CX-5 Fuel economy and range all over the place

I had a chevy cruze prior to this. Great mpg but the miles starting getting high and along came the issues so I sold it. It was a 2013 with a auto 6 spd. Jump forward 10 years to this 2023 cx5 and it has a 6 spd while others are 7/8/9 speeds. Gearing and a transmission for mpg would help. My wife has a 23' Tucson and gets better mpg. Any guess why?
From my experience if your brand new CX-5 out of the dealership is getting poor gas mileage than others with the same model, it’ll be like that way almost forever. My theory is each and the same engine and drivetrain will be built a bit different with thousands of parts. Some will be more efficient and some will be less. The engine and the drivetrain of your new CX-5 unfortunately is on the less efficient side hence it comes with poorer fuel economy. My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with a 2.5L NA unfortunately is also on the less efficient side and the gas mileage isn’t impressive since new. I can only get average 24.5 mpg on daily drive in the city, and 26 ~ 28 mpg on the highway. A recent 250-mile road trip from Dallas to Austin our CX-5 got 27 mpg driving at 70 ~ 75 mph, and 26 mpg on the way back driving at 80 mph. Yes once I drove strictly under 70 mph on the highway several years ago from Houston to Dallas just to test the mpg and the result was close to 30 mpg. But that is a dangerous way to drive on Texas highway with the speed that slow.

And discussing mpg without mentioning engine type (2.0L、2.5L NA、2.5T、2.2D) and drivetrain (FWD、AWD) on the CX-5 is meaningless.

I had a chevy cruze prior to this. Great mpg but the miles starting getting high and along came the issues so I sold it. It was a 2013 with a auto 6 spd. Jump forward 10 years to this 2023 cx5 and it has a 6 spd while others are 7/8/9 speeds. Gearing and a transmission for mpg would help. My wife has a 23' Tucson and gets better mpg. Any guess why?
More gears will literally make 1-2mpg difference

Closer gear ratios are for acceleration, etc. When they started making 5-9 speeds those are overdrives which is strictly for mpgs. Heck, my 89 Corvette is a manual 6 spd. First year for it. Car runs 11s in the quarter and I can still get low 30's on hwy. A transmission revamp is needed esp. with gas prices here at $3.89 for 87.

Technological advancement and improvements in design.

Used to be only three speeds back in the day.
For old time sake...Even two speed was common in the '50s and '60S think of Ford-O-Matic and Chrysler had one too. GM famous Powerglide was still available in the '70s! My friend had a 1970 Chevelle with a 307 V8 and it would hit 60 mph before shifting to 2nd gear when floored. AFAIK the last two speed was the semi automatic Hondamatic used on a Civic in the early '80s. I've never had two speed trannies but I've had 3,4,5,6 and a couple of CVT. Not sure if I'll ever have 8,9 or 10.

For the lifetime of my vehicle, I've always been around 22mpg average. However, I do mostly city driving.

Last edited:
In my (new to me) 2013 CX-5, so the 2.0 and I have a 6mt I have achieved 35.6 and 33.5 my last 2 tanks. The second tank had about 50mi of towing a lightly loaded 5x8 utility trailer. I use premium fuel, as it has noticeably more power under 2500 rpm with it. A family friend was the previous owner and he would get 29-31mpg pretty much regardless of driving city or highway. my driving is about 40% city 30%urban 30% highway by distance.
Hope you all find this data point useful!

In my (new to me) 2013 CX-5, so the 2.0 and I have a 6mt I have achieved 35.6 and 33.5 my last 2 tanks. The second tank had about 50mi of towing a lightly loaded 5x8 utility trailer. I use premium fuel, as it has noticeably more power under 2500 rpm with it. A family friend was the previous owner and he would get 29-31mpg pretty much regardless of driving city or highway. my driving is about 40% city 30%urban 30% highway by distance.
Damn this is so unfair! Did Mazda improve fuel economy that much in 5 years?

Damn this is so unfair! Did Mazda improve fuel economy that much in 5 years?

Improve in 5 years? Don't you have that backwards?

Keep in mind that JustThisGuy has a 2l engine with a manual trans. That most likely means that he's not in the USA and could possibly be using the Imperial gallon, which is 20% larger than the gallon we use here in the USA.

Improve in 5 years? Don't you have that backwards?

Keep in mind that JustThisGuy has a 2l engine with a manual trans. That most likely means that he's not in the USA and could possibly be using the Imperial gallon, which is 20% larger than the gallon we use here in the USA.
The first MY CX-5 in the US was 2013 (2012 MY world wide), and only came with a 2.0L engine. Mazda introduced 2.5L NA in MY 2014, and 2.0L with a 6-speed manual in basic Sport trim was available in the US until 2017 or 2018. Canada had it longer.

The first MY CX-5 in the US was 2013 (2012 MY world wide), and only came with a 2.0L engine. Mazda introduced 2.5L NA in MY 2014, and 2.0L with a 6-speed manual in basic Sport trim was available in the US until 2017 or 2018. Canada had it longer.

Sorry, my, mistake.

Back