the factory remote. It has been working well and I am sure I will get used to entering the password in lieu of bundling up to go start the car to warm up on a cold Buffalo morning. I know there are many that advocate that starters waste gas but whether you use an auto starter or wait after you start it is much easier to clean a layer of ice of your windows when the car is warm.

After pressing the start button you have to enter your 4 digit pin and the 30 to 45 seconds to start, same as the drone. I don't mind the pin as there were a few time we started the last car with the drone by accident but wish you did not have to enter password to login in.

At the login screen there is a button at the bottom that defaults to "Upon sign on Refresh Car Info". If you tap that, you can change it to "Start Engine" and then you won't need to enter a PIN. Slight improvement, but not much. I agree that it would be nice to not have to enter the password so frequently or only require a PIN instead of a password.

There will be updates to the MMS APP, no doubt. Even an aftermarket APP update that will allow quick and better functions.

Back