Deactivate the you're too close auto brake "feature"

If in that situation, with your foot on the accelerator and steering into the next lane, your signal should be on. Having the signal on cancels the lane departure warnings (as @GAXIBM mentioned), so maybe it also cancels the automatic emergency braking in that scenario too? I don't know for sure. But it would make sense for the system to use that info to determine what the driver's intent is, in addition to steering and acceleration input.
My turn signal was on, and as GAXIBM detailed, Mazda states the system may not operate. It does not state that it cancels the system. The programming for each function seems to have been tested individually for each of the functions and the way they integrate with each other and driver inputs was not tested thoroughly enough. This issue with Mazda's software coding of different functions not being well tested for their integrated performance is not limited to the safety systems. It also rears its head in other areas, for example: https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/car-jiggles-after-30-sec-at-stoplight.123875951/

My turn signal was on, and as GAXIBM detailed, Mazda states the system may not operate. It does not state that it cancels the system. The programming for each function seems to have been tested individually for each of the functions and the way they integrate with each other and driver inputs was not tested thoroughly enough. This issue with Mazda's software coding of different functions not being well tested for their integrated performance is not limited to the safety systems. It also rears its head in other areas, for example: https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/car-jiggles-after-30-sec-at-stoplight.123875951/

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Turn signal wasn't mentioned originally which is why I asked. You may be right about the programming and testing, but I'm not sure there's any way to find out for sure. One thing we do know is that some people have issues, and many do not (or simply don't consider it to be an issue). As "enthusiasts", we're a lot more sensitive to what we drive compared to those who think of their vehicles as A-B modes of transport.

I'd recommend that you contact your dealer/Mazda Corporate and voice your concern. In addition, you could also file a report with the NHTSA citing a safety hazard. Companies rely on feedback like this to make future changes to new models (and possibly retroactive changes to older or existing models as well). Maybe if there are enough complaints, some changes will be made. We already know that these complaints do not always fall on deaf ears, at least with Mazda - the revised seats in the Gen2 CX-5 facelifted models is evidence of that.

Had another experience with the system this morning. Accelerating to merge into a gap in the lane to my left before reaching a stopped vehicle partially blocking the right lane. As I start accelerating and moving left, the car decided a collision was imminent with the vehicle partially in the lane ahead of me that I was already moving to the left of, and applied to brake. Luckily there was plenty of space and this didn't cause an incident, but it made the situation less safe since it takes no account for the approaching vehicle behind, on top of the fact that it's slow to recognize that the car ahead is no longer directly in front of me.

They really need to have the yellow warning light on the dash activate when the system is enabled, instead of when it is disabled. For anyone who is actually paying attention while they are driving, I think it makes the car less safe. Sure, maybe it's great for people who aren't paying attention and might stop them from running directly into someone in front of them, but I don't think I should have to have a warning light on my dash if I choose to disable a flawed system, which it what I plan to do now.
how far from the stopped vehicle would you say you were when it applied brakes? did you also get an indication from the distance monitoring system before brakes kicked in?

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Turn signal wasn't mentioned originally which is why I asked. You may be right about the programming and testing, but I'm not sure there's any way to find out for sure. One thing we do know is that some people have issues, and many do not (or simply don't consider it to be an issue). As "enthusiasts", we're a lot more sensitive to what we drive compared to those who think of their vehicles as A-B modes of transport.

I'd recommend that you contact your dealer/Mazda Corporate and voice your concern. In addition, you could also file a report with the NHTSA citing a safety hazard. Companies rely on feedback like this to make future changes to new models (and possibly retroactive changes to older or existing models as well). Maybe if there are enough complaints, some changes will be made. We already know that these complaints do not always fall on deaf ears, at least with Mazda - the revised seats in the Gen2 CX-5 facelifted models is evidence of that.
Oh I know I'm much more sensitive to small nuances than the average driver. I've already voiced my concerns and am awaiting a response from Mazda Corporate. I will look into filing a report with the NHTSA as I do believe in this case it was a safety hazard.

how far from the stopped vehicle would you say you were when it applied brakes? did you also get an indication from the distance monitoring system before brakes kicked in?
I'd estimate I was about 50 feet away from the stopped vehicle, but it was also no longer directly in front of any portion of my car. It was 1/4 of the way into my lane and I was already 1/2 way out of my lane when it applied the brakes. No alert prior to it flashing BRAKE! and applying the brake itself simultaneously or within a split second if it was not at exactly the same moment.

There is no question these systems are overhyped in the industry. Cadillac evidently wants you smiling with your hands off the wheel given their recent ads. Don't get me started on Tesla, the king of overhype. Mazda is more sensible.

In the case of Mazda, its safety system approach is conservative and consistent. Consider radar cruise vis a vis auto braking. In radar cruise, as you pass a vehicle moving slower than the set point, with signal on, wheel turned, vehicle clearly directed to the left lane, the vehicle will not auto accelerate until you are almost entirely in the left lane. It's the opposite corollary of auto braking. The vehicle is saying if it and you continue to do what you are doing you may hit that guy if he slams on his brakes.

My experience is you must be driving aggressively to have auto braking engage as somebody in front is making a right turn. The system squawks first if audible is turned on and if there is no driver reaction then it brakes. I live in the Land of Parking in the Road, surrounded by 50 - 55 mph two lane blacktops with narrow shoulders, cars and work vehicles constantly hanging out in the lanes and obviously people are also making right turns. I rarely have the vehicle squawk at me, and I've yet to have it auto brake in these scenarios, only once at very low speed, a different animal. That's with the medium distance setting. In the rare instance when it has squawked, I assess that the system is, again, guarding against the guy in front who is turning right suddenly stopping in the road. I reserve my aggressive driving to clear roads, others may not.

You know, if you have all the safety settings at the least conservative level and you still find them intrusive, there is a possible answer. In the Settings --> Safety touch screen menus, there is a check box at the top next to "System" in each. There may be a reference to these check boxes in the manual but I'm not finding them offhand; the intuitive conclusion is those boxes can be unchecked to turn the systems off entirely. Try that. I wouldn't recommend it, but again I'm not your mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I know I'm much more sensitive to small nuances than the average driver. I've already voiced my concerns and am awaiting a response from Mazda Corporate. I will look into filing a report with the NHTSA as I do believe in this case it was a safety hazard.
Mazda may express some sympathy without actually doing anything about it, expecting you to adapt to your tool. I seriously doubt the NHTSA will be too interested if the "System" check box at the top of each safety system menu are what they appear to be. If you can switch them off entirely while these systems are not mandated in the first place, the vehicle does not have an inherent safety defect. Just turn the systems off if you do not like how they behave.

Personally, I find the behavior of radar cruise to be sketchy if one leaves it to its own devices. I don't even want to test what would happen if I get back into a right lane in range of a slower moving vehicle in front without a lot of space behind me either, something I would do to get the h*ll out of the way of some NASCAR wannabe who's barreled up on my bumper. Would my vehicle hit the brakes and risk me getting rear ended in that scenerio? Dunno, don't wanno know. But I'm not required to use it.

These systems are not going to be all things to all people in all circumstances. And the event horizon for true autonomous driving is a lot farther off then the industry would want you to believe.

There is no question these systems are overhyped in the industry. Cadillac evidently wants you smiling with your hands off the wheel given their recent ads. Don't get me started on Tesla, the king of overhype. Mazda is more sensible.

In the case of Mazda, its safety system approach is conservative and consistent. Consider radar cruise vis a vis auto braking. In radar cruise, as you pass a vehicle moving slower than the set point, with signal on, wheel turned, vehicle clearly directed to the left lane, the vehicle will not auto accelerate until you are almost entirely in the left lane. It's the opposite corollary of auto braking. The vehicle is saying if you continue to do what you are doing you may hit that guy if he slams on his brakes.

My experience is you must be driving aggressively to have auto braking engage as somebody in front is making a right turn. The system squawks first if audible is turned on and if there is no driver reaction then it brakes. I live in the Land of Parking in the Road, surrounded by 50 - 55 mph two lane blacktops with narrow shoulders, cars and work vehicles constantly hanging out in the lanes and obviously people are also making right turns. I rarely have the vehicle squawk at me, and I've yet to have it auto brake in these scenarios, only once at very low speed, a different animal. That's with the medium distance setting. In the rare instance when it has squawked, I assess that the system is, again, guarding against the guy in front who is turning right suddenly stopping in the road. I reserve my aggressive driving to clear roads, others may not.

You know, if you have all the safety settings at the least conservative level and you still find them intrusive, there is a possible answer. In the Settings --> Safety touch screen menus, there is a check box at the top next to "System" in each. There may be a reference to these check boxes in the manual but I'm not finding them offhand, but the intuitive conclusion is those boxes can be checked off to turn the systems off entirely. Try that. I wouldn't recommend it, but again I'm not your mother.
Thanks, I already tested out those check boxes and they result in dash warning lights, which I prefer not having on. This has been the first instance where I would call it intrusive so I am debating whether or not I'd prefer to have the systems off completely. I've never been in an accident with or without these systems, so I don't feel like I need it, but I'd also like to have it still enabled for the always possible unexpected situation. I'm leaning towards just continuing to observe to see if this was just an aberration due to a confluence of factors, or if the system really is more of a detriment than benefit.

If in that situation, with your foot on the accelerator and steering into the next lane, your signal should be on. Having the signal on cancels the lane departure warnings (as @GAXIBM mentioned), so maybe it also cancels the automatic emergency braking in that scenario too? I don't know for sure. But it would make sense for the system to use that info to determine what the driver's intent is, in addition to steering and acceleration input.
I think you already hit upon one solution is post #26 above. Picture that guy slamming on the brakes before he completes the turn (a pedestrian or animal crossing in front or whatnot) while you continue to do what you're in the habit of doing without the adjustments you indicate. Yup, the system will squawk and brake. If you do make the adjustments you indicate I am confident the alarm sounding or the brakes engaging will be a rare occurrence.

Or turn the system off. I mean how intrusive is the little orange icon on the speedometer, really? In short order you'd pretty accustomed to it; in a while with it always on you'd probably stop noticing it altogether, a normal operating indicator.

It's pretty evident these systems are tuned to conservative, defensive modes. If you want to drive aggressively with other vehicles in the vicinity, turn them off. There's something for everybody, kinda sorta almost.

I think you already hit upon one solution is post #26 above. Picture that guy slamming on the brakes before he completes the turn (a pedestrian or animal crossing in front or whatnot) while you continue to do what you're in the habit of doing without the adjustments you indicate. Yup, the system will squawk and brake. If you do make the adjustments you indicate I am confident the alarm sounding or the brakes engaging will be a rare occurrence.

Or turn the system off. I mean how intrusive is the little orange icon on the speedometer, really? In short order you'd pretty accustomed to it; in a while with it always on you'd probably stop noticing it altogether, a normal operating indicator.

It's pretty evident these systems are tuned to conservative, defensive modes. If you want to drive aggressively with other vehicles in the vicinity, turn them off. There's something for everybody, kinda sorta almost.
The biggest issue is that it requires multiple steps to turn off and the settings do not save for your next driving session.

Forget driving aggressively, there are plenty of scenarios where only a slight application of braking, no application of braking, or in fact throttle is the safest way to deal with what is on the road. Picture a 4 lane 45mph turnpike or main street: a car pulls out 4-5 several car lengths ahead of you (too little distance between it and traffic given the speed limit) and then remains slow as they are either turning off again or their vehicle cannot get up to a safe travel speed in a reasonable time. Or perhaps a vehicle changes into the passing lane without indicating and are traveling far too slowly or are making a left turn or are exit diving. Or a car is drifting out of their lane and into yours just barely ahead of you. Simply changing lanes yourself, being able to move over in your lane while you apply liberal amounts of horn, or even turn off into the shoulder and and apply brakes safely and smoothly is a far better option over slamming on the brakes yourself. Especially if you have vehicles close behind you. Competent drivers are aware of all surroundings and brake-checking the people behind you who have no visibility of what is in front of you is often the least responsible decision. Even in the lowest setting there are conditions where the vehicle acts in manners that don't make sense. I've even had it activate on a road with no other vehicles, it was just triggered with a steep enough upcoming incline after a steep enough decline.

The reason people wish this to be disabled, and the reason most people were able to confidently drive on the road accident free before these electronic braking systems were invented, was because they were confident their vehicle would act in the manner that they knew it would. And that's because it did. If you are driving and your vehicle suddenly cuts power or applies brakes when it is not expected, the driver is no longer in control, and can't reasonably judge how to react. This can lead to worse harm that cannot be avoided. I have a Mazda3, and I am unnerved by the unpredictable emergency braking. I couldn't imagine having something that has a higher center of gravity suddenly applying brakes when I am not expecting it to.

Perhaps in non busy areas this is not common because there is plenty of space on the road. But if you have spent any time in high traffic areas like many parts of the Northeast then this is how people drive and is common sense. What is being described in this thread as aggressive is both normal, taught in driving schools, and is the only thing keeping these places from grinding to a halt with the sheer amount of traffic on the roads. You're lucky if half the vehicles on the road use their indicators, and if no one plods along in the passing lane going slower than the traffic on their right then you best play the lotto because that's a lucky day. They type of driving you might see in the Midwest or mid Atlantic highways is the kind of driving that causes 2 hour 20 mile commutes and accidents when it's brought over here.

There is nothing wrong with the system being active as a default from the factory. And I am not even opposed to a warning asking me if I would like to re-enable every week or so. But for the system to switch on by default, with no warning, and not have a quick turn off button, is confounding. Especially from a company who's seemingly dedicated to an engaged driving experience and appeals to drivers who are paying attention to everything about the drive.

Last edited:
I have '16 Mazda6, '17 CX5 and '22 CX5, all with AutoBraking.
My experiences have been that the newer ones are more sensitive than the older ones.
Of course, you should adjust the timing of applying brake to your likings. I am talking about the default behavior here.
Probably we have IIHS and NTHSA to thank due to the higher speed tests they have done over the recent years.

I rarely had my '16 Mazda6's AutoBrake kick in except for once when I drove onto my driveway at higher speed before door is raised (I was sure I could stop it w/o hitting the doors) ...
My Mazda6 did not like that and stopped hard for me. Only once.
With my CX-5s, they have *helped* brake/warn me several times... mostly when the car in front of mine is making a turn..

Human can time it and steer away if we have to... AutoBrake assumes you go straight.
Big differences.

I have had to become more aware of people turning to the right that are in front of me. Only because the system would slam on the brakes when it was totally not needed because I would not have even needed to slow down. But the system over reacts due to some not so optimal programming. So I have to make sure I am more towards the left if I see a car turning right so the system does not activate. It's almost caused me to get rear ended twice :(

A carefully placed piece of black Gorilla tape on the windshield will cure your problem. You must judge its wisdom.

I feel like the only one that never sees this. 2 times since November 2016 has my auto braking kicked in. Once WAS my fault. So...literally one time that wasn't my fault... and that was 5 years ago.

I feel like the only one that never sees this. 2 times since November 2016 has my auto braking kicked in. Once WAS my fault. So...literally one time that wasn't my fault... and that was 5 years ago.
Yes, I rarely ever have it come up and when it does it's for a good reason. You just need to be aware of people turning left or right in front of you especially on the highway.

Yes, I rarely ever have it come up and when it does it's for a good reason. You just need to be aware of people turning left or right in front of you especially on the highway.

I think those who take issue with the system are well aware of people turning left or right in front of them on the road, they just like to cut it much closer than the system would allow. The emergency braking system doesn't know the difference between a driver who knows their car and the space it occupies vs. one that is inattentive.

Safe following distances have been encouraged for decades. I personally don't understand why some drivers think safe following distances don't exist when others are turning off in front of you.

@SWCX5R , is this happening mostly when you are coming up on a vehicle ahead that is turning right? You are correct that the SCBS system doesn't know the vehicle is turning and *should* (may/might) be out of the way before a collision. The system only activates brakes when a collision is imminent.

The easiest thing you can do (besides changing your driving style) to "get along" with the system is when you get in these situations, simply press slightly on the accelerator or brake. Doing so "tells" the computer brain of the SCBS "Hey! I got dis" and will prevent it from auto-braking.

I believe you can disable the system all together via a check box in one of the menus on the center screen but you have to do it each time you start the car. In that same section is the ability to adjust the system to three sensitivity levels (near,normal,far).

With the SCBS set to near, if you're still getting frequent activation you may want to consider your driving style. As you have noticed, your car is considering the "worst case" scenario and deciding it's time to take action. Your brain is factoring other variables and your driving style is less conservative.

I like to have an increased reward for an increased risk. Driving at a sporting brisk pace on a low volume backroad is exhilarating to me, but also carries increased risk pushing closer to vehicle limits. But what is the reward for getting so close to other vehicles that the SCBS is activating? I don't think there is any real time savings. Seems all downside to me.

Hopefully you find a happy place with the SCBS :)
No, hitting the gas makes it apply the brakes & almost gets YOU rear ended. I hate this feature. I know when I am/am not going to hit something. Nannies like this do more harm than good.

Gotchya. The SCBS certainly likes a full lane width of unobstructed safe passage :). Those are the situations where just a little input on the accelerator or brake makes it happy.

To me, all of these "safety systems" are more oriented towards distracted driving assistance to save you whilst you play with your phone. (or reach for your kids bink-y, look at the hot chick/dude you just passed, pick up your beer, etc)
Braking for no reason, if cars are behind you, will get you rear ended

On my 2019 GT I had the problem on the highway. If the car in front of me was slowing taking a right exit and I was in the first lane and I think the 2nd lane almost passing him it would activate.
I don't know if it activate the brake system, I did get the BRAKE on the windshield from the HUD.

Back