CV joint replacement?

hworth18

:
Mazda3s
I have a grinding/growling noise coming from the front right which is more pronounced when the car is cold. It seems to occur mostly when making sharp right turns and immediately after coming off from a stop. I just had the struts and upper strut mounts replaced and the shop tells me the wheel bearings check out. This pretty much leaves the CV joints maybe? The 3 is a 2.3 w/ a 5 speed and 105k miles.

Thanks in advance for the input.(burnout)

Cv joints

I too need help with cv joints. i am changing out my engine and need help getting my cv joints and axles out of the trans. anyone know?

cv joint would make clicking and clacking sound.. not humming.. humming = wheel bearings !!!

cv joint would make clicking and clacking sound.. not humming.. humming = wheel bearings !!!

Well, the sound could be like a clacking sound, much like the noise when you put a playing card in a bicycle wheel, only deeper and with a grinding sound to it.

Sounds to me like you have a wheel caliper issue...You might want to get your brakes checked out.

as far as getting the cv out of the tranny, really big pry bar. no jokes thats dealership approved.

as for the grinding noise, try to get the car in the air and move the wheels around, try to replicate the noise. find exactly where its coming from.

I have had the car on the lift, but the noise only occurs when a load is placed on the drivetrain (when accelerating). I can put the car in Neutral and the noise stops, so I don't think it is related to the brakes or wheel bearings. I am leaning towards the intermediate axle shaft and balancer have gone bad since that is where the noise seems to be coming from.

Problem solved!!
Got the 3 back on the lift today and did a thorough examination of the underside. Turns out that what isn't visible from above is visible from below and my #3 motor mount was garbage. I replaced the motor mount and the car runs great! No more grinding, thumping, bumping, no noise at all.

Funny thing is that you can't see the motor mount very well from above because of the coolant tank, but it was obvious from below.

Back