CX-5 Window tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're in America you're gonna get pulled over with 20% on the fronts. There are like 2 states where 20% is legal.

Most states allow 35%.
The number refers to how much light it lets through, so the lower number the darker the tint.

Here's this:

I have yet to get pulled over for it (knock on wood) and I have a white CX-5. Talk about contrast between the windows and the paint!

Since the front are already somewhat tinted, how hard is it for a good shop to add tint to match the back? Or will they say "we'll try to match but can't guarantee it"

Its not. Don't buy the cheapest tint you can find, pay for the high quality tint film. Once the 20%tint is on and cured, you'll never notice a difference between factory and what you added.

Btw, I did mine at 35% front because I commute home at midnight and when it rains, its hard to see out the sides with 20%.

It looks great but you can always tell its lighter in the fronts

The factory tint meters at 25% but the number of manufacturers that produce that shade is less than others. Mine has LLumar CTX 25 and looks no different from the factory tint. I also installed LLUmar AIR80 on the windshield to keep the dash from getting sunbaked.

It seems like some states don't enforce tint laws at all. I'm in California and every vehicle I've owned since the mid-80's has had tinted windows. In all that time I've received just one fix-it ticket for tinted windows. The officer actually pulled me over for something else but when that didn't pan out he opted for the tint instead. Waste of his time actually, I know several LEOs and the ticket was signed off without correction. The police here are known to use your tint as probable cause for a reason to pull you over if they suspect you of something else, but they have better things to do and don't pull people over for that alone.

The factory tint meters at 25% but the number of manufacturers that produce that shade is less than others. Mine has LLumar CTX 25 and looks no different from the factory tint. I also installed LLUmar AIR80 on the windshield to keep the dash from getting sunbaked.

It seems like some states don't enforce tint laws at all. I'm in California and every vehicle I've owned since the mid-80's has had tinted windows. In all that time I've received just one fix-it ticket for tinted windows. The officer actually pulled me over for something else but when that didn't pan out he opted for the tint instead. Waste of his time actually, I know several LEOs and the ticket was signed off without correction. The police here are known to use your tint as probable cause for a reason to pull you over if they suspect you of something else, but they have better things to do and don't pull people over for that alone.
Did you install it yourself using one of those computer-cut kits?

If you're in America you're gonna get pulled over with 20% on the fronts. There are like 2 states where 20% is legal.

Most states allow 35%.
The number refers to how much light it lets through, so the lower number the darker the tint.

Here's this:

This. Some people can get away with it just fine, but it's probably easier to just avoid the hassle altogether.

I would absolutely recommend tinting the windows on any car. Helps to keep in-cabin temps lower, provides some UV protection for the interior surfaces, and makes it harder for thieves to see what's inside.

Get some llumar AIR80 for the windshield too :)
My tint guy talked me into a light tint on the windshield and it SUCKED. Basically, wearing polarized sunglasses = blind.
I ended up paying an arm and a baby's leg to have it removed. Tint is like tattoos like that, it's much more painful to get rid of than to put on.

My tint guy talked me into a light tint on the windshield and it SUCKED. Basically, wearing polarized sunglasses = blind.
I ended up paying an arm and a baby's leg to have it removed. Tint is like tattoos like that, it's much more painful to get rid of than to put on.
It should help prevent cracks from rocks, shouldn't it?

The tint is applied to the inside, so not really. It just tripped my sunglasses out so much that I couldn't wear them, so the tint did the exact opposite of what I wanted and made me squint more.

Weird, but I think I know what you mean. I have noticed the effect on side windows.

It might cut down on the heat, but is it legal? Maybe in some states, maybe not.

just chiming in .. tint percentage doesn't tell the whole story for how a product does or doesn't perform. Using a high quality film manufacture AND choosing the correct TYPE are important.

I might suggest a ceramic type of tint for best performance. You can often get a less dark tint and higher performance out of a ceramic type tint (as seen by the llumar AIR80 link).

Window tint adds security so I guess it is a good idea.
Too dark on the fronts and it becomes a hazard. And it's not simply a matter of you seeing out. There are plenty of situations where I want to see the other driver looking my direction so I can be sure they know I'm there. I've had too many people pull out in front of me that would have caused an accident if I hadn't been wary of their inattention and starting slowing beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back