CX-9 Maintenance interval suggestion

:
CX-9 CX-5 MSM
I have a 2016 cx-9 sig. I have done all of the maintenance myself minus the valve cleaning. I'm currently sitting at 75k miles. I have noticed some things about this engine. It is very similar to my old Mazdaspeed Miata. What I mean is it goes through spark plugs. I changed mine late at 52k miles. I checked them just now, and the porcelain is roasted. I also just drove to southern Michigan and back from the Florida panhandle. My oil smell strong of gasoline, I will be changing the oil, and the plugs. My hopes are to install a oil catch can this year. I will be changing the plugs every 25k miles, and oil every 3500 from now on.

Have you considered doing an oil analysis to confirm the oil dilution?

I've seen that others who have changed their plugs at the scheduled interval (40k mi) also have the scorched insulators. Is it possible that it's just normal "corona staining"?

I had a 2016 sig and I changed the plugs at 20,000 and they didn't look bad. I also changed my oil at 3,500. I noticed for a few oil changes that the level increased a little. The oil smelled like gas so i sent a sample to get an analysis which came back with a high amount of fuel in it. I now have a 2021 sig with 11,000mi on it with no issue at all. I did have a Cork Sport OCC on my 2016 but had a problem with bad odor when I installed it so I left it off my 2021.

Gladu, get the $30 oil analysis from Blackstone or elsewhere. If you have gas dilution into the oil this is a serious matter. It needs to be found and fixed. There may be one bad injector. Changing the oil more frequently is a band aid, not a fix.

I've seen no need for a catch can. The separator built into the engine seems to work well. The few who have installed catch cans have not reported them catching any oil, the last I've heard.

Love Blackstone. I have used them for years. Have not use them for my more recent Mazdas but I do still have a 1989 Honda Prelude that I send oil samples to once a year, just to make sure there are no symptoms of anything going bad in the engine.

@OP …. Part of Mazda’s solution to help prevent carbon buildup on the back of the valves is to keep the top of the engine hot… I believe over 400°. According to Mazda, carbon deposits don’t build up, or don’t build up as quickly, under the higher temperatures. I wonder if this hotter than normal environment contributes to the spark plugs looking scorched?

Back