2016~2023 CX-9 Roof box: Thule Motion XT XL

Just picked up a Thule Motion XT XL.

I was not 100% about the size (large versus extra large); the guy at REI convinced me to go with the XL and I'm glad I did (perfect fit).

Box is mounted via Thule Evo Wingbar cross bars.

Looking forward to getting luggage and sports equipment out of the cabin.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 1,382
Just drove 1,000 miles with the Thule Motion XT XL. There's a slight wind noise but it's hardly noticeable. And no noticeable change in MPG (hard to believe).

Also worth mentioning, I still fit in parking garages. The height limit is often 7'2 and I'm at 7'0...

Just drove 1,000 miles with the Thule Motion XT XL. There's a slight wind noise but it's hardly noticeable. And no noticeable change in MPG (hard to believe).

Also worth mentioning, I still fit in parking garages. The height limit is often 7'2 and I'm at 7'0...
@roundle1979 Hi there, can you please let me know the Thule part numbers you have used for this? And do you have factory fitted flush rails?

What kind of MPG numbers are you getting before and after? I'm very concerned with the MPG hit. I would think it would be more noticeable at higher speeds.

Are the cross bars and roof box easy to remove when not in use?

I drove 2800 miles from NY to CA without the box, then 2800 miles from CA to NY with the box. I did not notice a difference in MPG, shockingly.

I leave the cross bars on year round. The box is very easy to take off with two people. I will leave the box on for the ski season and in the warmer months only use it for road trips.

I was undecided between a Thule motion L or XL. My main concern was with the rear antenna since I have the OEM roof rack and it seems to sit lower then the aftermarket bars. I took the plunge after seeing this post and I am glad to report that the XL fits just as well with the OEM rack. There is still about 2 inches left above the antenna, and lots of room to move the box forward or backward as preferred. Photos are from my fit test (plastic wrapper still on the box). With the box as far as I would be confortable having it without interfering with the liftgate.
4515B8E4-646A-4BB3-997F-593D76E4674A.jpeg
9E378287-7D1C-4985-B938-028FBABF0CA6.jpeg

Well done.

We've done a lot of miles with our roof box. For a family of 5 who typically use all three rows on longer trips, the box is a game changer. I also left the skis (about 5 pairs) in the box all winter...

I notice that the box does negatively influence XM reception a bit but it does not kill it all together.

Wanted to say thanks for the pictures on this! I'm planning to take the plunge on this box for my 2020 CX-9 and seeing the fitment is a big help. Will report back with how the install goes.

Quick Bump to give another thumbs up for the Thule Motion XT XL. We just had one installed with Thule's Aero bars and it works like a dream. Size wise the box is definitely a sweet spot, anything larger would be tough to clear the tailgate and be awkward towards the front. The box was a game changer for a recent camping trip and worked great especially for lighter but bulky stuff like sleeping bags and camping chairs. I bought it from the local Minnesota Rack Attack dealer and had them install it too which was way worth it.

Storage wise I don't have the tallest Garage so it took a bit of a customized storage setup. I mounted 2x 36" long pieces of galvanized pipe to the wall studs using an 8' 2x4 to spread the weight out; and installed a rope & pulley system for a belt and suspenders approach. Lots of options out there but I found a Storeyourboard.com setup that worked great and was pretty well built. It was only $80 delivered, way easier and comparable to sourcing it all myself. Thule's rope system was more than double. The 3 pulley "Teal Triangle Elite Cargo Box Pulley System" helped as it can be tricky to clear the box otherwise.

MPG impact seems pretty negligible so far. We don't have XM so I can't speak to that, but no issues with GPS or AM/FM radio either. Slight increase in wind noise as others noted but closing the inside sunroof cover negates that.

https://www.storeyourboard.com/teal-triangle-elite-cargo-box-pulley-system/?source=category_page

Setup run down:
Thule 460R Rapid Podium Fixpoint Feet
Thule Podium Fit Kit 3160
Thule Wingbar Evo 118 cm (47 in.) Black
Thule Motion XT XL Black Cargo Box

Attachments

• Thule Motion XT XL installed.jpg
    Thule Motion XT XL installed.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Thule Box Storage setup.jpg
    Thule Box Storage setup.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 276