CX-5 SD card update problem

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
2021 CX5. Using the mazda SD card in my GTR for several hundred miles and decided to get the update. Mazda tool box installed and opened. Says install the SD card and nothing happens. Retired several times to no avail. I question the item number 1 which stated that the nav vehicle system must be on or something similar. What I'm I doing incorrectly? Help Ed

Mine is the exact same way....works fine, but Mazda Toolbox will not recognize my SD card, nothing happens when I insert the card into my PC, therefore cannot update maps. Still have not found any info on this, Navkings (whom I purchased from on Ebay) will not answer my inquiries.

Afraid we are stuck with a single version map with no updates.....

I get it that the Toolbox doesn't recognize the SD card but does your computer?

With the card inserted in your computer's card reader can you open Windows Explorer and 'see' the files on the card? If your computer can't 'see' the card then there's no way that the Toolbox can see it either.

It's possible that your computer's card reader has dirty/oxidized contacts, especially if it's seen little or no use. You'll have to get some contact cleaner to rectify this.

My computer can read the SD files but, the Mazda toolbox will not update. I finally gave up.

When you bought your card from Nav_Kings, did you have to give them your VIN? They asked for mine, related to some kind of registration process.

I haven't had a chance to try my card in Mazda Toolbox or my PC card reader. Wondering if the VIN request from Nav_Kings has anything to do with this.

I'll try to use Mazda Toolbox tonight and report back.

I will try to check that cx5_driver

Disable ALL antivirus / malware protection

-- use the RIGHT-CLICK run-as Administrator method for the toolbox .

Hold down the “Shift” key on your keyboard, then right-click the icon for the program you would like to launch. This only works on application launch files (EXE) or shortcuts to application launch files.

also a remote possibility is old code in the Mazda toolbox... but since others haven't chimed in this is a VERY remote idea:

I ran the paid version of McAfee antivirus plus Malwarebyts and nothing was found. When I open the TOOL BOX it goues through an update check and loads the latest version.

I don't understand why opening the toolbox as the administrator would help, since when I open it normally, it updates itself.

I don't understand why opening the toolbox as the administrator would help, since when I open it normally, it updates itself.

Just a troubleshooting step, not a magical solution. Yes the application opens, but you indicated it would not see the SD card. Sometimes applications are doing a "raw access" or "privileged access" to things on the system.. opening the application as administrator removes any potential problems behind the scenes (no error message). If you tried it both ways and got the same result - this was not the problem.

Sorry for the confusion on my suggestion for antivirus and malware protection programs. You should DISABLE them prior and during using the Mazda toolbox application. Again sometimes the special methods that these types of programs use to access system parts (SD card) "looks" like suspicious behavior to the protection programs and they (antivirus / malware programs) block it without a message or error. Again just trying to help troubleshoot -- not a guaranteed solution.

Oh and we saw another poster talk about a small burr on the SD card.. I would flip that lock/unlock a few times to ensure proper disengagement (you want it unlocked).

I'm using win 10 on my PC, with native antivirus software. I do not disable A/V when I used the Toobox to update my Nav cards. No problemo.

When I purchased a Nav card for my MX, which works perfectly, from Amazon I did not have to provide my VIN to the seller.

Looks like the SD card for my 2021 bought from Nav_Kings on eBay has the same issue as everyone else. I can read the card with Windows Explorer, but when I insert the card with Mazda Toolbox running nothing happens. Tried all the tips suggested above.

Can the two of you post pictures of both sides of the sdcard?
Also I would be curious to see/compare the CID of each card
...but for Windows probably needs a cid reader app.

Last edited:
Here you go. The back of the card has a serial number that is very hard to photograph clearly, but it reads BM1830351518G.

2021020500225541--1675519423275666707-IMG_5914_heic.jpg

2021020500225541-7291855009999531109-IMG_5915_heic.jpg

strange ... it has both the CE logo which is used in EU and the FCC logo which is used in US.

Here is a link that I found from a dealer website. Seems different card front.

20210204_225305.jpg

What I find strange are the FCC and CE logos. I havent seen those logos on Mazda sdcards before + the seller is quite well hidden. Website with hidden owner hosted on Wordpress, no company name, no adress, no phone, no email on website. Except an ebay account and 2 reports so far that the cards cannot update.
Not sure what to make out of this.

Back