2016~2023 CX-9 Motorized front cooling louver - does it move?

Hey everyone,

So the 2016+ CX-9 has a front cooling louver that supposedly helps warm the engine up by temporarily closing to restrict air flow. In freezing weather perhaps? Anyhow, I don't think I've ever seen them closed at all.

Have any of you seen it closed? If so, under what conditions?

Thanks,

N

Edit: Found some info online. It's called the radiator shutter assembly Part No. TK48-50-R10.

Last edited:
Here is the thread where this was discussed before.

Post in thread '2016-2018 Active Grille Shutters'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2016-2018-active-grille-shutters.123865464/post-6688350

I identified in it the various scenarios where they close or open (at least that was for a 2018). Most of it happen while driving, it would be very hard to notice, and the position when the engine is off is “fully open”.

In short, when driving they are fully closed unless the engine or the AC need the additional cooling, at which point they open to 78 degree. And they open up everytime you turn off the car.

Last edited:
Is this shutter located behind the front grill or below the front license plate opening?

Cool video. Nice to see them in action. The CX-9’s are similar but mounted higher in the front. (There is nothing in front of the bottom intercooler).

Latest posts

Back