CX-90 iStop plus engine stall and light malfunction

It’s been a little over a month driving our brand new CX90… well, so far?…..

I have booked an appointment for Friday Aug4 at 10 am morning to bring in our CX90. I had a really scary and disappointing experience with the car's over all performance and experience a full month in driving it.

1. The car iStop stopped working and the only way to make the iStop hybrid restore to work is to turn the A/C completely off. It's gets too hot in the car and when the A/C is on, the hybrid feature gas saving capability will never work again.

2. The lag of the engine Vs turbo is horrible. Had 2 close calls that I need the cars power to accelerate and was almost hit by another on coming car (left and right turns) I've been driving since 16 years of age. I'm 44 now. You'd know my experience.

3. As you know we have a new born and the car twice stalled on us on the road. The engine stalled, stopped and will not engage in gear. I had to pull to the side on the highway and tune hazards on. Had to turn the car off and on to have it work again. This happened twice

4. After all this the engine light is now on and stating that there's an "engine malfunction." We have doctors appointments for baby and Andrea's surgery in the coming weeks and it's significantly important we have a working car. Twice the car stalled while my wife and daughter are passengers. It's not safe. If it's just me, it's ok. The car came completely choked while driving at 80kms/ hr on the highway and started to slow down and won't engage in gear to accelerate. I cause traffics. Twice!

Can you please have this and us a priority to your mechanics to fix this problem. Otherwise we love the new car but safety is key for us and reliability.

I'm almost disappointed

Had anyone experienced something similar?

Sorry to hear. I'd be reluctant to carry precious cargos too if I were you. Hope it would just be software glitch that can be patched with an update. Please keep us updated with the visit

#1 is normal if the outside temperature is high

(from the manual)
The i-stop function becomes
operational when all of the following
conditions are met.
 After engine warm-up.
 After starting the engine and driving
once.
 Hood is closed.
 The air conditioner is not operated
with the [defrost] airflow mode in the
position.
 The vehicle's interior temperature
and the set temperature for the air
conditioner are nearly the same.
 The ambient temperature is not too
low or too high.
 The atmospheric pressure is not low
(when not driving at high altitudes).
 The selector lever is in the D
position.
 The automatic transmission fluid has
warmed up sufficiently.
 The automatic transmission fluid
temperature is not abnormally high.
 The steering wheel is almost in the
straight-ahead position (the i-stop
function may not operate even with
the steering wheel in the
straight-ahead position if force is
applied to the steering wheel).
 The vehicle is not on a steep slope.
 The vehicle is not stopped suddenly.
 The temperature and the state of
charge of the M Hybrid Boost Battery
are good.
 The motor and regenerative braking
are in good condition

To OP.
I would be very mad as you are if this was my car.
You should also go to NHTSA to register a complaint since this is a safety issue.
Any engine stall on highway is crazily dangerous. This might end up with a recall.
(deltabc -> Delta British Columbia?)
Please tell us exactly which model of CX90 you got. Inline6 Turbo/Turbo-S or PHEV?

Did you try to read the error code since there is a "Engine Malfunction" message in the dash.
Thru MID, you should be able to see the Error.
If not, you can have a nearby AutoZone read it out for you.

Hope you have this resolved soon.

Back