2007~2015 CX-9 will not lock unless the door light on lift gate is switched ON. Help!

Mazdapeeps,

I have a peculiar problem I am troubleshooting in my 07' CX9. The vehicle will not lock unless the door light on lift gate is switched to the ON position. That same light will not dim/turn OFF when lift gate closes and locks. The light stays on, killing the battery and reaping havoc.

I included pics of the lift gate light switch in black that appears burnt. Possibly from the LED light I put in a few years ago, idk.

I'm ordering a new piece from the the local dealer for $32 (still verifying pricing)

Also, my center ceiling light is messed up, the switch broke and it just slides back and forth freely. I haven't taken that one apart to see if I can fix it yet.

The issue with locks is a priority as I cannot lock my vehicle without the light switch on the lift gate ON and since its malfunction, its slowly killing the battery.

Anybody have any insight on this lovely problem?

-Working things out on the way to the 200K_+miles club.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    23 KB · Views: 227
  • lift gate light back II.jpg
    lift gate light back II.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 243
  • lift gate light back.jpg
    lift gate light back.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 279
  • lift gate light II.jpg
    lift gate light II.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 200
  • lift gate light.jpg
    lift gate light.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 204
  • ceiling light.jpg
    ceiling light.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 217
That is very odd. As a temporary fix have you tried locking it with the tailgate light bulb removed or with the lift gate light module disconnected?

Does locking the door with the physical key on the driver‘s door work ?

That is very odd. As a temporay fix have you tried locking it with the tailgate light bulb removed or with the lift gate light module disconnected?
Does locking the door with the physical key on the driver‘s door work ?
Thanks for your suggestions. I have the part coming in from the dealer today so I hope that fixes it.

I did try without the bulb and it wont lock, seems the light completes the circuit for the doors to lock, without the bulb, the car thinks the door is open. I didn't disconnect the light module as I do not know where that is.

The vehicle doesn't have a physical key, ( at least I do not have one) only a key fob.

I'll update this post once I install the new lift gate light assembly.

If you have this keyfob the key is hidden in it. See at the 20 second mark of the video.

The connector to the module is white and can be seen at the top of the module on your 3rd photo. You simply unplug the white connector from the module to remove it and replace it.

Let us know of your replacement module fixes the issue when it comes in.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have the part coming in from the dealer today so I hope that fixes it.

I did try without the bulb and it wont lock, seems the light completes the circuit for the doors to lock, without the bulb, the car thinks the door is open. I didn't disconnect the light module as I do not know where that is.

The vehicle doesn't have a physical key, ( at least I do not have one) only a key fob.

I'll update this post once I install the new lift gate light assembly.
Are you sure the fob doesn't have an emergency key hidden in it? Mine does.

Fresh off the boat from Korea, I received my part from the dealer. With a flat head, I was able to change out the part in under one minute. Worked like a charm. I was happy paying the $32 to be able to fix this problem and lock my doors again as normal.

I would say this was caused by the aftermarket LED I used though I have no way to confirm this. So far this is the only fixture that has done this in the 100K miles I've owned this vehicle.

Attachments

• NEW lift gate light.jpg
    NEW lift gate light.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 177
  • NEW lift gate light2 part num.jpg
    NEW lift gate light2 part num.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 169
  • NEW lift gate light2 part num2.jpg
    NEW lift gate light2 part num2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 159
  • NEW lift gate light2.jpg
    NEW lift gate light2.jpg