CX-5 in Yokohama Tire commercial!

Freedom55

2020 CX-5 GS AWD Montreal Canada
This video from Yokohama Canada is on TV and shows both a CX-5 and a Forester (debadged). Two vehicles that perform well in Winter! The lower trims CX-5 have been using Yoko OEM tires for a while and not sure about the current Forester but back then they were. I don't know if this has anything to do with their choice of vehicles...

i had yokohama iceguards as winter tires on my '15 accord and then '13 es 350 (same wheels and tires). they weren't especially good in the snow, and they only lasted two seasons.:confused:

i had yokohama iceguards as winter tires on my '15 accord and then '13 es 350 (same wheels and tires). they weren't especially good in the snow, and they only lasted two seasons.:confused:
I've never had Yoko Winter tires but I've had their aftermarket all season way back (Avid TRZ and Avid V4s); much better than their Geolandar G91 I have on my CX-5. The G91 are noisy at any speed and they flat spot even above freezing temperatures.

As for Winter tires, for the past 20 years or so, I've had Nokian Hakka 1 & Hakka 2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 & DM-V1 and now Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV; all great tires but I find my current Michelin are the best compromise for snow, ice, dry and wet conditions and they are quieter than the G91, go figure! The Nokian were noisy and the Blizzak were a bit mushy on clear pavement.

Last edited:
Dayyum, I just looked at the TireRack page for the Yoko Geolanders. They don't have a TireRack test for them, but the consumer ratings (scroll down the page) are abysmal! 1.8 out of 10, overall!

What's even worse is that they cost between $250-300 PER TIRE. Wowzah.
Yep! In 2004 I tried a new Forester with the older OEM Geolandar G900. They were squealing at the slightest turn. The grip seems to have improved over the years but it's still not a top quality tire. Then again, most OEM tires are average at best except on high end vehicles. I see Firestone, Falken, Nexen and Kumho on many vehicles. I would prefer to see Michelin, Pirelli and Continental given a choice!

Last edited:
I've never had Yoko Winter tires but I've had their aftermarket all season way back (Avid TRZ and Avid V4s); much better than their Geolandar G91 I have on my CX-5. The G91 are noisy at any speed and they flat spot even above freezing temperatures.

As for Winter tires, for the past 20 years or so, I've had Nokian Hakka 1 & Hakka 2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 & DM-V1 and now Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV; all great tires but I find my current Michelin are the best compromise for snow, ice, dry and wet conditions and they are quieter than the G91, go figure! The Nokian were noisy and the Blizzak were a bit mushy on clear pavement.
I had Yoko Avid Tourings (the original ones) on my 98 Maxima and that car was a tank in the snow with them and rode very smoothly. I heard the newer Geolandars I believe g058 are better than the G91, but could be mixing up numbers. I had Firestone winterforce tires on my VWs and they worked well, at least for the first year or so.

Dayyum, I just looked at the TireRack page for the Yoko Geolanders. They don't have a TireRack test for them, but the consumer ratings (scroll down the page) are abysmal! 1.8 out of 10, overall!

What's even worse is that they cost between $250-300 PER TIRE. Wowzah.
Oh, they were poor tires. The final straw was them beating me up so bad on rough sections of interstate. I read somewhere that they were light truck tires with stiff sidewalls ( don't know about that -- but as a side note , I avoid any XL (extra load) or LT (light truck) rated tire because concern of extra stiff sidewalls inducing harsh ride. The Pirelli's are SL -standard load). Measured the tread depth and discovered that 2/32's were worn off the front tires and 1/32 off the rear tires. This was at just under 3000 miles at which point they were replaced by the RT43's. The shameful thing is that approximately 1200 of those 3000 miles was interstate driving which is easier on tires from a wear standpoint. Amazing.

Last edited:

I had Blizzak WS-80's on my '12 Mazda3 and WS-90's on my '20 CX-5 (and just purchased WS-90's for my current '22 CX-5). I do not recall feeling any mushiness on dry pavement on either tire. Perhaps the recent tires reduced the mushiness?

I had Blizzak WS-80's on my '12 Mazda3 and WS-90's on my '20 CX-5 (and just purchased WS-90's for my current '22 CX-5). I do not recall feeling any mushiness on dry pavement on either tire. Perhaps the recent tires reduced the mushiness?
You're probably right. I wanted WS90 when I bought my CX-5 but my dealer didn't have them. They had BF Goodrich and Uniroyal if my memory serves me right but they are not top rated. Yoko IG seems more of an ice tire like the original Blizzak than ice & snow like current Blizzak and X-Ice Snow.

Back