2013~2016 CX-5 GT Front suspension noise troubleshooting

Hi- Have a 2016 CX-5 GT with 104,000 miles. Needed brakes and decided I was going to keep the car a while so replaced brakes and suspension- Parts replaced included Brake Pads Front , Plate Disc rotor, Strut - Passenger Side (LH), Strut - Driver's Side (LH), Strut Bumper, Bearing Front Strut, Lower Seat. Might of been a couple additional plastic pieces added when I picked up parts from Mazdapartsconnect.com

Had work done at my local shop- Very good independent does brakes, suspension, and lots of tires. All works well except when I turn in driveway, stop and turn at intersections, etc. I hear a slight thump or tap. If I go down my street at 15-18 mph and steer across to other side of road and steer back I hear then slight thump or tap. I would say this was a 2016.5 model. I've looked underneath on jack and thought it might be the bellows over the strut, not it. I had the shop look at it, they agree they hear the noise but have not been able to diagnose. I had brake vibration before we started this brake/suspension work but never headr this thump or tap. Looked through the TSB's. Any help or guidance would be appreciated on what to look at next? Thanks.

Check your Lower control arm n ball joints.

Last edited:
Were the stabilizer bar end links replaced when replacing the struts. They attach to the struts and get the same road shock as the struts and can't imagine them not being worn at that mileage. One of the first places I'd look to be making noise. And do view the above post by felixd. He knows the CX-5 and has made various good contributions.

Still have this problem. Recently had my local shop go back pull struts and also change the strut mount (top piece), strut bearing, and strut dust covers. As mentioned previsously suspension works well except when I turn in driveway, stop and turn at intersections, etc. I hear a slight thump or tap. Using all OEM parts

If I go down my street at 15 mph and turn right to from noon to 4 O'clock position I hear a slight thump. Then when I stear back pass 12 O'clock turn left to 9 O'clock across I hear then slight thump or tap. Wheel bearings tight, yes we did do the stabilizer connecting links.

Thoughts on what to do next? Thanks

Back