Dealership - What a Joke

:
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring
So the wife and I have had six new vehicles since we started dating and I have never taken one to a dealer for service until this one. Took our GT in for its FIRST oil change and the Auto Nation on Bryant Irvin Blvd. (Ft. Worth, TX) managed to screw that up. Before my wife could get it out of the parking lot the oil light came on and it started knocking. The service manager said its about a quart low.
We made sure they printed out a second receipt stating what happened just in case it becomes a n issue.

I have driven plenty of vehicles that hold five quarts of oil and when they are only one quart low, or even two, they do not knock and turn on the idiot light.

Can't wait to get the survey for this.

if the light came on, there was NO oil pressure! I would bet they didn't put ANY oil in the engine. how long did they have it in the garage after they took it back?

Yep, generally oil lights come on when the pickup in the pan can't draw in oil, meaning you are REALLY low or so low that the angle of a hill or driveway causes the pickup to suck in air.

if the light came on, there was NO oil pressure! I would bet they didn't put ANY oil in the engine. how long did they have it in the garage after they took it back?

My wife was the one driving it and she said they only had it for about 10 minutes when she went back. Luckily she didn't drive even a 1/4 mile total and never got above 10 mph (or so she says).

I agree, there was no oil in it. I wish I would have told her to not let them take it back to the garage until I got there so I could have checked the levels before they got to it. I am going to write to Mazda USA and AutoNation about it but don't expect them to do anything.

One of my local Tire shops ( S&S Tire ) forgot to put the oil filler cap back on in my company vehicle and oil got all over the place in the engine bay, smoke, stink, yuck. This is why i NEVER take my personal vehicle ANYWHERE for maintenance unless ABSOLUTELY NEEDED. DIY is pretty much mandatory these days if you want to keep your vehicle nice for a long time. Shops will take your money and ruin your car.

I knew better but took it in anyway. We bought the plan to have the oil changed by the dealer for the first 150,000. At the maintenance one schedule that's 20 changes. Bill up front was only about $100 more than me doing it. I figured, I don't have to get dirty, they dispose of it all I have to do is sit around. Yeah, was I wrong.

I have taken only one other vehicle in, one time for it as well, and that was for a sunroof that stopped working. I told them it wasn't working before they looked at it. About 30 mins later the service writer comes out and tells me the sunroof isn't working. And since it was installed by company x it has to go to them for repair and that I owe them for 1/2 diagnostics. Boy was I ticked. I reminded him I told him it was broken. He said since the other company installed it they had to charge me. He didn't seem to care that they had it installed.
I ended up jot paying... But it was the same dealership.

Dealerships are funny places. I just received a mail offer for a new cabin air filter, installed for only $60! Hah!

Well that engine has permanent damage now that will shorten its life.

I let the dealer change the oil on my first CX5 and they didn't put the correct recommend synthetic oil in and also crushed the aerodynamic plastic panels under the car with the lift. Second time they worked on it they scraped up the air box pretty good with deep scratches in it. I service my own vehicles now so I know everything is done right and with care.

My wife took our 08 GT to a dealership for oil change, $25 for regular oil. When the service was completed the service dept said, "Oh we did the synthetic oil change by mistake" They charged us for the synthetic and when my wife called me and told me I said HELL NO, you requested regular oil change. So after a bit of back & forth the refunded the difference. When she got in the car I had her read me the mileage from the sticker for the next oil change and it was 4500 miles, the interval for regular oil. Synth interval is 7500 confirmed by another dealer. So they tried to scam my wife. I contacted Mazda USA and filed a complaint against the dealership, and the said I needed an air & cabin filter for $180 installed.

My wife took our 08 GT to a dealership for oil change...

And you expected it to end well?! My wife would never take any of our cars to get any service done...

Mazda breaks up its maintenance schedules by the type of driving you do, not the type of oil you use.

Schedule one is for what is essential lighter use and the oil change interval (OCI) is every 7500 miles.
Schedule two is for short driving trips, towing, dusty conditions, etc... and the OCI is every 5000 miles.

The manual recommends 5W-20 Mazda Genuine or Castrol branded oil. It makes no mention of synthetic vs blend vs conventional.

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/sea...x=38&year=2012&action=search&y=6&modelId=1908

I take my cars to the dealer to show maintenance has been provided by a dealer who should be using genuine OEM parts to maintain the vehicle to the manufacturer's specs. If they aren't following/using what Mazda recommends than I would just soon take it somewhere else! Your dealer is a fail.

Having said that there is a big difference between walking in and saying, "I'd like and oil change." and "I'd like an oil change using the Mazda recommended 5W-20 conventional oil. Please indicate on your reminder sticker that the next oil change should be in 7500 miles because I am following Mazda's schedule 1 which is appropriate for the way we drive."

In the second instance most likely they won't try to up sell you on anything cause you have indicated them you aren't a lemming and you have taken the time to RTM. If they try to sell you on additional maintenance you tell them you will consult your manual first to see if is required by Mazda; if it isn't simply decline. They get declined all day long!

But keep in my mind the dealership exists to make money. The service adviser is there to up-sell. I took my Mustang in for an oil change and I asked for a quote to change the fuel filter. While I waited for the quote I Googled how much the part was and how to DIY. I could get the part for $16 to my door and it would take about 30 mins taking my time. They came back with $90 and said thanks but no thanks.

I talked to a former dealership manager and I asked him, "Why don't you lower your prices just a little to attract more business?" He said they price them at what their experience shows most people will pay. Maybe not everyone but enough people. He says that they figure if someone is taking their car to a dealer for an oil change they will likely pay the higher dealer prices on repair work. He is probably right in most cases. I only go for the documentation of maintenance history. Any real work I can't do myself I will take to a reputable independent repair shop; but I think I am in the minority.

Last edited:
I talked to a former dealership manager and I asked him, "Why don't you lower your prices just a little to attract more business?" He said they price them at what their experience shows most people will pay. Maybe not everyone but enough people. He says that they figure if someone is taking their car to a dealer for an oil change they will likely pay the higher dealer prices on repair work. He is probably right in most cases. I only go for the documentation of maintenance history. Any real work I can't do myself I will take to a reputable independent repair shop; but I think I am in the minority.

Because they'd be leaving a *ton* of money on the table.

Why would you pay for oil changes,air filters, wiper blades, brakes,etc??... Most of this stuff is super easy to do yourself.....

Not everyone has had someone show them how to work on a vehicle. Personally speaking, I don't have any of the equipment or tools I would assume are necessary for performing most maintenance and repair jobs, and without the expertise, I'd be concerned about screwing something up on my $35k vehicle that could jeopardize the warranty. I'm not talking about air filters and wiper blades here, but anything much more than that, I trust the "experts".

We do under 10K miles/yr on the 9 so Im not sure what OCI interval is the best. My point was that my wife asked for a regular oil change and was told she got synth. In my experience, the interval for synth oil is always longer than conventional oil. I do the service at the dealer as it is just about as cheap as I can do it myself, plus having the Mazda 10Y/100K full coverage extended plan I want no issues if something goes wrong as all work done was done by a Mazda dealer. Why pay for synth if the OCI is the same as conventional? Mazda does not require synth oil say like audi does. Then to tell me it will be $180 for an air & cabin filter when both filters together cost $25.

And you expected it to end well?! My wife would never take any of our cars to get any service done...

Mazda breaks up its maintenance schedules by the type of driving you do, not the type of oil you use.

Schedule one is for what is essential lighter use and the oil change interval (OCI) is every 7500 miles.
Schedule two is for short driving trips, towing, dusty conditions, etc... and the OCI is every 5000 miles.

The manual recommends 5W-20 Mazda Genuine or Castrol branded oil. It makes no mention of synthetic vs blend vs conventional.

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/sea...x=38&year=2012&action=search&y=6&modelId=1908

I take my cars to the dealer to show maintenance has been provided by a dealer who should be using genuine OEM parts to maintain the vehicle to the manufacturer's specs. If they aren't following/using what Mazda recommends than I would just soon take it somewhere else! Your dealer is a fail.

Having said that there is a big difference between walking in and saying, "I'd like and oil change." and "I'd like an oil change using the Mazda recommended 5W-20 conventional oil. Please indicate on your reminder sticker that the next oil change should be in 7500 miles because I am following Mazda's schedule 1 which is appropriate for the way we drive."

In the second instance most likely they won't try to up sell you on anything cause you have indicated them you aren't a lemming and you have taken the time to RTM. If they try to sell you on additional maintenance you tell them you will consult your manual first to see if is required by Mazda; if it isn't simply decline. They get declined all day long!

But keep in my mind the dealership exists to make money. The service adviser is there to up-sell. I took my Mustang in for an oil change and I asked for a quote to change the fuel filter. While I waited for the quote I Googled how much the part was and how to DIY. I could get the part for $16 to my door and it would take about 30 mins taking my time. They came back with $90 and said thanks but no thanks.

Not everyone enjoy doing the maintenance of their vehicles oneself. Others might not have the time.
I personally itemize things that I need the dealership to do (and collect coupons easily for each).
Never do anything that the dealership suggests.
I name a few below that I have often heard....

1) your intake needs cleaning - $200
2) your accessory belt is cracked - $200
3) you are due for alignment - $90
4) Cabin filters need replacing - $70

And, do not go for the 30k/45k/60k/ service packages. These are biggest ripoffs ever.
Mazda does not require these to be performed.

On the other hand, I pay more attention to transmission and differential fluids than other owners.

Last edited:
Back