CX-5 heater core issues discussed on another Mazda forum

:
2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD
I know some of are aware of (and post on) the mazdaforum website, but have you noticed any problems discussed there in more detail than here. I was just perusing over there and get the drift that the cx-5 heater core is maybe more of an issue than what's been discussed here. Sure there will be different member experiences (and members),but still. I don't monitor the threads here religiously but remember the heater core issue being discussed here a long time ago and not much of a recent problem. Anybody care to add their thoughts.

*** MODS*** Please move this to GENERAL if desired. I just noticed this is ENGINE&GEARBOX. THX.

Moved to General forum as suggested.

Is this issue specific to the Gen1? Or does it also happen to Gen2s?

2013-2017 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3 KE ****** 921726 (produced before Dec 21, 2016)

Heater core swap thread

MC-10120384-9999-page-001.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-002.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-003.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-004.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-005.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-006.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-007.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-008.jpg

MC-10120384-9999-page-009.jpg

Attachments

• MC-10120384-9999.pdf
    781 KB · Views: 126
P011A victim here too.. mom's car but seeking advise.

2015 Mazda CX-5 inside the VIN range. Repair costs ran the gamut from $1,500 to $3,000 to my mechanic wouldn't even touch the repair. Despite the age it's low mileage about 55K, retired owner, trips are limited. It's still like new except for this issue. The TSB version I have is 12 pages but reads similar to above.

Strangely after about 2 weeks the dashboard alert since cleared. I don't know if that is normal or sensor cleared. I'm concerned that the problem is still there or just roll of the dice any day ahead.

Can I bandaid this off any with a radiator flush and replace with the new Mazda coolant formulation or is this ship sunk? TSB notes chemistry was altered to increase anti-rust additive.

I've seen a similar posting here regarding a CX-9. Given the nature of a call to dealer service, this sounded a bit more common and so much admit the design flaw. It reads like for others in those affected it just escaped the limit of standard warranty.

Poor heater performance not found but the warning code appearance as reported by one diagnostic at shop that revealed the P011A code raised concerns and narratives found on this issue is much broader across Mazda owners in that range of Models/VINs posted in the TSB.

If flush doesn’t work and heater core does need to be replaced then around $600 for part

TSB says around 5 hours of labor … I don’t know what Mazda shop rate is but likely at least $150/hour

It should be closer to the low end $1500 price.. if dealer is far above that I’d go independent shop

If flush doesn’t work and heater core does need to be replaced then around $600 for part

TSB says around 5 hours of labor … I don’t know what Mazda shop rate is but likely at least $150/hour

It should be closer to the low end $1500 price.. if dealer is far above that I’d go independent shop
Thanks for the feedback and reference. Mazda shop was the better on that of what I have with some insider encouragement to pursue loyalty assistance, indep shop was 9 hours labor. I'm guessing that despite the check light and info alert since disappeared that code may reappear any day as if on the edge of failure. I wasn't engaged with where this went to indep shop to read the alert code as there could be sensor failure, other items on that TSB flowchart. Heater isn't needed for the summer and it still sends heat despite. Will keep a flush as option with the fortified Mazda coolant as possible life extender. Didn't sound trivial to replace the part.

P011A victim here too.. mom's car but seeking advise.

2015 Mazda CX-5 inside the VIN range. Repair costs ran the gamut from $1,500 to $3,000 to my mechanic wouldn't even touch the repair. Despite the age it's low mileage about 55K, retired owner, trips are limited. It's still like new except for this issue. The TSB version I have is 12 pages but reads similar to above.

Strangely after about 2 weeks the dashboard alert since cleared. I don't know if that is normal or sensor cleared. I'm concerned that the problem is still there or just roll of the dice any day ahead.

Can I bandaid this off any with a radiator flush and replace with the new Mazda coolant formulation or is this ship sunk? TSB notes chemistry was altered to increase anti-rust additive.

I've seen a similar posting here regarding a CX-9. Given the nature of a call to dealer service, this sounded a bit more common and so much admit the design flaw. It reads like for others in those affected it just escaped the limit of standard warranty.

Poor heater performance not found but the warning code appearance as reported by one diagnostic at shop that revealed the P011A code raised concerns and narratives found on this issue is much broader across Mazda owners in that range of Models/VINs posted in the TSB.
Yes replacing the heater core on CX-5 isn’t an easy job. If you plan to keep your 2015 CX-5 with 55K miles for a few more years, you may just start to save some money aside for the job, or you can plan to DIY to save huge labor cost for yourself. If I were you I’d do the coolant flush first with fresh Mazda FL-22 coolant as your coolant is due for replacement right now. For Mazda CX-5 the first coolant replacement interval is 120K miles or 10 years whichever comes first, and 60K miles of 5 years thereafter. And yes Mazda had changed the formulation on its OEM FL-22 coolant to prevent rust issue, and your current factory FL-22 may still have old formulation.

When the P011A code keeps on in later date of the heating performance has degraded greatly, it’s time to replace the heater core.

Of course another alternative is to plan to sell or trade in your 2015 CX-5 while you still can without P011A error code to hurt the resale value.

Yes replacing the heater core on CX-5 isn’t an easy job. If you plan to keep your 2015 CX-5 with 55K miles for a few more years, you may just start to save some money aside for the job, or you can plan to DIY to save huge labor cost for yourself. If I were you I’d do the coolant flush first with fresh Mazda FL-22 coolant as your coolant is due for replacement right now. For Mazda CX-5 the first coolant replacement interval is 120K miles or 10 years whichever comes first, and 60K miles of 5 years thereafter. And yes Mazda had changed the formulation on its OEM FL-22 coolant to prevent rust issue, and your current factory FL-22 may still have old formulation.

When the P011A code keeps on in later date of the heating performance has degraded greatly, it’s time to replace the heater core.

Of course another alternative is to plan to sell or trade in your 2015 CX-5 while you still can without P011A error code to hurt the resale value.
I'm looking at the latter alternative. The parent (owner) was hoping this was the last car before hanging up the keys but a few more drives are ahead yet. Sanity check for me on the feedback as I feel I can at least diy the coolant flush/replace with the new formula and maybe take observation of anything unusual in that eyes on effort. Indeed, I'm sure it's the original fluid. I've done various small repairs but anytime I see these tech hours I triple my time as I assume that's someone with training and skills far more advanced. I will not attempt to tackle a heater core replacement. Maybe this will take it a bit further and time to consider options to repair/replace.

I had a friendly conversation with a Mazda dealership about the matter and my sense from that chat was a familiar to common issue within the TSB range. But this didn't seem to rise to a factory recall. I've had non-safety related recalls in the past from other make out of warranty.

At the time of purchase I advised away from second choice Subaru during and about that year there were notorious reports of oil pressure/consumption failures and a run of faulty engines. Mazda definitely had a noticeable confident feel for the driver that seemed unlike any other test drive among other positive attributes and details that were ahead of others for the same class of vehicle and value. All positives on those counts.

If you decide to undertake heater core replacement be prepared to perform a refrigerant recovery and charge system after reinstalling everything.

Seeing how invasive this swap is I guess I’m glad I’ve done a couple coolant services at this point and didn’t rely on the long life service intervals. Nothing certain though I won’t have a failure of heater core or radiator in the future though.

I'm advisory to the owner (mom), thanks all for the feedback here. I hadn't really paid attention to the vehicle she typically had just the normal dealer service plan. In hindsight this coolant/heater core failure issue should have been something raised as more proactive service engagement once it was revealed by Mazda per TSB with the kind of frequency I'm finding if there was anyway to prolong or prevent what may be inevitable with part replacement. I did get feedback from another dealership to press the matter with Mazda support, for any goodwill on that count in my research.

I'm told the warning lamp is intermittent and I capture there is some cycle of so many engine starts that may lead to clear the dashboard warning lamp if the sensors are good. I do have a friends borrowed ODB tool which did reveal the code confirming what was charged $200 to just read the code when I alerted to get it checked as it was more than just a maintenance reminder to change the oil or low washer fluid, it meant something more serious. The tech package may have been overkill to get to the town grocery store or church on Sundays, with respect to any collateral damage on all the electronics in the dash.

Strategy ahead near-term is to go ahead and schedule the coolant flush/replace with the new F22 formula if not too late but agree that could be a lost cause with any future return of the code or the service advisor recommends against it, to outright replace the heater core.

I'm not DIY on any of that seen here. I've done very limited dashboard removals to get at instrument lamps replaced and chase out the mouse that built a home inside the squirrel cage fan of the Honda Pilot HVAC (common). Or even some of the budget but talented shortcut hacks I've seen in the web videos, I'd never get those snaps put back or risk breaking those plastic trim pieces. My trusted mechanic didn't want to touch it and I got the feeling that this was something independent shops don't want to do and price accordingly, I have lower estimates directly from Mazda dealer service in the area. My past experience with cars of trouble was with VW endless laundry list of parts failing darn near rebuilt the car including the transmission failure and had to be shipped in from Germany under powertrain warranty. Individual components are not replaced anymore, labor costs outweigh entire component replacement instead. With the last fix in that car, I sold it quickly before the next ailment arrived, that may come to this by my advise.

This thread has gotten to be lengthy and I may have missed it, but has there been any actual blockage (poor heating performance) or leakage (interior) noted or is this all predicated on trouble codes from sensors which could be giving false readings.

P011A trouble code only. 2015 CX-5 original coolant, advised here to get the coolant flush/replace with the new F22 formula. There's heat coming from the core but I've read that one side could be hot the other not I haven't looked at that close. My interrogation is with the first shop report (not Mazda service) went straight to the heater core replace without any report back that I know of to follow the guided tshoot steps that may be false read - per the revised TSB I downloaded. No leaks. The check engine lamp seems to be intermittent on for a few days then disappears.. "Engine Inspection Required" in the right most info dash gauge... then another week goes by and comes back. Pardon my poor humor but I hate dumb warnings like that, I opened the hood and the engine is still there!! Not my car but I'm related to the owner to help. We will get the coolant replaced as it is due by dealer service instead of the shop where the P011A that first diagnosed the Engine Inspection Required, I don't know if they opened the hood to look. Having said that the TSB explicitly includes the VIN of this vehicle. I would think the problem to rise to a TSB carries some concern that a fair percentage of the builds are susceptible to the loss of the heater core. I've never run into a problem with a heater core failure, this is new to me.

I've since borrowed co-workers ODB reader if I can figure out how to get to the sensor readings out of that device to match the TSB temp chart and certainly can raise with service tech to check the sensors haven't failed. If that doesn't work, then sure we're in it for the entire replacement assembly by Mazda service. I'm doing whatever I can to try to navigate around that impending repair. Short of finding a shop that has deeper expertise with Mazda willing to take the shortcut routes seen to surgically replace the core only and not that entire assembly with full dash removal. I get it, it's not so much the part itself, it's all the gymnastics involved to get at the core, removed, replaced and recharge all the fluids. The related owner is cross-town I'm a little remote to visit to check on it as best I can. When you help your family be prepared to get punished for it.

Can probably rest this for now will be out of town but I'll try to report back any further action and results.

Check out this video. The guy said it took him about 1-1/2 hours and ~$60 for aftermarket heater core. Did it without removing the whole dash. After viewing the ease of disassembly it makes you want to cringe at the dealer (or elsewhere) prices. I like his scanner used to check inlet and outlet temperatures ( I think they're about ~$140). There's another video or two on youtube also regarding replacement. Still hope mine never needs changing though. posted for your edification.:)

Back