Dark "Soot-Like" deposit on tailpipe

fxpthl

Enthusiats all, after a great drive up to Yosemite and many twisties in between there and So. Calif., I noticed that my tailpipe was pretty much covered with a black, chalky substance! It looks to me like the engine is running way too rich and if so, how do I adjust that? If it is something that a professional should do then so be it, but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty if it saves me a few tokens in the process. BTW, I didn't see any type of smoke while driving these over 1100 miles and it was a great run for my Ebay- bought 97 Miata. All toll about 20+ cars attended this event from So.Cal.Miata Club as well as SJMC, Carson City,NV club too.

So....61 views but not one suggestion, answer, anecdote or anything else!? Perhaps this subject is just too mundane for this forum or my question is so dumb that there isn't a brave soul out there to tell me so. Either way, I will simply hope that someone will give me the benefit of the doubt and throw at least a comment of two on this subject. Everyone have a great day and for those of you in the path of "Sandy"...........time to leave or batten down your hatches!

1. Is the car a speed or N/A?

2. What modifications have been done to the ECU, if any?

3. Check MAF/plugs/filters/pump/o2sensor/etc

If it's really REALLY soot-covered moreso than a normal car would be after 1,000 miles of driving, then it could be something to look into... but you also did travel quite a distance

Thanks for your reply and comments Tillos. This is a normal / stock NA with the 1.8 engine. No modifications at all mechanically. O2 censor is fairly new and all the filters are good. I guess just traveling all those mile just might be what I am seeing. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, it's a Mazda. Mazdas run pig rich, especially dealing with altitude changes.

I agree with Phen on this one, sounds perfectly normal.

You might want to check your catalytic converter too. I've read that when people don't run a cat at all or when it goes bad that this happens. But I wouldn't bet on this.

Thanks for the replys. My 97 M Edition has just over 182K on the chassis but only about 80K on the new/used motor. Does that kind of mileage dictate that the cat. is bad? Only asking because I just don't know the answer!!

If it's a factory cat, then it could be plugged up. It's really hard to say exactly when a cat will go bad since it's a wear item and no two people drive exactly the same. Example, we had a Mercedes 190E with the factory cat at 335k miles.

Back