Cubby holes in 2016 Touring trim

festus

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Mainly questions, but a bit of a rant:)

There is a small bin in the dash on the left of the driver. What do people use it for? It is too small and shallow to have any use as far as I can see. My old Honda Element had a little swing open drawer there. Perfect for keeping change for parking meters. The storage tray in the arm rest is no good for change because it is so easy to knock it and spill the contents when accessing other things. FYI, my solution for change was to purchase a small change purse! Perfect! I throw it into the glove compartment.

Another bin: rectangular, fairly deep one next to the cup holders. My sales person, when giving his spiel, said '..and these are the cup holders and I do not know what this is for'. Ha Ha. I guess one could keep the aforementioned coins in there, but I don't like money on display in my car.

I use the front door bins to keep a few maps. I don't use them too often in these days of GPS navigation, but it is useful to have them on occasion for the big picture.

I keep a box of tissues in the arm rest compartment. It fits perfectly.

The CX-5 is so much fun to drive! I let my 21 year old niece (who has a very wealthy friend who owns a BMW X5) give it a spin and she said it drives like Caroline's BMW!

The little cubby hole to the left and lower from the steering wheel is for the option NAV, that's where they put the SD card reader, although I've heard on the 2016 they moved the card reader to the center dashboard somewhere.

Another bin: rectangular, fairly deep one next to the cup holders. My sales person, when giving his spiel, said '..and these are the cup holders and I do not know what this is for'. Ha Ha. I guess one could keep the aforementioned coins in there, but I don't like money on display in my car.

I believe the rectangular deep bin by the cup holders is for you to store your phone in :)

I can confirm that the SD card slot has now been moved to the center of the dash.

I agree with the original poster. My Highlander had a swing down door to the left of the steering wheel, which made it perfect for coins. As they moved the Nav SD card to the center console they should have made better use of that space/ A swing down door would be ideal. At first glance I also thought the section next to the cup holder is for my phone but I find myself putting my phone under the center section by the USB charger. I put my lip balm in the section next to the cup holder. Still haven't figured out where to put my coins.

I don't like to keep a lot of junk in my bins so I find the change tray is perfect for me. Only thing I need from the bin underneath is my work keys and badge and that's easy enough to grab without disturbing the tray. I have a couple remotes down there that work with the mirror but thet just stay put. I keep my personal cell in the narrow bin next to the cup holders and my work cell down by the usb chargers. I like the little groove for running the charger cable out from the big bin under the armrest so it makes sense to put my cell close to it to avoid cord clutter.

Last edited:
The little cubby hole to the left and lower from the steering wheel is for the option NAV, that's where they put the SD card reader, although I've heard on the 2016 they moved the card reader to the center dashboard somewhere.

That is correct - it's a leftover space from the 2015 SD reader which was moved and placed behind the shifter in 2016.

I find it useless too - I don't know why they kept the old space.

Does the CX-5 have an ashtray? My Tribute came with a round ashtray cup with a flip-top cover that fits in either of the drink holders. I don't smoke, so I use it for coins. It comes in pretty handy when I need to make perfect change at McDonalds. Also on the Tribute theres a tiny little coin holder thingy on the left side of the dash that holds about 8 quarters for toll roads.
Also does the CX5 have a cigarette lighter? I think all I saw was a covered socket.

Last edited:
That is correct - it's a leftover space from the 2015 SD reader which was moved and placed behind the shifter in 2016.

It's funny I never even noticed it until this thread. Yeah, it's useless. Not deep enough to hold anything without falling out.

Very few manufacturers will spend extra millions to re tool or find new sources to make a completely new dash design, even just a lower panel. They'll most likely wait until '17 models to change it completely.
Also a good spot for an aftermarket amp switch/bass knob.

I like my spot better[emoji13]
43bebb7201cd87d404494fab54b85505.jpg

Last edited:
Back