CX-9 2016 Sunroof Exploded

I've just had a terrifying experience where the sunroof of my CX-9 exploded while I was driving the car during my holiday! Luckily my headliner was closed when this happened otherwise I would've been severely injured! I initially contacted the dealer I bought the car from (West End Mazda Parramatta) who said they cannot do anything to assist me. As far as I'm aware, according to ACCC the retailer/dealer who the car was purchased from is legally required to help sort out any of these issues or take it up to their head office if they can't. However, Justin from West End Mazda Blacktown was very helpful and referred the case to the corporate office. Despite all the efforts, it's disappointing to see that Mazda Corporate rejected the case which shows that they aren't willing to look after their customers.

PS: This has happened to many other people in the past and I think this could be a huge safety issue for Mazda.

Hood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Water

Unfortunately cases like these are difficult to resolve because there is so much "he said, she said" and no clear explanation for why it would break on it's own. There are a lot of theories that vary from manufacturing defects, to temperature/heat, to road vibrations, etc.

From what I've read about this issue in general, most manufacturers will honor a warranty claim or goodwill the repair if it appears that that sunroof "blew out" from the inside (little to no glass inside the car, cracked edges of glass pointing up instead of sinking down). See example below:

lindas-sunroof-4.jpg

Is there any chance that you have a dashcam installed, and that you have footage/audio of the moment that the glass broke? If so, that would help your case greatly.

Back