Mazda Remote Start Question

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
OK so the newer Mazda's have this remote start app. For all intents and purposes it is currently free "for 3 years" as Mazda says. Some cars are apparently beyond this 3 year mark and Mazda still hasn't announced what this charge will eventually be.
Am I right so far?
I know at least part of that is right...so let me ask this: what about the people that already had this remote start app from Mazda? There was one available in 2016+ and that was free for 3 years and then $60 annually. So I assume those people still paying? Is this new setup a different app?

I have a 23 CX five and it does have the remote start via the app. I heard the dealer mention three years but I’ve been lied to by dealers in the past so if people are saying three years free, chances are that’s what it is. Also, I have the fortin remote start so this way if they try to charge for the remote start app for the phone, I will install the fortin remote start from my last CX five.

I will install the fortin remote start from my last CX five.
You need to verify it will work on the newer car MY electronics first!

I have the Fortin on my 2019 CX-5 and love it. They don't make a version for my CX-50, so I have to use the Mazda App for that car, but the Fortin is SO much nicer/easier/quicker to use than the App.

I have a 23 CX-5 Signature. Hopefully not much has changed and I can install it in the future. Otherwise I will sell it on forums.

I'd bet money it would work on any Mazda. They havent certified it for a 50 means they haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me if it works. I took parts off of my 2019 GTR and they were just fine though I did not test out the remote start due to the fact the app came with three years free.

In regards to ignition Systems and the connections under the steering wheel, it’s not unheard of for manufacturers to reuse these parts across-the-board of cars as it’s cheaper than engineering different parts for their cars. Look at what happened with Dodge/Chevy back in the day were they were using the same screwed up key locks/ignition that would turn off the car while driving if you accidentally bumped them. Also, look at the Kia boys stealing cars By breaking free the ignition system and starting the car with a standard USB cable. It’s happening so frequently and yet Kia is dragging their feet to fix it. Plus it wouldn’t supersize me if Hyundai uses the same system.

Gotta remember, the bean counters are always trying to save as many pennies as possible,

It's not the hardware I'm talking about, but the firmware. Remember that the electronics changed in 2021 or 22 (I forget) with the new radio and new fobs at least. The Fortin has to interface with the security system in the car, and I'm guessing that changed at the same time.

Having said that, I just checked on Fortin's site, and it shows many models that are compatible with 23/24 CX-5's, so you may well be fine.

UPDATE: So I went back and checked for my '23 CX-50, and they're supporting that now too! Woo Hoo, baby!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back