Datalog for review

cpspeed6

:
2007 Speed 6
Finally got my logging to work properly thanks to Bova's tips.
Posted for review by you guys if you wish to have a look, logging my drive home from work today. Pretty much stop and go driving, but nontheless, please comment if you see anything weird. I'm currently running a Stage 1 SF 93 V 1.02 MAP from Cobb's site. Cobb SF, Cobb TIP, SLS Test Pipe.

Attachments

• datalog2.xls
    344 KB · Views: 206
Posted for review by you guys if you wish to have a look, logging my drive home from work today. Pretty much stop and go driving, but nontheless, please comment if you see anything weird. I'm currently running a Stage 1 SF 93 V 1.02 MAP from Cobb's site. Cobb SF, Cobb TIP, SLS Test Pipe.

how did you change the .csv fine to xls?

Just hit save as, and when the window pops up there is a drop down menu to choose the file type under the tab where you can change the name of the file. Office 2007

You will need to log your fuel trims and MAFg if you want to make adjustments to the map. I would log my LTFT just to make sure they are +/- 8%.

Just hit save as, and when the window pops up there is a drop down menu to choose the file type under the tab where you can change the name of the file. Office 2007

i dont have office or word or any program like that. is there a converter somewhere?

in my opinion the best way to see how a tune looks or how the car is acting is to log ONLY a WOT run. in example 2nd,3rd,4th,5th gear pull and turn off log. as bova said way to much to look through. besides if any catistrophic is going to happen it is going to happen at WOT 9 out of 10 times.

in my opinion the best way to see how a tune looks or how the car is acting is to log ONLY a WOT run. in example 2nd,3rd,4th,5th gear pull and turn off log. as bova said way to much to look through. besides if any catistrophic is going to happen it is going to happen at WOT 9 out of 10 times.

i think one car out of all known speed engine blowups occured at WOT. every other blow up was during a cruise or in town at 2800rpm to 3200rpm.

yeah well looking at a partial throttle log isn't going to tell you if you are going to blow. hell if it did then we wouldn't have the problem figuring out what causes these motors to let loose. the only thing you can look at at partial throttle is fuel trims.

Being new to owning this car and new to tuning as a whole, I was merely asking for information on what my log is saying, thinking it would be good to know if there are any glaring issues with my tune under regular driving conditions. Part of the learning curve for me, and I will only post logs with some substance in the future for review by my forum peers. Thanks everyone for looking anyway.

the speed community is consistantly working to keep clean oil running in the engine. which is why these engine pop, because all of a sudden the oil just evacuates allowing bad things to happen really fast, before the oil light even has a chance to come on. seems to happen to all cars with any mods or no mods at all. as well as the turbo seal problem we have to deal with. its great to have talented people working on fixes, but in the end, Mazda needs to give the final word, with their TSBs and fixes.

its actually not a turbo seal problem but a pcv problem which does not allow vacuum to occur in the crankcase to drain the oil from the turbo oil return line. the oil then backs up which then forces itself past the seals.

the speed community is consistantly working to keep clean oil running in the engine. which is why these engine pop, because all of a sudden the oil just evacuates allowing bad things to happen really fast, before the oil light even has a chance to come on. seems to happen to all cars with any mods or no mods at all. as well as the turbo seal problem we have to deal with. its great to have talented people working on fixes, but in the end, Mazda needs to give the final word, with their TSBs and fixes.

The engine doesn't just evacuate oil. Typically what is happening with popped engines is a rod going through the block (which will evacuate the oil). The problem itself is not the oil leaving the block though.

one thing that may occur is the pcv ingesting oil from the crankcase because of its poor design and then this oil begins to collect in the intake manifold then at a certain point it the engine sucks the oil in and it much like sucking in water, it causes the engine to hydrolock thus breaking a rod and tossing it from the block.

doesnt the rod go through the block becuase the engine isnt oiled enough to deal with the low down torque, though? some people have only cracked a piston, and all the oil evacuates. i thought pistons crack because of metal on metal contact. therefore signaling that in the end, it really is about the oil anyway?

doesnt the rod go through the block becuase the engine isnt oiled enough to deal with the low down torque, though? some people have only cracked a piston, and all the oil evacuates. i thought pistons crack because of metal on metal contact. therefore signaling that in the end, it really is about the oil anyway?

That is not correct. Firstly, pistons most-often crack because of detonation. Another reason they can crack is hydrolock or some sort of debris or contamination entering the combustion chamber. The instance you're referring to (no oil lubricating the cylinder) will cause the piston and rings to adhere to the cylinder wall first.

Then, depending on within which part of the combustion cycle this takes place, the centrifugal force of the crankshaft will either shear the piston pin or rip a rod cap (trying to pull the piston down), or bend/break a rod or punch the rod through the center of the piston (trying to push the piston upward).

A connecting rod can bend, break, or leave the engine block because of numerous things. One of them being low or no oil. However, unless you completely blow a main seal (common in older, big V8's because of poor main seal design; highly uncommon for modern engines), or forget to put your filter or drain plug back in the likelihood of an all-out oil evacuation is slim-to-none. There is nowhere for the oil to go in the self-contained system.

A sudden spike in applied torque without an ability to deliver the torque can cause driveline and engine components (like connecting rods) to bend or break as well. This is further amplified by larger displacement per cylinder engines and engines with very long strokes. The piston, pin, and rod are all generally larger and heavier because they have to displace more cylinder volume. The heavier those rotating components are, the more adversely they are affected by forces such as applied torque. The MZR DISI 2.3L turbo is a relatively large displacement per cylinder engine.

For instance, we'll assume just for sake of an example that it takes 100 Newtons to move the rotating mass for a 1.6L 4-cylinder. You can also assume that you can divide the required force by four so that during operation it takes 25 Newtons per cylinder to keep the engine rotating. Now, we'll say the diameter of said 1.6L piston is 6 inches. That makes the surface area of the piston 28.26 square inches. We can associate the weight per square inch at 10 grams/inch^2; which is 282.6 grams.

Moving on to a 2.3L 4-cylinder, you can say that it takes 160 Newtons to move the rotating mass. Divide that by four and you've got the 40 Newtons it takes to rotate the mass for each cylinder. Assuming a diameter of 8 inches per cylinder you end up with 50.27 square inches; with a weight of 502.7 grams.

As you can see, by increasing the displacement by 44% without distributing the displacement over additional cylinders, we nearly doubled the weight of the rotating mass (+78%). That is why these engines are known for bending and eventually breaking rods. That is also why they don't turn high revs like a Honda engine. Additionally that is the reason companies like Ferarri will make a V8 out of a 3.6L, a V10 out of a 5L, and a V12 out of a 5.75L and 6L.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I needed to illustrate my point to the fullest.

Last edited:
Back