Curb ate my car

xfz

:
2010 RX-8
074.jpg

I was moving slightly fast through a yellow light when the car in front of me decided to stop midway through the corner we were both taking, I locked up the brakes, crossed 2 lanes of traffic (it was 4am, the only car on the road was the guy in front of me), and hit a high curb, rode across some grass and took out a bush.

Only real damage was to the driver side front suspension (though the passenger curtain airbags, and ONLY the passenger curtain airbags, went off, even the adjuster couldn't figure out why). The tow truck driver destroyed the front bumper when he slid the T-bar under it (though it was already taped together anyways).

Hmmmm if the curtain airbag went off it might not look good.... If Marc can chime in due to his recent events, he might add some insight.

btw you should steal the TPMS for Jenn if you can. (Yeah I know... It's impossible.)

Damn that sucks!!!! Good thing the driver's side curtain airbags didn't go off or you'd likely have a concussion. Very strange that the opposite side went off.... So what now? Waiting for insurance?

Haha thanks Chris but I stole them from Gary's wheels.. shhhh don't tell him.

Remember I got a concussion from the side airbag hitting my head Jen...lol. Glad you're okay, sorry to see the damage happen to you. My damage is all done to my driver front and a little in the rear so I can't be of much help with spare parts, but if you can think of something, feel free to let me know man. Sorry again, it's depressing..I know. It's funny because mine happened at 1am... maybe RX8's have a curfew we didn't know about.. :/

Ouch....glad to hear that you are ok! Very odd that the opposite side bags deployed???

Probably should have mentioned that the insurance co decided that the car was a total loss. I have to guess that the frame got damaged somewhere in the process, which might explain the airbags going off. There were passengers in the car but there was really no visible damage of any kind to the passenger side, neither of them got hit by the airbags either. No one really realized they went off until after the fact.

Sorry to hear it man. :/ Don't let them screw you on price. I got $14,000 for mine. 2004 with 56k.

Zelse, you mind sending me the details on your car and how they calculated the value (at least as best as you remember). I know Sokim got the shaft with his insurance co and I can already tell my insurance co is grabbing the KY for me. I'm trying to get comps together so I can at least get close to what its worth

I just went to Kelly Blue Book, put in all the options and mileage, and then gave them that number and told them where I got it from. :D

Sorry to hear about it being a total loss. Way to think ahead and start gathering info for the ins. co. Best of luck in dealing with them!

Got the call this morning, they were actually fairly gentle, even cuddled a little bit afterwards (gave me the cost of tax, tags and registration which offset my deductible, which is probably normal but I wasn't expecting it).

Back