CX-5 Towing (2014 2.5)

Hello! I know the CX-5 rating is at 2,000 lbs... but looking to borrow a camping trailer that hits that towing limit, so may go over some with some gear and such.... BUT I will only be going a shorter distance (40 miles) not on major highways. Has anyone ever done anything like this or gone over towing limit slightly?

I think you will find your same vehicle rated at 2,000 lbs towing in USA is rated around double that in Europe. FWIW.

Your biggest concern will be vehicle control and being able to stop should the need arise. I'm gonna guess you are not equipped with a brake controller (even if the trailer has brakes) if so, your car brakes will be stopping around 160% of the weight of what it usually does. Also, some state laws specify maximum unbraked trailer weight of 50% of the tow vehicle.

You just have to weigh the risks of what you are working with and your abilities.

I think you will find your same vehicle rated at 2,000 lbs towing in USA is rated around double that in Europe. FWIW.
That's because the European vehicles have different engine and transmission options.

Just to be on the safe side you may want to consider a transmission cooler.

I don't know if that's even possible. I looked on mine, didn't see a way to do it.

The un-braked rating of the 2nd gen in the US is 1000 lbs. 2000 with brakes. I'd be surprised if that isn't also true for the 1st gen.

This is somewhat unrelated, but, where exactly do you connect to tow? My CX-5 has nothing on the back, did you install an aftermarket piece or did it come already with it?

This is somewhat unrelated, but, where exactly do you connect to tow? My CX-5 has nothing on the back, did you install an aftermarket piece or did it come already with it?
Most vehicles(except trucks) do not come with hitches.

You need to buy a hitch and install it. Etrailer has great deals(and it's a curt hitch labeled as etrailer.)

or

go to uhaul for a hitch install(uhaul has both curt and drawtite...get the curt)

It will tow substantially more then 2000 pounds with trailer brakes. Based on my experience, I would not tow more then 1000 pounds without trailer brakes. I never go faster then 65 MPH towing and I am careful, gentle slow towing anything.

Weigh the trailer as loaded to be sure that well over 10% of the trailer's weight is on the tongue. When my RV is loaded with 14% on the tongue, it is steady and smooth.

If you aren't willing to do all the stuff to be safe, don't tow.

Back