CX-9 Real MPG

Everyone here is getting amazing mileage. I have a serious problem noone can figure out. Last 3 tanks, city driving getting around 7.5mpg, yes you got that right. Summertime i was getting around 12mpg. Car seems to run fine, no codes or smelling or being rich or leaks that i can see.

Everyone here is getting amazing mileage. I have a serious problem noone can figure out. Last 3 tanks, city driving getting around 7.5mpg, yes you got that right. Summertime i was getting around 12mpg. Car seems to run fine, no codes or smelling or being rich or leaks that i can see.

How many miles on your cx9?

Everyone here is getting amazing mileage. ...

Maximum what I could get so far driving daily (and already 9 month) my 2013 CX-9 is 18 mpg. My usual pattern is 60/40% city/highway. I'm not considering 18 mpg is the "amazing mileage" at all. But in my case, it is better than what I was getting in my previously owned SUV where I had only 13 mpg all around.

Mine is a 2010 2WD Sport. At 72-3 MPH on generally level highway (plenty of that in Texas) on cruise, no headwind - I get 25-27 on a consistent basis. I keep the tires properly inflated, use a premium synthetic oil, Shell gasoline, when available, and a K&N air filter. Around town, I am in the 17-18 range. Around town I tend to use the manual shift feature, especially braking. I have reported these figures for the entire time I've been a member here. I have noticed that many reporting here are driving AWD, which I do not need in South Texas, AC, yes, but not AWD, ADD, or ACLU.

Checking back in…

With 2 years on the vehicle, the best I have gotten is 15-16 mpg. Living on an island, most trips are short = 5-35 miles and under 55 mph. But it's warm.

Most of my V6 vehicles have averaged 22 mpg with enthusiastic driving.

2013 CX-9 Touring AWD

I'm getting between 19.5 and 22 mpg. The dash rating is usually off by 1-2 mpg compared to what I calculate from the trip and number of gallons pumped. I live in the suburbs so my driving consists of 30% back roads averaging speeds around 35-45 mph with occasional stop lights and 70% highway driving at 70 mph with the cruise control on most of the time.

Wheel bearings maybe? Or possibly a sticking brake pad? Clogged air filter? Something is wrong with your car if you can't get better than 15 mpg...unless you let the car idle for extended periods (stop lights, warming it up in cold weather, waiting for your kids at school, etc).

Before we got rid of our 2013, we were getting 16mpg average, but it had a high weight to freeway.

FYI regarding ethanol-
Basic power per volume calculations and scientific study have proven that when ethanol is mixed with fuel, regardless of burn rates, the fuel has less "power" per volume. In other words, when ethanol based fuel is converted for energy (ie. burned as with internal combustion engines) it requires more. The studies performed on laboratory engines and E10 fuel causes the engines to burn through more fuel to make the same amount of energy than with non-ethanol added fuels.
In other words, the opposite effect has happened: adding 10% ethanol has the opposite desired effect. We're burning MORE fuel (in forms of less MPG for example), not less. The more efficient and "cleaner" burn was also not proven in laboratory tests, or was mathematically irrelevant. (These are from multiple lab tests I have read)

City mileage

I get solid 17.4 driving around in the burbs.... Have not been on the open road long enough to tell.

Before we got rid of our 2013, we were getting 16mpg average, but it had a high weight to freeway.

FYI regarding ethanol-
Basic power per volume calculations and scientific study have proven that when ethanol is mixed with fuel, regardless of burn rates, the fuel has less "power" per volume. In other words, when ethanol based fuel is converted for energy (ie. burned as with internal combustion engines) it requires more. The studies performed on laboratory engines and E10 fuel causes the engines to burn through more fuel to make the same amount of energy than with non-ethanol added fuels.
In other words, the opposite effect has happened: adding 10% ethanol has the opposite desired effect. We're burning MORE fuel (in forms of less MPG for example), not less. The more efficient and "cleaner" burn was also not proven in laboratory tests, or was mathematically irrelevant. (These are from multiple lab tests I have read)

Well said. I'm lucky I live on the coast and able to purchase non-ethanol fuel on a regular basis. We have all 3 grades available through various gasoline stations. I also own motorcycles that I race and there is a big difference in performance. All my small power equipment also require less maintenance and last longer with non-ethanol fuel. I bought my daughter a CX-5 and have gotten 5 more mpg on the highway with non-ethanol fuel. Of course, the wife drives the CX-9. My vehicle, a VW Touareg w/full time 4 wheel drive and weigh 600 lbs more than the CX-9 get 25 - 26 mpg city and 31 - 33 highway using clean diesel fuel. It can tow 8000 lbs like its not there and 0-60 in 7 sec. I wish Mazda would put a diesel in the CX-9.

Back