CX-9 Wandering on highway

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
Orig owner. Picked it up with 2 miles. At about 6000 I noticed it was getting challenging to keep it in the center of my lane. Always having to correct the direction to bring it back to center. I've varied the tire pressures. I've inspected the wheel bearings. I've inspected the tie rods. I have even put a ranch on the steering gear assembly attach bolts. And I've had multiple alignments. I've driven two other cx-9s, a cx-5, a Honda pilot and a Toyota Grand highlander. They all drive with precision. Anybody else have this symptom? I'm suspecting the pinion gear preload pressure on the rack in the steering assembly. It's driving me nuts. I know there is a procedure to test the rotational force of the pinion gear 2 determine if the pinion gear to rack adjustment is correct. But apparently the steering assembly has to be removed from the vehicle. I'm still in warranty and I still have 16,000 miles in my car. I plan on selling it if I can't figure this out. I love the car otherwise. Sorry. Forgot to mention I put on a set of Michelin defender2s. No help

Last edited:
You have tried aligning with a bit of toe in already?

Coming from a newer Toyota Sienna, the highway twitchiness was one of the noticeable differences. Very susceptible to tramlining. Not as relaxing to drive long distances. Always minor corrections. I will say that either just got used to it, or it has settled down as suspension has worked itself in.

18" winters on right now, and other than the noise, I love the way it drives with the smaller rims. Steering is a bit lighter and ride comfort.

I was thinking when I replace the original tires, i'd ask them to dial in a smidge of toe in to see if it would help.

Yea, the dealer did a good alignment. (I have had several in the last 10,000 miles). A few by an independent shop and a few by the dealer. So the front total toe settings have ranged: positive .04 thru .45 and everything in between. This last one along with switching to Defender2 235-65-18s has been the best. Both front and rear were .16 total toe .08 each wheel and thrust angle and steer ahead were exactly zero. Looked fake it was so even. Everything is tight. Drives nice but always correcting. Drove my brothers telluride tonight and it's two fingers and it can go what feels like miles with the wheel stationary. I suspect the pinion preload on the rack but that's way beyond what a dealership wants to mess with. I drove two 2022 cx-9s and both were precise.

I had a similar problem with a Toyota Landcruiser a few years ago. Tires didn't have that many miles on them and exhausted all potential options with suspension, etc. Hated to spend the money but last resort was new set of tires and problem solved. If you go that route and problem still not solved at least you will know it's the vehicle and dealer needs to resolve since still under warranty. I'd also recommend getting tires and install from dealer.

So you've had multiple alignments and the problem didn't change? And new tires and the problem didn't change? The hardware is about all that is left. Schedule with a sit-down with the service manager, not just a service writer. Get his ideas on how to fix it. He has resources at Mazda USA that we don't have. Also look up the Lemon Law in your state and see if you are within the deadline. "challenging to keep it in the center of my lane" sounds like a safety issue for sure.

I don't understand, "So the front total toe settings have ranged: positive .04 thru .45 and everything in between." The readings from one alignment to the next over a short period of time should have been very close to each other. Different alignment machines may have slightly different calibration, but always close. For the readings to be quite different either something in the car is moving or one or more of the machines were way out of calibration.

Don't even think about selling the car. It can be fixed. You need to find someone willing and able to find and fix the problem.

Last edited:
So you've had multiple alignments and the problem didn't change? And new tires and the problem didn't change? The hardware is about all that is left. Schedule with a sit-down with the service manager, not just a service writer. Get his ideas on how to fix it. He has resources at Mazda USA that we don't have. Also look up the Lemon Law in your state and see if you are within the deadline. "challenging to keep it in the center of my lane" sounds like a safety issue for sure.

I don't understand, "So the front total toe settings have ranged: positive .04 thru .45 and everything in between." The readings from one alignment to the next over a short period of time should have been very close to each other. Different alignment machines may have slightly different calibration, but always close. For the readings to be quite different either something in the car is moving or one or more of the machines were way out of calibration.

Don't even think about selling the car. It can be fixed. You need to find someone willing and able to find and fix the problem.
The setting on the alignments don't migrate they stay the same from alignment to alignment. The independent shop initially set the alignment at 04 positive toe. Then .18, then .26 then then I put this steering wandering issue on the back burner to address a creek. I have a whole thread on that and YouTube videos to show the creek noise. When they put on a lower control arm and then finally reposition the subframe there was an alignment done on each one of those maintenance actions. those alignments came in at approximately .35 total total and .45 total toe. This last alignment was the best for reducing the wandering. I am convinced it's the steering gear not having enuf pinion preload on the rack. It's the only thing that's left. Mazda has a pinion rotational torque of 8 to 12 lb-in to eval the preload. There is a jamb nut and Allen adjustment but my guess is Mazda doesn't want techs messing with adjusting pinion preload. It's most likely just a replacement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back