Dashboard rattle over bumps - my story...

:
'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White
I am posting my solution to dashboard rattle issue I had experienced for months after I purchased by CX-5.

All rattle seems to be gone now, so I'd like to report the steps I've taken to cure it.

First, the initial problem occurred especially when driving over bumps during colder mornings. The rattle came from the middle of the dashboard.
I went to the dealer and they were able to cure this issue by installing some sort of foam padding. I was not able to find out exactly what caused the problem, but the issue was resolved so I did not inquire further about steps that had been performed.

In a nutshell, the rattle from the middle of dashboard was gone.

Shortly after, I noticed very annoying rattle coming from either very end of the dashboard. Sometimes the rattle came from the left end, sometimes from the right.

I brought the car back to the dealer, but they "weren't able to reproduce the problem". Actually, they blamed all on "noises coming from the glove box", which was not the case at all.

The problem was very noticeable and I really could do nothing about it (I went to different dealer to get 2nd opinion).

Interestingly enough, this did not happen all the time. It happened especially when I drove over 'semi-uneven' road.

Now, the revelation that occurred purely by coincidence...

When I was installing front satellite speakers in my Sport CX-5, sometimes I noticed very similar rattle during my work. Well, the car was in my garage so certainly this was not during driving.

I began to investigate left and right pillar plastic covers. Soon enough, I noticed that this rattle sound comes from those plastic covers.

Apparently, under certain conditions the dashboard was pushing towards either side (plastic cover) during driving that either left or right cover produced that sound.

Next, I prepared .125" spacers made from black paper tape and inserted them right between the dashboard and the pillar (plastic piece)
Both pieces are hidden and not visible, but each one creates a dumping zone between dashboard and pillars.

I know that for some of you might find this as 'ghetto' solution, but it has worked fine for me. All rattle noises have been gone since.

Hope this might help someone.

2013-Mazda-CX-5-Interior-Dashboard.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-Mazda-CX-5-Interior-Dashboard.jpg
    2013-Mazda-CX-5-Interior-Dashboard.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,196
thanks! That is awesome that you took the time to let us know the solution. Intermittent, very light noises can be the worst for techs to try to find. And yet those really faint noises can be really annoying when they just keep going. And with so much plastic on plastic and plastic on metal contact there is a lot of room for noises. Especially when so much of cars interiors now are snap together to speed the build process.

Along the same lines I'll throw this one out there:

On mine I had a creak sort of sound when I'd put any pressure on the armrest on the door. And once I put pressure on it it would creak on and off until I pulled out on the panel. I tried adjusting it by loosening the screw under the rubber piece in the pocket where you pull the door closed but only had limited results with that. I finally discovered that the plastic from the upper section of the door panel was rubbing against the metal of the door at the very end of it towards the rear.
I used what sounds similar to your solution of a small bit of friction tape at the spot where the two meet and the noise is gone.

Trevor
http://mazda.handa.com

Thanks for sharing gova. These are the kind of "home-grown" solutions that can be invaluable to other forum members. I find it disappointing that there are not more of them here. Too many members depend on the dealer to chase down and resolve issues like this and that is usually a fruitless effort. I am also on a popular MX-5 forum where members are constantly coming up with solutions to minor problems with their Miatas. My CX-5 is beginning to generate more than its share of rattles and buzzes and I would be overjoyed if I could find a simple fix or two here!

^This! I don't have the time to drop my vehicle off at the dealer for a rattle, I'll either live with it (heck I listen to the radio most of the time, therefore obscuring typical rattles) or I'll attempt to sort it myself, which after this morning (rattle from the left area in question) and then seeing this most excellent post, you can bet I'll take care of it my self. (2thumbs)

Mine is also doing the same thing and I notice that it was in the same area. I was thinking of doing the same exact thing but I haven’t got time to do it. I also had a metal to metal noise in the rear of the car so I took it to the dealership and they told me it was the center section of the rear seat and that the problem was the latch that holds that section in place. They try to realigned it but the noise was still there. I got home, put some black tape around the metal bracket and the noise is gone.

I know that I expect a $25k car to be perfect but I also knew that there was a huge risk buying the very first year of a completely new car. So far I’m happy that these small rattles is all I have to worry about unlike the Ford guys :D

Yup. My A-pillar covers rattle as well. Mostly on the driver's side. Been trying to conjure up a better solution than just wedging a piece of napkin or something in there to dampen it. haha! Thanks for the write up and good idea! I'll likely follow suit.

And really, this isn't a ghetto solution. This kinda of thing is what dealership techs do to subtle interior rattles.

Hey, I am happy that few of you have found this helpful.

To further comment my solution. I took a closer look at those areas yesterday.

It looks like both the dashboard and speaker cover would make contact with A-Pillar plastic. My dampening piece had been placed in between so it separates both evenly.

Good information. Like others have said, I would like to find the problem and solution rather than take it to a dealer. My VW had a bubble in the dash padding when it was new and they replaced the entire dash. It then had rattles so they replaced it again, it was never right.

I want to try your solution but I am not sure what black paper tape is and where you can obtain it.
Thanks for your help.

I want to try your solution but I am not sure what black paper tape is and where you can obtain it.
Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of the tape.

It does not have to be black nor it has to be made from paper either...

I'd bet that regular painter masking tape will do well. All you need to do is create a spacer by folding tape a few times. Eventually it will turn into piece of desired width.

Finally, insert pieces into the slot between dashboard and a-pillar cover. I tucked my pieces in with flat screwdriver. All should not take more that 5-10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 578
Back