Current CX-50 Owners: Wired CarPlay?

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Do either of the front USB connections also permit wired Carplay, or is the vehicle strictly wireless? I know some vehicles with wireless CP also allow a wired connection. I forgot to check if there were any icons printed next to the front ports when at the dealer this week. The current owner's manual doesn't say one way or the other, and I couldn't find an image of the front USB ports.

One of the USBs inside the center console (under the armrest) allows carplay/android-auto. I believe that was standard with our '19 touring, but I also did the MazdaAIO tweaks and cannot remember if that had something to do with it.

One of the USBs inside the center console (under the armrest) allows carplay/android-auto. I believe that was standard with our '19 touring, but I also did the MazdaAIO tweaks and cannot remember if that had something to do with it.
Thank you. I think you are talking about the CX-5, as my current '19 CX-5 has (only) that wired CP USB port in the storage area under the armrest, but no wireless. But, my question is about the CX-50. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah my CX-50 is wireless for my Android, it is flawless to connect. Only thing I dislike is having Google Maps locked on my phone while in carplay mode. Sure it is on my cars screen but not as many features as my phone app.

Only thing I dislike is having Google Maps locked on my phone while in carplay mode. Sure it is on my cars screen but not as many features as my phone app.

Do you mean that while in CarPlay the Mazda nav isn't easily accessed? Or do you mean the CarPlay Google Maps is less featured than the phone app version?

If the latter, there are still a lot of features in the CarPlay GM version, but harder to access as things are within sub-menus, etc.

And of course, I think the head's up display only shows nav info if the Mazda nav system is being used.

I do not have a standalone nav on my Mazda. Yes the wired or wireless Google Maps is less featured on the Car screen as with my phone one can access photos of a destination and reviews of a place.

So I have to do a search before I get into my car on Google Maps and then it will appear as a search option on the car screen.

Sure I could use voice to search on AA or CP but with less info given by the system of the destination.

Aha, yes, I do the same thing--I search my destination on my phone or desktop before I leave and then also save that destination if one I will be using more than once but irregularly.

Okay, finally figured out that if your vehicle has the in-car Wifi hotspot set up, it requires the disabling of the wireless CarPlay connection to use (and it tells you that when you go to turn on the wifi). I've seen online this behavior is also the same for other non-Mazda vehicles with wireless CP and hotspot capabilities--it is a result of the limitation of the phone, which can only accept one wireless connection at a time (the phone sees the wireless CP as a Wifi connection, like if you connected to your home wireless network, etc).

The workaround, however, is that you can connect the phone using a wire to one of the center console USB ports and the CP connection will then work again (just not wirelessly). This is the same for other non-MZ vehicles. This behavior isn't documented in the current owner's manual or the Connect system guides and in fact the manual states that the USB ports are only for charging and not for audio.

So, that answers my original question that yes, the CX-50 also permits wired CP and not just wireless, or at least after the wireless CP setup is complete. :giggle:

Last edited:
Can you play YouTube or Netflix while driving on wireless CP?

As of now, neither YT, NF or other streaming video iOS apps are compatible with CP in any vehicle due to the driver distraction factor. There are ways around that, including jailbreaking and also certain 3rd party CP dongles and more complex/expensive "boxes" which will also enable screen sharing/throwing/Airplay, etc.

Video files apparently can be played from a USB stick when the car is parked:

Watch Video on Mazda | 2021 Mazda Video Play on 7th Gen Infotainment System

Looks like there are tweaks available for jailbroken iPhones which permit direct usage via CarPlay of original video streaming and other non-officially supported apps. Here's one I just found at random, but cannot vouch for anything about it:

CarPlayEnable

Back