CX-50 A/C Issues

CTt3P5

TAD
Contributor
:
2016 GT ST 47A
I did not see a thread here regarding any A/C issue so thought I'd start one. Our 50 has been at the dealer since last Thursday night when we dropped it off to have the A/C checked. My wife turned it on for the first time on May 12th and it was blowing warm air after 10 minutes of driving. I was set to call the dealer on the morning of the 15th when she texted me saying that it was working fine. That night, she told me that after about five minutes of running fine it started blowing hot air again. I called the dealer the next day and made the appointment to have it checked out.

We got a call late Friday afternoon stating that they flushed the system which worked initially but after several minutes it would start blowing warm air again. They offered us a CX-5 as a loaner as they said due to it being a newer model they wanted their senior tech. to diagnose it and he was out until Monday (today) and suspected a faulty condenser. They called before lunch saying that after a consult with Mazda it was determined that the A/C high pressure is faulty. It is on order but is three days out so she will be driving the CX-5 for the rest of the week.

Time for an update. First off, they called my wife last Thursday to say they made an error and the part was five days out and they should have it by Tuesday, so much for hoping to pick it up last Friday. This morning she got a phone call that the part arrived yesterday, was installed and it did not fix the issue. After another consult with Mazda, they were advised to flush the system again which my wife pointed out that was the first thing completed which did not work. I am thinking another flush should have been part of replacing the high pressure switch? When I asked her what they said the next step would be if that didn't work and her response floored me....silence with a "I don't know, this is a new vehicle and our techs are not that familiar with them." I was dumbfounded, ok I understand the new vehicle part but A/C systems have been around quite a while and I am sure that the CX-50 shares many if not all components with the CX-5 and/or other models. So I would think that there is some kind of diagnosis procedure in place, new vehicle or not?!

I have my fingers crossed that they call this afternoon saying that the flush worked and we can pick the vehicle up.

So it appears we have a fix! :) And no, it was not from the flush. The service advisor called my wife saying the flush did not work, as I expected, so he went ahead and had the high pressure line removed. To his and our surprise, he found the line was not bored out?!:eek: He took some pics and I am going to ask to see this in person. A new line is local and they should have it tomorrow morning so we are hopeful that we can pick the vehicle up tomorrow night after work.

@mamiamjo Yes it is and my wife is afraid that they may have mucked something up while they were under the hood fiddling around with her baby. haha I told her to relax, we still have the warranty and if this issue pops up again or others, we can always turn the keys in, in 30 months and walk away.

Thanks for checking in @mamiamjo. We got the call to pick the CX-50 up just before lunch today. My wife wasted no time in getting there as she wanted her baby back. Lol. The A/C is blowing nice and cold now. We didn't think to check the A/C in February when we signed the paperwork, we just assumed it would work when needed.🤪

While inconvenienced, I have to say that I am happy with how the dealer communicated with us throughout the process.

Here is pic of the 'blocked' line looking in from the high pressure switch. No wonder it was not working!

IMG_4638.jpg

Back