Crappy gas mileage

Racer 5 said:
Add gas after you drove 100 miles or so, when needle still says full, and you WILL put in a quarter tank of gas.

Racer 5 is right. I've noticed this in my P5 and also my last two cars. I would for sure like to know how they design gas gauges.

Racer 5 is right. I've noticed this in my P5 and also my last two cars. I would for sure like to know how they design gas gauges.

The design of these gauges are a "sensory science " thing, along with the throttle. Ever notice, when you first drive a car, and you get that "Wow, you just tap the gas, and it flys"? And then they seem to loose power as you go? They do this for Marketing and sensory. If they didn't our cars (like most others) would be dogs off the line. Like I said these gauges/instruments are NOT LINEAR. I used to work in a Metrology department, and know full well about the design of guages. Like the speedometer also, the most accurate stages of the speedo are in its Mid-Range (like 50-75 or so) after, that it is a close, but not true, representation of speed. This applies for all gauges. Anyone ever take an ammeter or ohmmeter~~ why do you think they have all those settings, for True readings.

The design of these gauges are a "sensory science " thing, along with the throttle. Ever notice, when you first drive a car, and you get that "Wow, you just tap the gas, and it flys"? And then they seem to loose power as you go? They do this for Marketing and sensory. If they didn't our cars (like most others) would be dogs off the line. Like I said these gauges/instruments are NOT LINEAR. I used to work in a Metrology department, and know full well about the design of guages. Like the speedometer also, the most accurate stages of the speedo are in its Mid-Range (like 50-75 or so) after, that it is a close, but not true, representation of speed. This applies for all gauges. Anyone ever take an ammeter or ohmmeter~~ why do you think they have all those settings, for True readings.

I forgot where the thread about grade of gas was, but my PR5 pings with 87 Oct...I have to go with at least midgrade, even though I know everyone says to only use regular. :confused:

when i first got my p5, i was getting only 420km, which i thought crap, cause i was driving like grandma....shifting up at 2500rpm.

but after driving for 4000km, my mileage went up a lot~!!
now, im shifting at 5~6000rpm, and getting about 520km with 45 litres of 87 octane fuel.
i know the gas tank is 55L, but i never get to fill up more than 47litres, even though i drive 30km after fuel empty light come up.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
I forgot where the thread about grade of gas was, but my PR5 pings with 87 Oct...I have to go with at least midgrade, even though I know everyone says to only use regular. :confused:

Hello Mazdaspeedgirl

Go to a mechanic you really trust and ask him/her to adjust timing by reducing spark advance .5 to 1 degree, drive a few days using SAME gasoline and listen to your engine. If it still pings, adjust another degree. You'll get results, it's worth the time.

I had this problem with my previous car and I had to be patient and take the time to get rid of this.

Take care.

zoom said:
when i first got my p5, i was getting only 420km, which i thought crap, cause i was driving like grandma....shifting up at 2500rpm.

but after driving for 4000km, my mileage went up a lot~!!
now, im shifting at 5~6000rpm, and getting about 520km with 45 litres of 87 octane fuel.
i know the gas tank is 55L, but i never get to fill up more than 47litres, even though i drive 30km after fuel empty light come up.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I shift at 4000RPM, drive mostly on the highway at 110-120km/h, use 87 octane gasoline and I can easily drive 600km per tank (filled to the cap). I use a K&N air filter and strongly believe it helps (part no.33-2134). My odometer now reads close to 10000km and I average 33mpg(imperial gallons for our friends to the south). I still think mpg will go up afer 25000km, so wait a little more before you complain to your dealer/Mazda.

well boys and girls, to start off with i average anywhere from 32-33MPG combo and about 35-36MPG highway driving. Secondly if you read the owners manual the 2.0L requires at least 91 octane fuel. It's considered the "special edition" engine.

20ESGUY said:
well boys and girls, to start off with i average anywhere from 32-33MPG combo and about 35-36MPG highway driving. Secondly if you read the owners manual the 2.0L requires at least 91 octane fuel. It's considered the "special edition" engine.

On page 4-2 of the Canadian Owner's Guide, it reads :

Regular unleaded fuel - 87 [(R+M)/2 method] or above (91 RON or above)

I guess it depends on the method used... I'll stick with 87, it's cheaper and my P5's engine takes it well, no pings.;)

Yeah ours in the us, or at least mine on the back cover, lists the 91 RON method. I had no clue what that was so i did some research on it when i first got the car. from what i could read and understand on the subject the RON method was real close to the RM/2 method. besides, i've used 91 ocatane now for over 16k miles and gotten killer gas milage, no build up of carbon, and no excess fuel burn...so i'm just gonna stick with it. Racer91 i believe our compression ratio is either 9:1 or 9.5:1, usually anything over 8:1 will do good on midgrade (89) or above.

Most pumps in the US say (R+M)/2 method in small print by the octane number. I don't recall what Canadian pumps say. Japanese are not (R+M)/2 but I can't remember if they are RON or something else.

What to do?

I did a highway run yesterday and only got 23.69 miles per US gallon / 9.93 litres per 100 km.

I drove like an old man, keeping under 60mph, tires inflated properly, etc, etc.

Do I need service or something done to my car, I've read something about 02 sensor being faulty, K&N air filters, etc.

I need an oil change in a few weeks so is there anything I should be asking the mechanic to check out.

Wow! You brought this one back from the dead!

To be honest, mine isn't doing any better. The K&N is clean, tires in excellent shape, I drive at the speed limit (60mph), never over rev, and the recent average is about 9.7 l/100km...very bad.

Next step I might try is to replace the ignition coils ($$$). They are starting to separate because of corrosion and the technicians say that the "Check Engine" light might blink soon. After that, the engine won't even start. I'll have the spark plugs replaced at the same time and check the timing.

I would love to give you any advice, but I'm in the same situation and if I can't find a solution, with todays price of gas, I might opt to sell the car and get a Civic.

If you do find something, don't hesitate to write a reply.

I didn't want to start a new topic and I don't normally do long road trips.

This was the first time I recorded the mileage and I was shocked. Nice weather coming, I will have to get on my bicycle more often. (lol2)

To be honest, mine isn't doing any better. The K&N is clean, tires in excellent shape, I drive at the speed limit (60mph), never over rev, and the recent average is about 9.7 l/100km...very bad.

Next step I might try is to replace the ignition coils ($$$). They are starting to separate because of corrosion and the technicians say that the "Check Engine" light might blink soon. After that, the engine won't even start. I'll have the spark plugs replaced at the same time and check the timing.

I would love to give you any advice, but I'm in the same situation and if I can't find a solution, with todays price of gas, I might opt to sell the car and get a Civic.

Civics dont get that much better gas mileage...I get 30MPG average mixed....the only way youre going to get significantly better mileage is by getting a hybrid or hopping on a bike for those short trips

Man, I was haulin 500+ lbs in the back of my P5 a week ago all through out the Smokey Mountains in TN and I still got 30+ MPG! WOOO I love my P5!

i find that very hard to believe.

first off. getting your car to a desired speed might take a while with 500 extra pounds.

second. your epa mpg doesnt even go to 30 mpg highway miles. with mod maybe worse

unless you were hauling it through the mountains at LOW speeds i dont see how 30mpg is possible

2 extra people in my p5 makes the p5 struggle going and stopping. so idk how 500lbs would do on mountains.

Back