CX-9 sunroof drainage

Hi, I purchased a second hand 2012 cx9 luxury 2 months ago. This is first time I have purchased a cx9. do not have undercover parking. Recently we heard water squishing in passenger side and the passenger floor is wet. Big squishy noise when one turn right. I called Mazda and they immediately said it’s the sunroof drainage and that we must park under cover when it rains or get a tarpin to put over the sunroof when it rains. They said this is a common issue with the older Cx9. They have booked it in next week to fix and charge $175 per hour and said it could be whole day depending on the issue.
This was all new to me.
I have a Honda Accord euro with sunroof and absolutely no issues
Has anyone encountered this and is this a unique issue for Mazda CX-9 as opposed to other cars with sunroofs. Did Mazda ever issue a recall.
Just a bit surprised re this that I had no idea and would not purchased a cx9 luxury had I known this.

I saw on this forum that it happens sometimes that the sunroof drain gets clogged. If i recall the symptoms you are mentioning are correct. I don’t have that generation so don’t know if it is an easy fix, but i feel like you can probably get the drains cleared at another independant shop and not pay the 175$/hours. (That rate seems outrageous honestly).

The symptoms you describe sound more like a clogged AC condensate drain. If you turn on the AC do you see any water dripping out of the bottom of the car? There are two drains, the front one tends to clog. You can unclog it with a can of compressed air or a shop vac. Search the forum.

That’s not unique to Mazda. I vacuum and blow out the sunroof area on any vehicle I own a couple times a year, more so if I’ve been around needle trees. Did it a few weeks ago on my FILs GMC because it was starting to drip if he backed into his driveway and it rained. I know some people specifically look for vehicles without sunroofs because it’s just another thing to maintain and another thing to break

My Toyota Landcruiser had the same issue until the dealer told me to once a year clean out the drain holes you can only see when you use a ladder and the roof is totally open. Had to use weedwhacker type line to fish down into the holes and unclog. Otherwise carpet in footwells would get wet even with roof totally closed during rain. Yep, not uncommon to other vehicles besides Mazda.

Back