CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

The fact that you can get a cheaper CX90 than the least expensive CX70 is mind-boggling!
Including all fees and taxes about $4000 difference. The base CX-90 has less equipment (cloth seats) than the CX-70 GL-S (leatherette seats) but still...Not sure if we will ever get a base CX-70 in Canada as I didn't see anything in their press release. When the CX-90 was introduced, they said that the base model would be available later and it did come and my dealer has some in stock. Time will tell but I think a few buyers will opt for the CX-90 instead of the CX-70 they were anxiously waiting for; also I think the resale value would be better on a 3 row crossover than on a 2 row version but that remains to be seen.

I don't know if the suspension, steering, etc. are identical on both models. They could provide a slightly different driving experience. A road test comparing the two with similar trim would be nice. Road & Track, Car & Driver and others :)

Last edited:
The fact that you can get a cheaper CX90 than the least expensive CX70 is mind-boggling!
Proving once again, nobody ever got rich predicting what Mazda will do in the North American Market. SMH

Including all fees and taxes about $4000 difference. The base CX-90 has less equipment (cloth seats) than the CX-70 GL-S (leatherette seats) but still...Not sure if we will ever get a base CX-70 in Canada as I didn't see anything in their press release. When the CX-90 was introduced, they said that the base model would be available later and it did come and my dealer has some in stock. Time will tell but I think a few buyers will opt for the CX-90 instead of the CX-70 they were anxiously waiting for; also I think the resale value would be better on a 3 row crossover than on a 2 row version but that remains to be seen.

I don't know if the suspension, steering, etc. are identical on both models. They could provide a slightly different driving experience. A road test comparing the two with similar trim would be nice. Road & Track, Car & Driver and others :)
Some will opt for the 5 passenger seating of the CX-70 and a lot will opt for the 3rd row and just leave it down in the CX-90. With Mazda having predicted the CX-70 would be a poor selling vehicle not sure it matters. Their announced prediction was about 25% the sales volume of the CX-90. Which is why I think maybe the CX-90 sans back seat was a Plan B when delivering the Plan A CX-70 fell through.

Proving once again, nobody ever got rich predicting what Mazda will do in the North American Market. SMH

Some will opt for the 5 passenger seating of the CX-70 and a lot will opt for the 3rd row and just leave it down in the CX-90. With Mazda having predicted the CX-70 would be a poor selling vehicle not sure it matters. Their announced prediction was about 25% the sales volume of the CX-90. Which is why I think maybe the CX-90 sans back seat was a Plan B when delivering the Plan A CX-70 fell through.
Thing is, they will likely make it a self-fulfilling prediction by their CX-70 design choices.

"Let's make a CX-70 that isn't different from the 90, more like what should be an Option package of it (3 row vs. 2). Hmmm, sales of it may, predictably, be not that great."

So, Mazda basically blew off NA with the 70-that's-really-a-90, but at least as of now it sounds like their 80 will actually be different from the 60 (unless they manage to do an 80-that's-really-a-90, a hat trick :) )

Thing is, they will likely make it a self-fulfilling prediction by their CX-70 design choices.

"Let's make a CX-70 that isn't different from the 90, more like what should be an Option package of it (3 row vs. 2). Hmmm, sales of it may, predictably, be not that great."

So, Mazda basically blew off NA with the 70-that's-really-a-90, but at least as of now it sounds like their 80 will actually be different from the 60 (unless they manage to do an 80-that's-really-a-90, a hat trick :) )
They've made these two vehicles as complicated and confusing as possible to purchase for the consumer. 7 and 8 trim levels that are not the same between the two models, similar pricing, different paint options, and the general public isn't going to be able to tell them apart. Things like this are typically left to badge engineering between sister companies, not the same company.

Drama Llama!

They did the same thing with the CX-90. The base model only came out about 6 or 8 months after they release it. I am assuming they will do the same with the CX-70.

They did the same thing with the CX-90. The base model only came out about 6 or 8 months after they release it. I am assuming they will do the same with the CX-70.
Honestly, I would’ve gotten rid of the CX90 base model to make it more premium!

This is what they're doing - they've specifically stated that the lower power/trims won't be available until late Summer/Fall.

A real shame is that Mazda North America either can't bring or won't bring a 340hp inline 6 Mild Hybrid version of the CX-60 to the North American market. I know Australia is selling all 4 CX-60/70/80/90. While a little smaller than some people might like, it would sell better than the CX-70 by A LOT!

In my particular case it would have made a decision hard as it is smaller than my wife might wanted but might have been enough, especially based on price. The CX-5/50 were not an option with the 4 cylinder and the CX-90 too big. But with the alternative being $74K (X5 40i), it might have been enough.

A real shame is that Mazda North America either can't bring or won't bring a 340hp inline 6 Mild Hybrid version of the CX-60 to the North American market. I know Australia is selling all 4 CX-60/70/80/90. While a little smaller than some people might like, it would sell better than the CX-70 by A LOT!

In my particular case it would have made a decision hard as it is smaller than my wife might wanted but might have been enough, especially based on price. The CX-5/50 were not an option with the 4 cylinder and the CX-90 too big. But with the alternative being $74K (X5 40i), it might have been enough.
If it makes you feel any better, your prospective X5 is a CR top 10 car!

If it makes you feel any better, your prospective X5 is a CR top 10 car!

Oh, I am not unhappy about the X5. I had been planning to buy a M340i anyway so now I will have 2 cars with similar operating mannerisms that my wife can drive as they are both ZF 8sp automatics. It was just that my wife didn't need the BMW so it was more money than was necessary to spend. But...guess dying with lots of money in the bank is stupid too.

Oh, I am not unhappy about the X5. I had been planning to buy a M340i anyway so now I will have 2 cars with similar operating mannerisms that my wife can drive as they are both ZF 8sp automatics. It was just that my wife didn't need the BMW so it was more money than was necessary to spend. But...guess dying with lots of money in the bank is stupid too.
You could save some money by getting a Lexus RX for the wife though you will lose nearly 4 ft3 trunk space to the X5.

You could save some money by getting a Lexus RX for the wife though you will lose nearly 4 ft3 trunk space to the X5.
4 cylinder! Same reason not looking at an Acura RDX. Plus at 4400lbs almost back to the power to weight ratio of my wifes minivan.

4 cylinder! Same reason not looking at an Acura RDX. Plus at 4400lbs almost back to the power to weight ratio of my wifes minivan.
I've been seriously thinking about trading in my 4-cylinder X3 for an X5 but I will most likely need a third car soon and college payments start this Fall!

I've been seriously thinking about trading in my 4-cylinder X3 for an X5 but I will most likely need a third car soon and college payments start this Fall!
LOL Done with college. And lucky that both my daughters earned scholarships that paid the tuition. The X3 with the B58 is fun. 0-60mph in 4.4s. More than one needs for a SUV, but fun.

Good god, their website now has

CX5
CX60
CX70
CX8
CX9
CX90

Not to mention the 3, 30 and MX.

Their sales people must have nightmares keeping the models and trims straight!

Does seem like the 8 is on way out? Assume 9 is as well. Nevertheless, does make one wonder, right hand drive country like Japan, so this prob makes it easy to get cars there? Just bring them from Japan as is?

Course I assume these are all sold in Japan, which might not be the case...

Actually just glanced at the japanese website, they don't list the 70, 8, 9 or 90 there. Tops out at the 60 which makes sense given their tendency to small vehicles. The 60 must be like a Tahoe there.

So its not like Australia is just getting Japan's lineup...

Course they do have the 6 wagon:p...not sure about it's specs though as that part of the website didn't translate for me.

Actually just glanced at the japanese website, they don't list the 70, 8, 9 or 90 there. Tops out at the 60 which makes sense given their tendency to small vehicles. The 60 must be like a Tahoe there.

So its not like Australia is just getting Japan's lineup...

Course they do have the 6 wagon:p...not sure about it's specs though as that part of the website didn't translate for me.
Last time I was in Japan, I saw a 6 wagon and it looked absolutely massive in the context of Japanese domestic kei cars.

My prediction is that Mazda's willingness to obfuscate customers will only drive them to other brands!
This is what happened to us! Downsized from a CX-9 after 7yrs looking for a 5-passenger SUV but didn’t want the size of the CX-70 hence bought a CRV Hybrid Touring instead. Always loved Mazdas in fact last 3 vehicles we’ve owned were all Mazdas but sadly, not anymore! If the Cx-70 was smaller in size riding on a diff platform and looked a bit diff than CX-90 coupled with a hybrid or PHEV power train then we would’ve had no hesitations sticking to Mazdas!

Back