2013~2016 CX-5 Aftermarket Infotainment system Recommendations

Hello

I own a Mazda CX5 2013 Grand Touring with Bose.
I have the old radio system pictured (2013 CX5 Stereo). Great but I was looking for something new.

Im looking for an android aftermarket 10" infotainment system that is as compatible as possible. In particular the bose speaker system and the backup camera. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

I see a lot of various aftermarket android systems and many of them require a new backup camera or don't work with the driver wheel buttons.

Im looking at something like what's linked (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) or better. LTE or 5G availability is a great plus!

Thanks
Rico

Im looking at something like what's linked (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) or better. LTE or 5G availability is a great plus!
All of those "Pure Android" decks are JUNK. Oh, the feature set looks amazing, especially for the price. But I'm telling you, they are just plain frustrating. Ever tried to use a $30 Android tablet from Alibaba or Wish? Because it's exactly the same thing. You don't want this.

Buy a receiver from a name brand that you've heard of before that has Andriod Auto and/or CarPlay: Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, or JVC. They are all excellent units, and will integrate absolutely seamlessly with your Andriod or iPhone.

I have the Kenwood DDX8905S in my 2013 CX-5, and with the iDataLink Maestro RR interface, I even have a full gauge package, right on the head unit! Fact is, I liked the Kenwood so much, I bought one for my wife's Mazda5 and my Silverado.

1627389920872.png

Last edited:
Do these higher end units also have ability to program the vehicle customizations that can be set in the stock head unit?

I honestly have absolutely no idea what kind of customizations you're talking about, so I can't answer that.

I will take a picture… door locks, light settings, and auto wipers are configured in the infotainment on my North American ‘15 GT with Bose and Nav

Last edited:
On my '13, the door locks are controlled by a button on the remote or on the car door. The wiper speed and lighting controls are on their respective steering column stalks. So no clue about how yours are set up. Sorry.

I find it super odd your '15 is so vastly different from my '13, as the cars are the same generation, just 2 years apart.

Basic controls are in the normal spots like yours but configurations are within the infotainment screen.

Purchased new in Pacific Northwest in summer of 2014.

2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD

IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg
IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

Yeah, my car never had any of those settings. I never had the factory Nav, which is probably why.

Contact iDataLink and see if those setting are retained. I know in other makes and models, all that kind stuff is still able to be adjusted, just not quite sure if it's implemented for Mazda.

And even if they aren't retained, it's not like you're adjusting them all of the time. Those are pretty much a "set and forget" type of thing. Headlight off timer? Like seriously: Who cares? :ROFLMAO:

All of those "Pure Android" decks are JUNK. Oh, the feature set looks amazing, especially for the price. But I'm telling you, they are just plain frustrating. Ever tried to use a $30 Android tablet from Alibaba or Wish? Because it's exactly the same thing. You don't want this.

Buy a receiver from a name brand that you've heard of before that has Andriod Auto and/or CarPlay: Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, or JVC. They are all excellent units, and will integrate absolutely seamlessly with your Andriod or iPhone.

I have the Kenwood DDX8905S in my 2013 CX-5, and with the iDataLink Maestro RR interface, I even have a full gauge package, right on the head unit! Fact is, I liked the Kenwood so much, I bought one for my wife's Mazda5 and my Silverado.

View attachment 301515
Sweet. I appreciate your input and my instincts tell me youre right and this is the way i'll inevitably go...

BUT

Those android headunits are so sexy!

If anyone has any experience on them and have any recommendations for a

2013 CX5 with bose with intent to retain as much original features as possible. please list them

thanks

Rico

I'm pretty happy with Bose system for the most part in my '15...perhaps when a direct plug and play option shows up in years ahead with full compatibility I will bite. I thought that option might have existed by now without a number of 3rd party adapters....but I will wait a little longer. No big deal. ...if not ...CX-5 will ride into the sunset stock.

Reactions: AVC
Hello

I own a Mazda CX5 2013 Grand Touring with Bose.
I have the old radio system pictured (2013 CX5 Stereo). Great but I was looking for something new.

Im looking for an android aftermarket 10" infotainment system that is as compatible as possible. In particular the bose speaker system and the backup camera. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

I see a lot of various aftermarket android systems and many of them require a new backup camera or don't work with the driver wheel buttons.

Thanks
Rico
i own a Dasaita Android unit:
10.2 inch IPS 1280x720 resolution
Android 10
CArplay & Android Auto built in (Wired & Wireless)
4GB RAM & 64GB ROM
Scout integrated GPS NAvigation
Wifi Dual 2.4/5GHz
Bluetooth 5..0

It comes with a CAnbus that allows retenetion and configuration of the following features:
Wheel buttons
Stock options for Doors Lock/Wipers & lights
Stock Camera (sorry for the photo...the sun light was directly poiting to the car)
Stock parking sensors
Auxx and armrest USB
Valid for both Bose and Non Bose systems

Being Android you can install all the apps you want:
*Spotify/Waze....
apart you can use them from your phone

The Headunit has a frame that fully integrates into the dashboard

Attachments

• 20210914_175502.jpg
    20210914_175502.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 20210914_175533.jpg
    20210914_175533.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 629
  • 20210914_175626.jpg
    20210914_175626.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 577
Absolutely, Positively, Correct. Which is why I tried three different ones before I just couldn't stand it anymore.
I dont know which ones you tried...
There are a lot of brands that seems to be similar (they buy the same frame from an external manufacturer), but internally are very different.

First of all: RAM
Second: good aftermarked support of manufacturer. This is not very common. In my case I had luck with Dasaita. In any case, the product that Dasiat makes is very well suported by community (dedicated forums and third party custom ROMS for these specific units)
Third: Good hardware Quality

All of them, no matter the brand, be it Eonon, Ersin, Joying, Atoto, Autopumpkin, Seicane, insert Chinesium brand here, are actually all made by the exact same company, and come off of the exact same assembly line. They are really made by Shenzhen Klyde, and all are made with the exact same complete indifference to any kind of QA/QC.

With the utter lack of any QA/QC, you might actually hit the lottery and get one that is actually functional, at least for a while. But those chances are slim at best.

They are, in a word, trash.

Some of that brand make MTCE mcu based units.....as well as Dasaita....but not all are manufacturers (some of them only reselllers from.same manufacturer)
I even doubt that all are from the same manufacturer.

The core board is made by HCT for all MTCE units (they manufacture the rockchip PX series corebords), but not the mainboard. Software was made by HCT as well, with certain customizations for specific manufacturers.
They key here is the quality of the mainboard (which is the one that contains everything except the processor: mcu, connectivity, dsp module...)
Dasaita is a manufacturer (hotaudio) and they manufacture their own main boards.
If the headunits you tried came from.same manufacturer you got the same quality....

I owned several dasaita products and I am satisfied. You are generalizing with (perhaps) one bad experience. I can tell you that I had a pioneer double din mirror link headunit that it died just 10 days after the warranty period expired....so....for me is unacceptable for a brand that claims so high quality products (and high prices).

The Chinese android units open a new slot for advanced products with a contained price.
The key is selecting a Chinese brand with good reputation and support.

It's not me having "one bad experience", I love the idea of them so much that I tried three different ones, unfortunately with each being worse than the last. And my experience is most assured *not* out of the ordinary. Searching any of the Mazda groups, be it Internet forums or Facebook message boards, it's a very common thread that these things are trash.

I'm glad you were one of the lucky ones that got a functional unit, and I even said that that is possible. But believe me, you are in a small minority of people who lucked out.

It's not me having "one bad experience", I love the idea of them so much that I tried three different ones, unfortunately with each being worse than the last. And my experience is most assured *not* out of the ordinary. Searching any of the Mazda groups, be it Internet forums or Facebook message boards, it's a very common thread that these things are trash.

I'm glad you were one of the lucky ones that got a functional unit, and I even said that that is possible. But believe me, you are in a small minority of people who lucked out.
I believe you....but as I pointed it depends on the manufacturer and the support.
Did you go to xda forums? Where people are enjoying custom Roms with many of the bugs solved?

Back