CX-5 with carplay but no wireless carplay

The German forum reports that wireless AA (Android) is now working since a couple of days, albeit after downloading the latest AA software.
How do you download latest aa software? Is that an update to the car itself or to the android phone/tablet being connected ? Can you send me a link I’ll see if I can read with google translate.

This update is for your phone, at least here in Europe, check this link :

Can you please point me to the German forum you are mentioning? My issue is different I guess. In my Mazda while CarPlay is enabled, wireless CarPlay is not listed as a feature so I believe Mazda needs to enable it (if that’s possible) and it’s not a phone app issue. Still would be curious to see what the forums say.

Since wireless carplay basically works over bluetooth and wifi, im wondering if theres some way for me to get wireless carplay so far?
For the rescord Carplay does NOT work over Bluetooth. Your PHONE will connect to the car with BT but Carplay does not run like that. If it did you wouldn't be asking for wifi carplay.

Seems like AA is triggered via Bluetooth though. I know that if I turn wifi off on my phone, when I get into the car, the wifi turns back on and AA becomes active (this is in my CX-50).

For the rescord Carplay does NOT work over Bluetooth. Your PHONE will connect to the car with BT but Carplay does not run like that. If it did you wouldn't be asking for wifi carplay.
i dont think i said it works over bluetooth. I was saying it works over bluetooth and wifi. i dont know the exact protocols but from what i know it initiates the connection over bluetooth (i dontk now if thats first time only when setting up, or every time) but the actual data stream is over wifi. Bluetooth doesnt have the bandwidth to carry carplay im quite sute.

Also i dont think its "wifi carplay", its wireless. wifi would imply wifi only. wireless implies any number of wireless technologies including bluetooth and wifi.

As i was saying my cx5 actually has wifi, since there is a menu where i can connect it to my phone hotspot. which is why i was wondering if its possible to get wireless carplay since i have both bluetooth and wifi in the car. not sure if any other hardware is required or if its just a matter of software/licensing fees.

The way you wrote it made it sound like it will work over BT. NBD.
But it absolutely is "Wifi Car play". Car play ONLY works over Wifi. Specifically wifi. If your car does not have a Wifi antenna, you cannot have wireless Car play. This Wifi may not be full true Wifi where get data from it and can connect phones and laptops and you pay a fee for connectivity.
It can be there JUST for Carplay/Android Auto. But Wifi is required.
If you car has Wifi this does NOT automatically mean that AA/ACP will work wirelessly. It still has to be enabled by Mazda. There is no known hack to bypass this.
I believe the CX-50 and surely anything newer, does allow wireless AA/ACP?!?

BT is only involved as it can detect if your head unit has ACP (or AA) compatibility. Then the phone offers to do the pairing.

The way you wrote it made it sound like it will work over BT. NBD.
But it absolutely is "Wifi Car play". Car play ONLY works over Wifi. Specifically wifi. If your car does not have a Wifi antenna, you cannot have wireless Car play. This Wifi may not be full true Wifi where get data from it and can connect phones and laptops and you pay a fee for connectivity.
It can be there JUST for Carplay/Android Auto. But Wifi is required.
If you car has Wifi this does NOT automatically mean that AA/ACP will work wirelessly. It still has to be enabled by Mazda. There is no known hack to bypass this.
I believe the CX-50 and surely anything newer, does allow wireless AA/ACP?!?

BT is only involved as it can detect if your head unit has ACP (or AA) compatibility. Then the phone offers to do the pairing.

Thank you for the explanation. To me this is the most relevant part “If you car has Wifi this does NOT automatically mean that AA/ACP will work wirelessly. It still has to be enabled by Mazda. There is no known hack to bypass this. “

I thought since I have a wifi antenna maybe I can somehow bypass /hack this to enable wireless CarPlay but seems that’s not possible based on what’s you’re saying. So basically if I didn’t buy the trim that has wireless CarPlay there’s no way to enable it. I wish Mazda would allow a fee later to enable this but I haven’t seen that’s possible either.

Very strange, Frist time Mazda owner too (Carbon edition), so trying to navigate my way around this.
With my golf i managed to enable a few extras through a vag-com cable, so ordered a obd2 for the Mazda and will see if there's any options on there, I see Mazda has a separate menu you can access via the infotainment system, but have not had the chance to play around with it.
I know my trim level states android auto and wireless apple car play, in actual fact all trims have it here in South Africa along with the 8-inch display.
(not sure if you can open the below link)
It says i got wireless charging too, but not there either.

About three months ago I purchased a 2023 Carlinkit 4.0 Adapter on sale for half price on amazon and it has worked flawlessly in my 2020 CX-5 Signature.

I installed the Carsifi adapter a few months ago and it has worked well. Once in a while it does not connect automatically when the car is started, in which case I just disconnect/reconnect the adapter's USB cable to get it to connect.

I just got a new car and it has AA/ACP... still wired. And even after having experienced wireless in my MIL's Buick, which was absolutely cool... I still just don't see the big deal in using a wire. :D

I just got a new car and it has AA/ACP... still wired. And even after having experienced wireless in my MIL's Buick, which was absolutely cool... I still just don't see the big deal in using a wire. :D

Not gonna share what new car you purchased?

I'm with you on the wire. My RV has wired CarPlay and the wire is not an issue. It charges the phone while in use and the wire is tucked away, works great.

I'm with you on the wire. My RV has wired CarPlay and the wire is not an issue. It charges the phone while in use and the wire is tucked away, works great.
I used to feel the same as you gentleman until I got the MA1 dongle to run wireless AA in my MX-5. The main benefit I see is that the phone never leaves my pocket when entering the vehicle. I get in, sit down, start the car, the phone connects and AA starts running. It may seem trivial but it is a convenience you get used to very quickly.

As for charging, I bought a MagSafe phone case for my Samsung and a MagSafe charger and holder for my phone mount.

My wife loves the wireless ACP in her CX-50. She can put her purse in the front or back seat and go with no need to fumble for the phone and plug it in.

Now that I re-read that, just another fine example of how we* are getting lazier. :LOL:

*as a human race

I used to feel the same as you gentleman until I got the MA1 dongle to run wireless AA in my MX-5. The main benefit I see is that the phone never leaves my pocket when entering the vehicle. I get in, sit down, start the car, the phone connects and AA starts running. It may seem trivial but it is a convenience you get used to very quickly.

As for charging, I bought a MagSafe phone case for my Samsung and a MagSafe charger and holder for my phone mount.

My wife loves the wireless ACP in her CX-50. She can put her purse in the front or back seat and go with no need to fumble for the phone and plug it in.

Now that I re-read that, just another fine example of how we* are getting lazier. :LOL:

*as a human race

Frankly, I don't know how sitting in the car with a phone in your pocket can be comfortable. If I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts with all the extra pockets, that's one thing. But a regular pair of jeans? Phone in the front pocket? Phone in the back pocket? Forgetaboutit!

For me, the first thing that I do as I'm getting into a car, is pull the phone out of my pocket and I place the phone in the cubby (CX) or place it in the pocket attached via velcro to the trans hump (MX). It's not like I have a HUGE phone, iPhone 15 base model. I really don' t like having stuff in my pockets if I don't have to. Keys/fob, pocketknife, maybe some change, that's it.

Of course I am! :D Stay tuned.
I used to feel the same as you gentleman until I got the MA1 dongle to run wireless AA in my MX-5.
Like I said above though, I drove my mom's Buick for 2 weeks. (Sidenote I must be officially old now because...I kind of liked it. An Envision). It was super convenient that AA was just WHAM there every time as soon as I got in the car. You don't have to do anything. I 100% get that now.
BUT... it's just not that annoying, especially in my new car where cable is sitting right where my hand is going to be, to plug it in. Also, it's only been 3 days with new car, but I actually...GASP...kind of like the car's 'radio'. (They don't refer to it as Infotainment).

The main benefit I see is that the phone never leaves my pocket when entering the vehicle.
I read this assuming you're wearing a suit and you mean your suit pocket because yea, totes agree with Conrad:

Frankly, I don't know how sitting in the car with a phone in your pocket can be comfortable.
But I get it for the ladies with purses.
I really don' t like having stuff in my pockets if I don't have to. Keys/fob, pocketknife, maybe some change, that's it.
Preach! :D

Last edited:

Back