CX-90 Blind Spot Monitor Malfunction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ydjD7cRx4
My son recorded the video on 5/2/2023

We were experiencing driver side blind spot monitoring system malfunction. It would randomly and falsely warn us of a car in our blind spot when there isn't. It sometimes just stays on for no reason when the car is in motion and even when stationary.

For some reason it hasn't happened as often the last few days. Was out driving for a couple of hours over the weekend trying to record it happening again, but the BSM was working fine for the entire 2 hours.
We have the same with our Cx90. Mazda is saying that this is normal operation. They did change both the sensors and still does it. To me this is a safety concern. My cx-30 doesn't do that. Just thought I would pass this along to you. Mazda is saying we are the only ones experiencing this so if we can get more people to bring this up to them maybe they will update the sensors.

I’m also having BSM false alerts on the drivers side. Happens off and on with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Some YouTube car reviewers have noted this as well.

I have a feeling a lot of owners will be reporting this in the coming months so I’m confident Mazda will have a fix.

If we can get more complaints on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the cx90's blind spot sensors going off false warnings and call mazda consumer service at 1800-222-5500. We need more than one person to complain to help get this Safety issue fixed

We have the same with our Cx90. Mazda is saying that this is normal operation. They did change both the sensors and still does it. To me this is a safety concern. My cx-30 doesn't do that. Just thought I would pass this along to you. Mazda is saying we are the only ones experiencing this so if we can get more people to bring this up to them maybe they will update the sensors.
They are crazy if they think it's normal for it to false alert only on the driver side. My other cars with BSM doesn't false alert like the CX-90. We are definitely not the only ones experiencing this. I've seen a few YouTube car reviewers mention about this issue as well. I just saw this YouTube video showing a new CX-90 PHEV having the same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp037529_Gs
You can see it happened a few times in that video and really noticeable at around 11:36 13:53 and 15:13.

I'm hoping Mazda will admit to having issues with the CX-90 and find fixes for them.

Quick question on the BSM….Does anyone use the auto-hold feature to hold the car without using the brakes at a traffic light? I have had my car for almost 3 months now and never used it until today….And during that drive cycle the driver side BSM started giving me false alerts when it has never done so before. May just be a coincidence or connected to the issue.

Quick question on the BSM….Does anyone use the auto-hold feature to hold the car without using the brakes at a traffic light? I have had my car for almost 3 months now and never used it until today….And during that drive cycle the driver side BSM started giving me false alerts when it has never done so before. May just be a coincidence or connected to the issue.
My husband's uses the auto-hold and never had that happen. So I wouldn't think that is connected to that issue. I wish it would be and they can fix this false alerts. But according to Mazda that is normal 😡

They are crazy if they think it's normal for it to false alert only on the driver side. My other cars with BSM doesn't false alert like the CX-90. We are definitely not the only ones experiencing this. I've seen a few YouTube car reviewers mention about this issue as well. I just saw this YouTube video showing a new CX-90 PHEV having the same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp037529_Gs
You can see it happened a few times in that video and really noticeable at around 11:36 13:53 and 15:13.

I'm hoping Mazda will admit to having issues with the CX-90 and find fixes for them.
I just hope more people will come forward with this issue. Our dealership and another one says we are the only ones having this issue. We'll maybe other people are not alert to this. If everyone can talk to Michael at Mazda,he is above everyone at Mazda America, maybe they will get a firecracker underneath there butts to get their knowledgeable people to fix this,to come up with a solution. I am ready to get rid of ours soon if nothing happens in a couple of months

We've had our CX-90 Turbo S PP since late April and also experience the false driver's side BSM alert. After almost 1,000 miles I've determined that it only occurs between 20 mph (system activation speed) and 54 mph where it almost continuously cycles on and only briefly off. Once 55 mph or greater is reached it turns off and functions correctly at highway and freeway speeds, which is good as that's where it is most needed.

It is very annoying to have it alert for almost every left turn around town, on two-lane roads and even in our subdivision where there clearly aren't cars next to us.

Hopefully they determine a fix soon.

Has anyone contacted Mazda customer support or their dealer to report the issue?
We have contacted Mazda and they said that this is normal. Before they came up this they did replace both of the sensors, but that didn't help. Because they said that this is normal or dealership will not do anything with it. If other people would call up Mazda to let them know they are also having this issue they will do something. Right now they are saying we are the only one with this issue. Here is Mazda's # 1-800-222-5500, and if you need to go up higher it will be Michael, he is over North America Mazda.

Sounds like it is not the hardware, but the software, which might be too sensitive in CX-90.

None of my four Mazdas has this sort of issues.
I wonder what is new with CX-90.

Sounds like it is not the hardware, but the software, which might be too sensitive in CX-90.

None of my four Mazdas has this sort of issues.
I wonder what is new with CX-90.
I have had my 90 for almost 3 months now and just love it and was not having any blind spot issues until Friday during 1 drive cycle when I used the auto-hold for the first time. During that part of my drive the blind spot monitor was going off for no reason at all.

Today I had several errands to run so I decided to take the scenic route since I was not in a hurry. Roads were a multiple of 2 lane, 4 lane and freeway with a lot of traffic and other obstacles and probably 35 miles in total. I chose not to use the auto-hold and had no issues with the blind spot monitoring just like I have had since purchasing the car.

I’m not sure if it is related, but just throwing out a recent drive comparison and experience. I definitely did not like the auto-hold feature and prefer my foot on the brake for maximum safety and will not be using it in the future.

When you guys having BSM issue said "blind spot monitor going off".... was it just the orange indicator in the mirror? Did you hear the alarm sounding off when you change lane w/o signal when the indicator shows up?

I have another guess, which is that the indicator might be randomly shorted or not properly grounded or water into the mirror housing....

i.e. Not the radar sensor detecting anything, but something not right inside the mirror housing.
Hence, replacing sensors won't help at all. This also can explain activate auto-hold worsens the issue (due to more current draw)

I am interested in this issue since this does not happen to other Mazda models like Mazda3/6/CX5.

When you guys having BSM issue said "blind spot monitor going off".... was it just the orange indicator in the mirror? Did you hear the alarm sounding off when you change lane w/o signal when the indicator shows up?

I have another guess, which is that the indicator might be randomly shorted or not properly grounded or water into the mirror housing....

i.e. Not the radar sensor detecting anything, but something not right inside the mirror housing.
Hence, replacing sensors won't help at all. This also can explain activate auto-hold worsens the issue (due to more current draw)

I am interested in this issue since this does not happen to other Mazda models like Mazda3/6/CX5.
Orange indicator light on mirror and the 3 bar HUD display showing left rear sensor detecting false obstruction. No lane changes or alert chime but just flashing on and off going down the road with no other cars around.

Today 3 more drive cycles and no false alerts and I did not use auto-hold.

I too have noticed it seemed speed related. I share you sentiment of getting annoyed by alerts for left turns around town.

So I used one of the Mazda App "Give us Feedback" prompts to dump my CX-90 thoughts. Ill be going in to service department to pick up an oil filter / crush washer as I always change out engine break-in oil at 1k miles. Ill bring it up then, and have them make note of it.

Hopefully by the first free oil change done by them they have a fix and we can apply it then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ydjD7cRx4
My son recorded the video on 5/2/2023

We were experiencing driver side blind spot monitoring system malfunction. It would randomly and falsely warn us of a car in our blind spot when there isn't. It sometimes just stays on for no reason when the car is in motion and even when stationary.

For some reason it hasn't happened as often the last few days. Was out driving for a couple of hours over the weekend trying to record it happening again, but the BSM was working fine for the entire 2 hours.

I foresee a TSB coming.....
Yes there is a TSB coming out. Out dealership just called us today about it. Should be out sometime next week. They can't do any until they get that TSB. Just wanted everyone to know that.

This is certainly good news; I'd bet it's a radar signal processing issue, and I wonder if it will address the cruise control problem where the i-active system brakes when it perceives a passing semi as intruding in your lane.

Back