Dash cam installation question (2015 CX-3 Sport Nav)

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been answered before, but I want to install a dash cam (a129 duo) and hardwire it for the parking mode. I have searched, but can't find and information on the fuse slots that can be used. I have the hardwire kit with the add-a-fuse kit and a 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav.

Any help will be useful.

Thanks all

CME

Just pick a fuse, and use it. A dash cam draws hardly any current, so you're not going to overload anything.

thanks for the reply. Specifically, I'm looking for the fuse that will enable to camera to go into Parking mode when the car is off

I'm not familiar with the 2015 CX-3, but does it have 12v sockets in the front or back seat areas that remain powered on when the car is off? If it does, you can use the fuses tied to those.

So to be clear, do you want that dashcam to never turn off, or do you want it to turn off and on with the ignition?

So, I want it to turn on as normal and record for a regular journey. That bit is fine. I also want to activate the Parking mode that starts recording when it detects motion/impact. For that, it needs to be patched into an always on circuit. I have the HK3 ACC Hardwire Kit with the add-a-fuse kit, but can't find any information as to which fuse circuit is always on. I was hoping someone here may have an idea

You have to do what @sm1ke suggested: use a multimeter and just probe the ends of the fuses until you find one with 12V, no matter the key position. It'll only take you 30 seconds to find one. Then that's the one you use.

I did try a quick google search to see if anyone else on other forums has described the particular fuse they used for this purpose, and didn't find anything.

You could also try joining a CX-3 Facebook group and asking there, if you want to try and get a quick response without having to do the legwork of getting a multimeter and testing fuses yourself.

So, I want it to turn on as normal and record for a regular journey. That bit is fine. I also want to activate the Parking mode that starts recording when it detects motion/impact. For that, it needs to be patched into an always on circuit. I have the HK3 ACC Hardwire Kit with the add-a-fuse kit, but can't find any information as to which fuse circuit is always on. I was hoping someone here may have an idea
As someone who's used trail cameras and motion activated lights, you should rethink this before you end up with a drained battery and stuck. Very little motion can set these off, wildlife, domestic cats wandering around outside, debris during windy days, and traffic(which if your parked on a busy street...) I would only buy/use an impact activated camera. Or if you can only set the one you have for impact recording. Motion detection is a bad idea. At least with trail cams you can use delay and decrease features for battery to last longer.
Imo, the street traffic on busy street might wear you car battery down very quickly. Even a store parking lot with alot of cars and people walking behind/around your vehicle would be draining the battery. Im not familar with these always-on car cameras but I think hard-wiring always on may be a bad idea. The way I see it, it's not a ferrari and you have insurance, and you may not get a license plate so what good would the pics do ?

Last edited:
The whole point of the motion detection is to catch motion. Impact sensors won't trigger if a thief comes around and tries to open an unlocked door.

I have an A129 Duo installed on my CX-9. It is wired to be always on though the Homelink-enabled rearview mirror. I do not have Parking Mode enabled (too lazy to set it up every time), but I have no issues when I let it record through the night. We just had a long weekend (Monday off), and the car sat from Saturday morning to Tuesday morning with the dashcam running all day, and the car started up fine. With that said, letting the dashcam run for too long on its own will absolutely drain the battery. In my personal experience on my CX-9, it takes 5-7 days.

@CME if you drive the car often enough, you probably won't have to worry about running the car's battery down.

Back