2013~2016 CX-5 sunroof not working - need help

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi everyone, I have this problem with my 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT's sunroof. It stopped working over a year ago and I've been trying to fix it. I can tilt the sunroof open but it won't close after it's been opened, I have to manually close it. I took it to my mechanic and they said it may be the motor; I ordered one off eBay and swapped it out but nothing happened. About 2 years ago I took the car through a touchless car-wash and the sunroof hasn't been normal since then (it was closed when going through the car wash but not sure if this caused the problem).

Has anyone has heard of this issue before? Could it be a switch or fuse problem? Thanks!

I think there's some kind of reset procedure but I'm not sure what it is. I remember when I had my Maxima there were some people on the Nissan boards that would complain about the sunroof stopping and somebody would always suggest doing the reset.
Might be worth googling to see if you can find anything. If not you can always call the dealer.

The following is for a 2018.

Power Moonroof Re-set Procedure

If the battery is disconnected, the moonroof will not operate. The moonroof will not operate correctly until it is re-set.

Carry out the following procedure to reset the moonroof and resume operation:

1. Switch the ignition ON.

2. Press the tilt switch, to partially tilt open the rear of the moonroof.

3. Repeat Step 2. The rear of the moonroof tilts open to the fully open position, then closes a little.

NOTE
If the re-set procedure is performed while the moonroof is in the slide position (partially open) it closes before the rear tilts opens.
Sunshade
The sunshade can be opened and closed by hand.
The sunshade opens automatically when the moonroof is opened, but must be closed by hand.

index.5.jpg

CAUTION

● The sunshade does not tilt. To avoid damaging the sunshade, do not push up on it.

● Do not close the sunshade while the moonroof is opening. Trying to force the sunshade closed could damage it.

The following is for a 2018.

Power Moonroof Re-set Procedure

If the battery is disconnected, the moonroof will not operate. The moonroof will not operate correctly until it is re-set.

Carry out the following procedure to reset the moonroof and resume operation:

1. Switch the ignition ON.

2. Press the tilt switch, to partially tilt open the rear of the moonroof.

3. Repeat Step 2. The rear of the moonroof tilts open to the fully open position, then closes a little.

NOTE
If the re-set procedure is performed while the moonroof is in the slide position (partially open) it closes before the rear tilts opens.
Sunshade
The sunshade can be opened and closed by hand.
The sunshade opens automatically when the moonroof is opened, but must be closed by hand.

index.5.jpg

CAUTION

● The sunshade does not tilt. To avoid damaging the sunshade, do not push up on it.

● Do not close the sunshade while the moonroof is opening. Trying to force the sunshade closed could damage it.

Thank you, I'll try this out and report back if it starts working again.

I think there's some kind of reset procedure but I'm not sure what it is. I remember when I had my Maxima there were some people on the Nissan boards that would complain about the sunroof stopping and somebody would always suggest doing the reset.
Might be worth googling to see if you can find anything. If not you can always call the dealer.
I've done the reset procedure. Even after doing that several times the sunroof goes back to being stuck open. Even after several attempts. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a 2014 CX-5 and this just happened to me. I manually closed the moonroof/ sunroof with an allen key but can't figure out what the issue is. Fuses are good, will have to test the switch.

I have a 2014 CX-5 and this just happened to me. I manually closed the moonroof/ sunroof with an allen key but can't figure out what the issue is. Fuses are good, will have to test the switch.
Have you tried moonroof reset procedure mentioned in post #4?

When you hit the button, what did you hear?
Motor running or not?

I am not sure if Mazda uses cables in the sunroof.
My my old BMW, the cables snapped twice under warranty.
The service advisor told me to use it less.... :(

Reset didn't work. Motor makes zero sound or movement. The switch has felt loose over time and a few times the sun roof didn't respond until one day it wouldn't close. I manually closed it with the allen key, swapped fuses around with no luck. Any idea how to test switch vs motor?

Update. I saw a Youtube video that somebody posted about a small piece of black plastic that had broken off into their sunroof switch. They discovered it after dismantling their roof console, removed it and it worked. My switch turned out to be broken/ dead. Maybe there was a little piece of plastic inside it, couldn't really see. The switch housing is glued together and you have to basically destroy it to look inside. I bought a replacement used sunroof console on ebay and this took care of my issue. Note: you have to buy the whole console with the lights, sunglass drawer and phone mic just to fix the sunroof switch. Good news is that the Cx-5 shares parts with Mazda 6 and Mazda 3 so I was able to find a fairly affordable one for $55. Other note: To test your motor, cut a small piece of wire and strip the ends. Insert one end into the sunroof switch harness (A or D side) while the key is in accessory mode. Insert the other end into each slot until the sunroof does something. If nothing moves, your motor or motor relay might be dead.

Update. I saw a Youtube video that somebody posted about a small piece of black plastic that had broken off into their sunroof switch. They discovered it after dismantling their roof console, removed it and it worked. My switch turned out to be broken/ dead. Maybe there was a little piece of plastic inside it, couldn't really see. The switch housing is glued together and you have to basically destroy it to look inside. I bought a replacement used sunroof console on ebay and this took care of my issue. Note: you have to buy the whole console with the lights, sunglass drawer and phone mic just to fix the sunroof switch. Good news is that the Cx-5 shares parts with Mazda 6 and Mazda 3 so I was able to find a fairly affordable one for $55. Other note: To test your motor, cut a small piece of wire and strip the ends. Insert one end into the sunroof switch harness (A or D side) while the key is in accessory mode. Insert the other end into each slot until the sunroof does something. If nothing moves, your motor or motor relay might be dead.
Glad you’ve got the problem resolved and thanks for the update!

Have you been using the sunroof a lot?

Not sure why you have to replace the whole console instead of just the broken sunroof switch. A picture or two about the switch and wiring you described would be great!

Latest posts

Back