CX-70: Alexa OR CarPlay, Not Both

Looks like we have to choose between using Alexa or using CarPlay (I don’t know if Android Auto works the same way).

Alexa requires a WiFi hotspot, and CarPlay uses both WiFi and Bluetooth. Once I’m connected for one, I cannot connect the other.

Right now I am using CarPlay because I enjoy the integration it’s Google Maps and Spotify. Alexa would be nice to have as an assistant so it would be nice if there was a way to use both, but I don’t see it as possible - the only thing I can think of is having a second phone but I haven’t tried that.

If rumors are to be believed, Apple may integrate OpenAI/ChatGPT into Siri with iOS 18. If that's the case, I see no reason to use Alexa unless there are functions of the car locked behind it.

Alexa will allow you to control some car features like adjust the climate control, heated seats and radio settings.

Just curious, what features would Alexa bring in the car that Siri/carplay wouldn’t?
Alexa will give more "trivia" info and pics if asked whereas Siri won't due to knowing you're in a car. Alexa works fine on-demand even when CarPlay is active on my X3!

@youri, you can already control HVAC, heated seats, and radio via "Hey BMW" voice activation now that you have an X3!

If rumors are to be believed, Apple may integrate OpenAI/ChatGPT into Siri with iOS 18. If that's the case, I see no reason to use Alexa unless there are functions of the car locked behind it.
I'm already running a beta version of ChatGPT that's integrated into the MBUX on my GLS. As the database is only good until 2021, it's somewhat limited and not as nice as it sounds! I'm sure it'll get better over time but right now ChatGPT's novelty is mostly useless in a car.

Alexa will give more "trivia" info and pics if asked whereas Siri won't due to knowing you're in a car. Alexa works fine on-demand even when CarPlay is active on my X3!

@youri, you can already control HVAC, heated seats, and radio via "Hey BMW" voice activation now that you have an X3!
I saw that and BMW has a connected service subscription to use online voice recognition(without going through the phone) to improve its response.

But, call me old school, other than the cool factor, i don’t see much use personally for voice recognition in those scenario. I can use voice services to lower my window, but why would I ? There are four easy to reach button on my left to do that. Heated seats, also have buttons for that.

To call someone on my contact list, ask for a song or ask for a navigation address. Yes very useful. But all the other stuff, I am not so sure.

I guess I could use Alexa in car to control my home services. Like close my garage door or change my alarm system status, or maybe set an appointment, but will Alexa in car do that or does it only allow access to control your car functions?

I saw that and BMW has a connected service subscription to use online voice recognition(without going through the phone) to improve its response.

But, call me old school, other than the cool factor, i don’t see much use personally for voice recognition in those scenario. I can use voice services to lower my window, but why would I ? There are four easy to reach button on my left to do that. Heated seats, also have buttons for that.

To call someone on my contact list, ask for a song or ask for a navigation address. Yes very useful. But all the other stuff, I am not so sure.

I guess I could use Alexa in car to control my home services. Like close my garage door or change my alarm system status, or maybe set an appointment, but will Alexa in car do that or does it only allow access to control your car functions?
I believe it can but my household only has Echoes so not sure about other smart home devices like garage door opener, etc.

Back