CX-5: Cleaning the interior

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for cleaning products for the plastic area above the dash. It's coated with dust/dirt and wondering if anyone can recommend a cleaning product to make it look new. In addition, any recommendations to clean/preserve the leatherette seats? Thanks everyone!

303 Aerospace Protectant is a fairly decent product. Have used it for 20+ years on various vehicles. Leave little glare, little slickness/residues, and cleans sufficiently on an interior needing a bit of attention for dust, fingerprints, body oils and light gunge.

Good on plastics, vinyl, and can work in a pinch on leather/leatherette. Though, on leathers I would use a leather-specific cleaner and conditioner, such as the Lexol Cleaner and the Lexol Conditioner products.

303 Aerospace Protectant is a fairly decent product. Have used it for 20+ years on various vehicles. Leave little glare, little slickness/residues, and cleans sufficiently on an interior needing a bit of attention for dust, fingerprints, body oils and light gunge.

Good on plastics, vinyl, and can work in a pinch on leather/leatherette. Though, on leathers I would use a leather-specific cleaner and conditioner, such as the Lexol Cleaner and the Lexol Conditioner products.

This. I'm lazy and I just spray the 303 onto a microfiber cloth. The wet microfiber picks up the majority of the dirt and dust and leaves a thin layer of the protectant behind. I've been doing it this way for 5 years and my dash still looks great. Which reminds me.. I should clean my dash. Lol

On hard plastics I use a Swiffer cloth. It is great for grabbing dust and won't scratch the plastic.

Last edited:
I use one of these, California mini duster, for a lot of areas. Great product.

This. I'm lazy and I just spray the 303 onto a microfiber cloth. The wet microfiber picks up the majority of the dirt and dust and leaves a thin layer of the protectant behind.

Over the years, I've generally worked with two different types of microfiber cloths.

A very soft kind suitable for exterior paint, such as removal of polish and sealant residues.

And a much grabbier type for interior, to pick up and mildly "scrub" as much of the dust, dirt and oils from surfaces as possible. Of course, I use the soft kind for sensitive surfaces like the dash screens, which need to be treated more-gingerly.

Early 2000s, there was a line of oranged-colored microfiber cloths called "Dragon's Breath" and I'd found them at an online vendor named "Top Of The Line". Haven't seen those things for years, so I'm assuming the vendor folded, and/or the specific line of cloths tanked. Great stuff, though; softest cloths I've ever used.

Back